Is the unmodified Canon 5D3 any good for infrared photography with R72 filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi !

I like playing around with B&W infrared photos using a Hoya R72 (or similar) infrared screw on filter and long exposures.

Since some cameras are better than others at shooting infrared without hardware modification, I wonder how does the Canon 5D3 fare ?

My original 5D Classic Mark I was ok (ish) ... Exposure times of approx 4 mins f11 at 100 iso in sunlight with R72.

The Canon 5D Mark II seemed to have a stronger internal IR filter making exposure times even longer and was less practical without hardware modification.

Is the 5D Mark III likely to have an even stronger internal IR filter that makes infrared photography almost impossible without hardware modification and removal of the standard factory fitted internal IR filter ?

Does anyone have experience with using UNMODIFIED Canon 5D3 and filters for infrared photography ?

Thanks in advance ...

I have played a little with mine. I only have an old 52mm so I used step down rings on the 50mm 1.4
and 28 mm 1.8. I was surprised to be able to use live view to focus. I can't post any pic's right now and don't remember what settings I was using , but remember thinking it was more sensitive than the 40D and a lot more than I thought it would be. I didn't setup a timer so I know it was 30 sec or less exposures, if you want I'll look them up tonight when I get home.

Upvote 0
Thanks Niteclicks ... would love to see results with 5D3.

I think you may need exposures in minutes rather than seconds for correct exposure.

Also the 50mm f1.4 i think is a lens prone to IR hotspots - the f1.8 less so.

I already have an IR modified 5DC -,Ideally i want a camera that i can shoot everything on - colour stills, HD video, raw, 360 panoramas and IR. Greedy i know ... but makes for a nice light kit ! :D

Upvote 0
Thanks guys for the nice comments,

That was taken at 30secs, f8, ISO400 at 105mm. Tweaked in Lightroom. The focus was off slightly and the exposure noise correction has brought in some very slight banding, but I like 'dark', grainy B&Ws... ;)

Here's another from the same viewpoint at 24mm. This time 30s, f5.6 at ISO100. The exposure time was trialled to get the best effect of the blades and clouds.

Attachments

• 8664071646_82cba93a89_b.jpg
    8664071646_82cba93a89_b.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 3,217
Upvote 0

shutterwideshut

IR and Long Exposure junkie
Oct 15, 2012
Southeast Asia
Nitroman said:
Does anyone have experience with using UNMODIFIED Canon 5D3 and filters for infrared photography ?

Here are some shots I did with the 5D3+17-40mm f/4L+Hoya R72 combo.

The Invisible Spectrum
Canon EOS 5D Mark III ı Canon EF17-40mm f/4L USM ı Hoya R72 IR Filter ı 25mm ı 120s ı f/8 ı ISO 200

The Invisible Spectrum by shutterwideshut on Flickr

Marina Bay in Infrared
Canon EOS 5D Mark III ı Canon EF17-40mm f/4L USM ı Hoya R72 IR Filter ı 17mm ı 120s ı f/8 ı ISO 200

Marina Bay in Infrared by shutterwideshut on Flickr

Déjà vu
Canon EOS 5D Mark III ı Canon EF17-40mm f/4L USM ı Hoya R72 IR Filter ı 17mm ı 239s ı f/8 ı ISO 100

Déjà vu by shutterwideshut on Flickr

I would say that the workflow with an unmodified camera is quite tedious due to the long exposure needed for every shot. :eek: But it's fun as it slows you down to think more about composition unlike the IR modified camera wherein you can shoot anything on sight at once without the need of a tripod. ;)

For the above shots, the WB was set to a predefined custom WB based on the foliage and post-processed via a custom profile on ACR then futher tweaked in CS6.

This maybe a bit off topic but the Hoya R72 has a 720nm cut-off and it is not as flexible as what a 660nm or a 590nm filter cut-off can do. Here are some of my examples from my old IR Modified 20D with a 590nm cut-off for comparison:

Final Fantasy
IR Modified Canon EOS 20D ı Canon EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM ı 10 mm ı 1/250s ı f/8 ı ISO 200

Final Fantasy by shutterwideshut on Flickr

Ethereal Garden
IR Modified Canon EOS 20D ı Canon EF17-40mm f/4L USM ı 17mm ı 1/250s ı f/9 ı ISO 200
Ethereal Garden by shutterwideshut on Flickr

Bedok Reservoir
IR modified Canon EOS 20D ı Canon EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM ı Lee Big Stopper ı Singh Ray LB Warming Polarizer ı 10mm ı 30s ı f/9 ı ISO 100

Bedok Reservoir by shutterwideshut on Flickr

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Spooky said:
Thanks guys for the nice comments,

That was taken at 30secs, f8, ISO400 at 105mm. Tweaked in Lightroom. The focus was off slightly and the exposure noise correction has brought in some very slight banding, but I like 'dark', grainy B&Ws... ;)

Here's another from the same viewpoint at 24mm. This time 30s, f5.6 at ISO100. The exposure time was trialled to get the best effect of the blades and clouds.

These posts are all great, but this one is my favourite one so far. Hoya R72. I will check if there's one for my 82mm 16-35 f/2.8 USM II.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.