Lots of New mirrorless and DSLR cameras in the pipeline

Surprised they’re not doing a higher MP version early next year. Based on the forum comments, a lot of people would buy. They should also do a low MP, high ISO version for video folks equal to the A7SII or III (when it’s released).
I thought this was going to happen right off the bat after they announced the video focus of future products. If they A7SIII isn't plagued with overheating issues and Canon doesn't have an answer for it by the time it's out, I might have to make the jump. A mirrorless 1DC should be a no brainer, just not at the insane price point of the first one.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Looking back how long it took Canon to come up with the 7D II, it would surprise me to see a Mk III version before the 2020s.
The 7D2 was delayed about a year because (if I recall correctly) they took a late decision incorporate more of the 5D/1Dx technology - if that were true I would look on that as taking up some of the cycle time to 7D3.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
I would be interested in one, but I wonder how well the 5DS and 5DSR actually sold or would sell today..

I'm sure not a few of the newer T/S lenses ended up on one of those cameras. Maybe not the cameras that make the interweb abuzz - fps and high ISO may not really be what you look for in studio work, landscapes, architecture, etc. where also the availability of some lenses (11-24, tilt and shift....) matters more. Sure, they're not mainstream cameras.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Surprised they’re not doing a higher MP version early next year.
They're already struggling with getting data off the sensor of the EOS R, as evidenced by the worst-in-class FPS, worst-in-class 4K, worst-in-class AF tracking with continuous AF, etc. Upping the megapixels will simply compound this issue. DPAF is absolutely fantastic and incredibly novel, but it's hamstringing the hell out of their cameras.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
There is one hard-stop here: if Canon wants the R series to be taken seriously, they need a 1DX2 equivalent before the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games. That is a showcase not just for the athletes but also for the photographers; Nikon, Canon and Sony all out-do themselves for the pro community. And it's on their home-turf. It would be embarrassing if Nikon had the Z7-mark2 and Sony had the A9iv out there while Canon didn't have an ultimate R ready to go.

I'd expect the CPS ready room to have rows and rows of the "1Rx" (have to call it something) with plenty of fast, action-driven RF lenses -- a 70-200 f/2.8, a 400 f2/.8, etc. You don't want to adapt EF lenses to your 1Rx at the Olympics, do you?

So Canon can have their 5D4-minus R, and their 6D2 equivalent R, etc., and build out the line in 2019. But for the Olympics they'd better be ready with the camera the pros want to use.

I am not sure I would call it a hard stop. Even Sony have only just released in the A9 a mirrorless with AF capability anywhere near the Canon 1Dx2 so to expect Canon to get anywhere near that with their second mirrorless FF body is wishful thinking: and pro who needs the 1Dx2 they will definitely not be jumping to the mirrorless equivalent.

Sony with an A9iv by then....??? That wold be a definite reason to not buy Sony if they are cycling their bodies that quickly :)

Upvote 0
There is one hard-stop here: if Canon wants the R series to be taken seriously, they need a 1DX2 equivalent before the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.
I don't see it happening. As I mentioned in another reply, they're already struggling with getting info off the sensor in a reasonable amount of time. There's NO WAY they'll be able to improve processing speed and power to the point that DPAF could support 20 FPS or more and I don't think there's any way they wouldn't put their marquee AF technology (DPAF) into their marquee body.
Compounding that issue is a lack of native telephoto lenses.
I see them beating the DSLR drum until the completion of the 2020 games, and maybe even 2022 or 2024. But don't worry, there are enough folks who bleed Canon red that it won't be a problem for them.

Upvote 0
I'm sure not a few of the newer T/S lenses ended up on one of those cameras. Maybe not the cameras that make the interweb abuzz - fps and high ISO may not really be what you look for in studio work, landscapes, architecture, etc. where also the availability of some lenses (11-24, tilt and shift....) matters more. Sure, they're not mainstream cameras.
Definitely agreed - it's a specialty product. And being a specialty product, Canon may not expect to move huge numbers of the camera making it a lower priority than other bodies for establishment of a mirrorless equivalent. The fact that the 5DS/SR didn't change price all that much over its lifespan would suggest to me that they're not looking to clear out inventory any time soon.

It just means we could be waiting for a while for a higher resolution FF mirrorless camera. Although, there was that interview with a Canon executive who noted that there is an uptick in demand for high-MP bodies...

Upvote 0

KenRockwell

1D X II / 5Ds R / 7D II / EOS R
Sep 5, 2018
Carlsbad, CA
kenrockwell.com
I have the EOS RT with the pellicle mirror film camera. Maybe Canon will not use the same model series.

