Leica Announces SL Type 601 Mirrorless Camera

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
$7000 for the body and $5000 for the glass... yikes. Comparing MILC to MILC, is this really THAT much better than, say, an a7II with a similar 24-70 lens for 1/3- 1/4 the price? Leica makes great machines but good lord.... I get the size... they want to make it more of robust pro-level size. I don't care for the smaller, typical MILC bodies. 11fps is great but are wildlife/sports/photojournalists really going to consider this camera? No way. So what's left is pure image quality and I can't see it being $6000 better than an Alpha also with 24MP.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
PureClassA said:
$7000 for the body and $5000 for the glass... yikes. Comparing MILC to MILC, is this really THAT much better than, say, an a7II with a similar 24-70 lens for 1/3- 1/4 the price? Leica makes great machines but good lord.... I get the size... they want to make it more of robust pro-level size. I don't care for the smaller, typical MILC bodies. 11fps is great but are wildlife/sports/photojournalists really going to consider this camera? No way. So what's left is pure image quality and I can't see it being $6000 better than an Alpha also with 24MP.

The funny bit is that H'Blad tried a similar value proposition with cloning one-step-older-than-current-gen Sony tech into their terrible Lunar/Stellar rigs and they were laughed off the map.

Now, Leica's actually making their own product here and it's likely far better dialed-in for professional use, but spec wise, it's a similar value proposition to H'Blad from before -- underwhelming specs for considerably more money than the spec leaders.

Again, other than wealthy people, I'm whiffing on nailing down who sees this camera's announcement and says "At last! Now I can do _________ that I never could before. Take my money."

- A

Upvote 0
Back in the film days I drooled over Leica cameras and, in particular, lenses. But they were simply out of my budget. However, today, when budget is much less of a concern and we have gone digital, I have great difficulty seeing why I should go that way. In addition to Canon´s eminent L-series, which is getting better for every new release (I´m getting the 35/1.4L II tomorrow), I have Zeiss and, in particular, the Otus series, which is way beyond my skill sets and probably also beyond what Leica can offer. I simply don´t see a single reason why I should pay the premium of getting a Leica.

Upvote 0
Leica will always have a market and for decades now they have not remotely tried to be the everyman's camera. That's fine. This camera isn't aimed at the average working photographer or keener hobbyist, so I wouldn't complain about it not being practical or overpriced...

... Except, even by the standards of Leica, £5,050 for a mirrorless camera which is essentially a Sony A7RmkI in a body the size of a 5D? Just bizarre.

Upvote 0

Xyclopx

I like to take pictures.
CR Pro
Dec 31, 2014
San Jose, CA
pics.xyclopx.com
about all the size complaints:

mirror-less is the future. i think that's pretty clear. the mirror someday will not offer any advantage, and will always be a disadvantage in certain ways.

however, that does not mean that mirror-less = small. i think many people prefer the size of their SLRs over the current rage of smaller MILCs, especially when already mounting gigantic lenses.

someday mirrorless cameras will replace SLRs. but the only way to 100% eliminate SLRs is to make some MILCs the same size for those that need the size and robustness. this is just the first step. canon and nikon will definitely follow someday. it's just a matter of time.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Bernard said:
Question: How much is the Canon camera that can do 4K and 11 fps?

Answer: $8,000 (above $10k at introduction)

...but that's completely different, right? $8k for 11 fps and 24 MP is outrageous, but $8k for 12 fps and 18 MP is a good deal!

You are making the colossal assumption that this new rig's AF will track like the 1DX. It doesn't.

http://www.cnet.com/products/leica-sl/

From the text review: "For speed shooting, keep in mind that it lacks tracking autofocus, and that its zone AF frequently picks the wrong part of the zone for focusing. Just like everyone else's."

In the video: "With continuous focus and auto exposure, that tests out to about 7 fps for JPEGs."

Just like most Sony mirrorless (and like a Ford Mustang) it's only good in a straight line. High FPS without continuous AF, pedestrian FPS with continuous AF.

Apples and oranges. The 1DX utterly obliterates the value proposition of this this Leica for action work. They are not even in the same time zones.

- A

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
unfocused said:
brad-man said:
Beauty is only skin deep.

Am I the only one who thinks this thing is ugly? It reminds me of the East German and Russian knock-off SLRs of the 1960s. Boxy and clunky looking.

No, you are not the only one. It looks like a German Industrial brick and is not appealing in the slightest. That is what I actually meant by the skin deep thing. It looks like it would probably survive a fall off of a mountain though, so I was curious as to the weather sealing/build quality aspect. I hope Lens Rentals gets one to test/dissect.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
brad-man said:
unfocused said:
brad-man said:
Beauty is only skin deep.

Am I the only one who thinks this thing is ugly? It reminds me of the East German and Russian knock-off SLRs of the 1960s. Boxy and clunky looking.

No, you are not the only one. It looks like a German Industrial brick and is not appealing in the slightest. That is what I actually meant by the skin deep thing. It looks like it would probably survive a fall off of a mountain though, so I was curious as to the weather sealing/build quality aspect. I hope Lens Rentals gets one to test/dissect.

1) LR typically doesn't dissect $10k+ gear. I'm not sure they'll bite at tearing open such an expensive niche item.

2) Here's what the CNET reviewer thought of the grip -- it's pretty awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu0xNMMhDXY&t=1m10s
(should queue up at 1:10 for the comment in question)

- A

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
Xyclopx said:
the mirror someday will not offer any advantage

It's hard to envision a future in which a mirror doesn't offer a power advantage over an electronic viewfinder.

Well, moving the mirror out the way must take a *teensy* bit of power, right? Could even out eventually?

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
scyrene said:
3kramd5 said:
Xyclopx said:

It's hard to envision a future in which a mirror doesn't offer a power advantage over an electronic viewfinder.

Well, moving the mirror out the way must take a *teensy* bit of power, right? Could even out eventually?

Not if its done by mechanical springs.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
scyrene said:
3kramd5 said:
Xyclopx said:

I expect displays to become more power hungry. Even if they go to OLED, with increases in resolution and brightness, the power consumption of an EVF will be greater than that of moving a flimsy mirror.

Upvote 0