Issues with the R5 1.5.0 firmware?

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
You misunderstood, it’s not just when the function is active the issues are there. If I check it and then uncheck it, the issue is there until I perform a factory reset and reload my saved settings.
Now I understand. Yes, that sounds like a bug!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hi all!

Some people are reporting the 1.5.0 firmware missing from many Canon sites. Also reports of weird iso values when using Av and auto iso and some says face tracking is worse. Might be issues in Fv also.

I haven’t seen issues with mine, but very limited testing so far.
Don't if it is missing, but I can say I had a problem since installing. Had the camera on for a while, no photos taken, Action was about to start, put it up and the screen was blank, push down on the shutter button Nothing. Menu button worked. Powered off and on still blank changed the lens, OK, put the old lens on and was fine. Missed the shot after all this. R5, had the RF to EF converter on 600mm F4, changed to the RF 100-500mm and back. Can't explain what happen. Never had this issue till 1.5.

• Sad
Upvote 0

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
I can confirm this method works to roll back the R5. It now works like it should on firmware 1.4.0.

Bro. Honestly so happy to hear you got your camera back to 1.4. I just wanted to say that before I watch the video. None of what was going on with your camera trying to roll back was making sense.

Upvote 0

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
Actually it wasn’t. Start update with card with 1.5.0, open card door, insert second card with 1.4.0, close door , choose 1.4.0 and run update:)

thanks, I’m really glad it seemed to do the trick also:geek:
Ok good to know if I'm ever in a similar situation. Truth be told I took both my R6's back to 1.4. I didn't have any problems expressly, but that eye AF jumps around like crazy and I don't like it. Seems like 1.4 is just more stable.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Ok good to know if I'm ever in a similar situation. Truth be told I took both my R6's back to 1.4. I didn't have any problems expressly, but that eye AF jumps around like crazy and I don't like it. Seems like 1.4 is just more stable.
Have you adjusted the settings in the AF menu to make it stickier. I use Servo, case 2 with tracking slider to the left and acceleration slider to the right.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
So here’s an update I hope someone with a deeper technical understanding of software can shine some light on.

I’ve up- and downgraded my R5 several times and decided not just stick to 1.4.0, but send it to Canon and they can fix it while still under warranty. So, for the sixth time, I upgraded to 1.5.0 and was going to send it in, just wanted to take some shots and yet again confirm the issues. When it suddenly just works. I have no idea why, I’ve done the process the same as always and now it’s really, really good, a solid upgrade from 1.4.0.

Can it be bugs in the installation part of the firmware?

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
So here’s an update I hope someone with a deeper technical understanding of software can shine some light on.

I’ve up- and downgraded my R5 several times and decided not just stick to 1.4.0, but send it to Canon and they can fix it while still under warranty. So, for the sixth time, I upgraded to 1.5.0 and was going to send it in, just wanted to take some shots and yet again confirm the issues. When it suddenly just works. I have no idea why, I’ve done the process the same as always and now it’s really, really good, a solid upgrade from 1.4.0.

Can it be bugs in the installation part of the firmware?
I can't answer this question, but I'm curious about a possibly related factor: Have you ever made custom tweaks to your Picture Styles, maybe using Canon's Picture Style Editor? I'm beginning to suspect that some picture styles, namely Fine Detail, work better than others. I had a custom style with shadows raised so I could see detail in them through the EVF, and my AF performance seemed off. Switched back to Fine Detail and it was excellent again.

I wonder if this issue is worth a thread of its own...I will try to come up with a reproducible test before I make any further claims!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I can't answer this question, but I'm curious about a possibly related factor: Have you ever made custom tweaks to your Picture Styles, maybe using Canon's Picture Style Editor? I'm beginning to suspect that some picture styles, namely Fine Detail, work better than others. I had a custom style with shadows raised so I could see detail in them through the EVF, and my AF performance seemed off. Switched back to Fine Detail and it was excellent again.

I wonder if this issue is worth a thread of its own...I will try to come up with a reproducible test before I make any further claims!
I haven’t used Fine Detail, but I have changed some things in the Standard one, but not since I bought the camera so it’s always been the same for me.

Upvote 0