They’ve re-used names before...The original film EOS M was a manual focus only budget EOS for non-Japan/North American markets.

Upvote 0
K437 : too early for a 5D markV, but maybe a 5Ds mark4?
I don't know, that could be a 5D V - release was projected at 2019 or later, and if you said release late 2019 to mid-2020, that would be pretty close to the typical release cycle for 5D series cameras - 5DI was 2005Q3, 5DII was 2008Q4 (3 yr 1 quarter), 5DIII was 2012Q1 (3 yr 2 quarter) 5DIV was 2016Q3 (4 yr, 2 quarter).

Really anywhere from Q4 2019 to Q1 2021 would be in line with past release cycles I think. Interesting to me that there are no 5DS/SR resolution sensors on that list, but there are potential replacements for 5DIV.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I would be interested in one, but I wonder how well the 5DS and 5DSR actually sold or would sell today..

When Canon released those cameras there wasn't a lot of high-MP competition, but now there are a number of cameras that are pretty close in resolution, but have faster frame rates and better low light performance (or at the very least much higher ISO options). Since the market space for that kind of product is a bit more crowded than it was in 2015, I wonder if Canon sees that as a real opportunity.

I'd love one, don't get me wrong, but I do wonder how much market space exists for it.
It is the same as with cameras with less mpixels. If you have invested in Canon lenses it is Canon for you. I do have the 5DsR and I am satisfied by it. I would upgrade it to a 5DsRMKII without a second thought...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I don't know, that could be a 5D V - release was projected at 2019 or later, and if you said release late 2019 to mid-2020, that would be pretty close to the typical release cycle for 5D series cameras - 5DI was 2005Q3, 5DII was 2008Q4 (3 yr 1 quarter), 5DIII was 2012Q1 (3 yr 2 quarter) 5DIV was 2016Q3 (4 yr, 2 quarter).

Really anywhere from Q4 2019 to Q1 2021 would be in line with past release cycles I think. Interesting to me that there are no 5DS/SR resolution sensors on that list, but there are potential replacements for 5DIV.
By keeping the pixel count close to 5DIV's pixel count they have the opportunity to improve upon other issues like fps, DR, low and high ISO noise, etc

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I'd expect the CPS ready room to have rows and rows of the "1Rx" (have to call it something) with plenty of fast, action-driven RF lenses -- a 70-200 f/2.8, a 400 f2/.8, etc. You don't want to adapt EF lenses to your 1Rx at the Olympics, do you?

Why the hell not? Again I'm convinced that as we sit here on a forum wringing our hands into knots about even just the prospect of adapting lenses, Canon themselves knows and understands that the functionality of an EF lens on an RF body won't be compromised because the lens, adapter, and camera were all made by the same company to work well with each other with no issues.

This adapter-phobia brought on by years of adapting one company's lenses onto another company's cameras using a third company's adapter just simply isn't going to be relevant when you're using all three parts made by the same company. So while some may sit around and be terrified of a little metal ring between their camera and their lens, I suspect the photographers at the Olympics have better things to worry about.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Surprised they’re not doing a higher MP version early next year. Based on the forum comments, a lot of people would buy. They should also do a low MP, high ISO version for video folks equal to the A7SII or III (when it’s released).
This list, if accurate, is disappointing. If the 26MP model is a mirrorless version of the 1D, which I suppose it could be as the real pro level cameras from Canon/Nikon are low Rez by today’s standards, then ok. But I somehow don’t feel the viewfinder for that class of camera will be ready by then.

so this could be a lower priced model than the current one, just released. Then there will be no upgrade path for me to go to yet from my 5Dmk IV. But it could be a good way for,Canon to get aps-c users over.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ergo, a 26 megapixel full-frame mirrorless coming within one year? Could it be a higher speed action-oriented camera? Better video capabilities?

Get this straight. There will never be a Canon DSLR or mirrorless model with 'better video capabilities'. What was a suspicion earlier is now confirmed. If you are looking for serious video look to other brands.

Upvote 0
I would love the 26mp full frame mirorless to be a higher speed, higher end model with better high iso and video specs, reduced crop factor, etc but I suspect this will be a lower end 6D ii equivelant.

Bear in mind the R is a mirorless 5D IV with better codec, flip screen, except for dual card slots and FPS/continuous af. Even thought it’s priced less than 5D IV, canon has stated a couple of times it’s a 5D level camera, so a lower end model is likely I think.
5D4 has built-in GPS and intervalometer too.

Upvote 0