Lots of New mirrorless and DSLR cameras in the pipeline

Maybe. But it seems to me that youTube is becoming more and more influential in that respect.

In the past, friends/relatives/acquaintances would mostly accept my advice at face value. Now when friends/relatives/acquaintances ask me about gear, they get a puzzled look on their faces and start talking about the youTube videos they've watched that say "so and so" if I express an opinion that is different from the prevailing view on youTube.

I usually ask them why they wanted my opinion.
The same person probably gets their news from Yahoo.
They should take the You Tubers opinion. After all the guy did get .76 of a cents worth of opinion. Not even a full 2 cents worth.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I usually ask them why they wanted my opinion.
The same person probably gets their news from Yahoo.
They should take the You Tubers opinion. After all the guy did get .76 of a cents worth of opinion. Not even a full 2 cents worth.

Your original statement was:

Capturing the Pro market has been a Canon strategy for years. This isn't going to change.
Word of mouth is still a greater marketing strategy than You Tube.
Advanced Amateurs watch what the Pro's are using.
Relatives, beginners and friends come to the Pro's and Amateurs to find out what they should be buying.

The other thing is I know several people who think they could be You Tube millionaires, many people do and it becomes a joke. These bloggers many people take with a grain of salt when watching.

Are you now agreeing that youTube might have more influence than it once did over what people buy?

The influence of the youTube pot stirrers has reached a point where the camera makers are having to pay attention to it and it seems to be affecting the way they design their products.

Gone are they days when a team designing a lens primarily intended for portrait work would place smooth bokeh as a more highly desired attribute than absolute sharpness from corner to corner when imaging a flat test chart. Gone are the days when overall image quality at typically viewed sizes was a more important consideration than total megapixels and IQ at 100% pixel peeping magnifications.

More and more the cameras and lenses from all of the manufacturers are being designed to look good on the spec sheet and at DxO Mark. The actual appropriateness of the camera or lens for a specific intended task is no longer important. It's how the youTubers will react to the spec sheet and the DxO Mark results that matters now.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Your original statement was:

Are you now agreeing that youTube might have more influence than it once did over what people buy?

The influence of the youTube pot stirrers has reached a point where the camera makers are having to pay attention to it and it seems to be affecting the way they design their products.

Gone are they days when a team designing a lens primarily intended for portrait work would place smooth bokeh as a more highly desired attribute than absolute sharpness from corner to corner when imaging a flat test chart. Gone are the days when overall image quality at typically viewed sizes was a more important consideration than total megapixels and IQ at 100% pixel peeping magnifications.

More and more the cameras and lenses from all of the manufacturers are being designed to look good on the spec sheet and at DxO Mark. The actual appropriateness of the camera or lens for a specific intended task is no longer important. It's how the youTubers will react to the spec sheet and the DxO Mark results that matters now.

Of course You Tubers have more influence than they once did. Before 2005 they had none.

The Pro's influence trickles down and is still more relevant.

Do you have research data that shows differently?

Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
Of course You Tubers have more influence than they once did. Before 2005 they had none.

The Pro's influence trickles down and is still more relevant.

Do you have research data that shows differently?

I bet he has the same amount of research that you have for the statement "The Pro's influence trickles down and is still more relevant." ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I have no information, I'm pulling this out of my ass, but I suspect in terms of number 1 most important influencer for purchasing choices:

Low end (<$500 cameras) = Amazon (etc) reviews.
Medium (500-3000) = Youtube channels.
High (3000+) = Dedicated information sites such as this.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I have no information, I'm pulling this out of my ass, but I suspect in terms of number 1 most important influencer for purchasing choices:

Low end (<$500 cameras) = Amazon (etc) reviews.
Medium (500-3000) = Youtube channels.
High (3000+) = Dedicated information sites such as this.
This seems reasonable enough but on second thought i have never gotten any information from youtube. Maybe it is also age dependent and/or the limit of 3000 should be lowered too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
This seems reasonable enough but on second thought i have never gotten any information from youtube. Maybe it is also age dependent and/or the limit of 3000 should be lowered too.

And some of us consider/search for it all. The more it costs the more I search.

Jack

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
K433: 6240 x 4160. Same res as a 6Dii. So maybe nothing new.

K437: 6960 × 4640 Not the same as a 5D4 (6750 x 4500)

So maybe a new sensor will arrive, perhaps K437 = 5D5.
Is K437 a DSLR or a Mirrorless? It is interesting that it is a slightly larger sensor. Maybe it will have uncropped 4K.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Man. I've been holding out on the rumor that we'd see a 5DsR II (whatever you want to officially name it) in early 2019. None of those specs are at 50MP+ resolutions, let alone 45 something. I was hoping they would have announced something at the camera shows this year. Nada. I guess worst case scenario, for landscape work, I can grab a (cringe) Sony A7R3 and adapt my much loved Canon glass and keep my 5D3 as an all around. sigh. I really don't want to switch systems, but I do want to upgrade and have access to that newer tech.

Why would you grab a Sony A7R3 when you can grab a 5Ds or 5Dsr? Especially given their gray market prices (about $2200).

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I was hoping for a 5DsR2 as well and further hoping Canon will deliver that in a MILC format. I would be fine without 4k video if that is around $3k mark. The most important thing for me in that is no AA filter. Like I said in another post my hopes for this camera is fading away. I get a feeling Canon might not deliver a successor to that. Let's hope not.

It's a given that Canon will introduce another high rez 35mm sensor body. When is the question.

But if you don't already have a 5Dsr and are holding out for "the latest tech" or a mirrorless version then you are only cheating yourself. The IQ is phenomenal. Buy one today and don't worry about when Canon will release the upgrade. When they do you have your primary and backup cams.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
It's a given that Canon will introduce another high rez 35mm sensor body. When is the question.

But if you don't already have a 5Dsr and are holding out for "the latest tech" or a mirrorless version then you are only cheating yourself. The IQ is phenomenal. Buy one today and don't worry about when Canon will release the upgrade. When they do you have your primary and backup cams.

Thanks for you response. I did rent the 5DsR but did not like it for wildlife photography which is the most I do. It was too noisy and after using 5D4 I also did not like the lack of touch screen. At this point I am shooting Canon 5D4 and Sony a9 and a7r3. I am good with the resolution and speed of a7r3. One of the biggest down side I have with Sony is lack of native 600mm f/4 lens. Still I am interested in high res Canon camera to pair with the Canon EF 600mm f/4.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Buy what best suits your needs today. Then, when time to upgrade, the camera you thought you wanted tomorrow will be there. For most there really isn't a whole lot of difference to warrant fretting. Personal skill will make far more difference than a stop of DR, etc. Unless you are just a gear collector... then fret away.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
This.

And moreover, don’t succumb to the false notion that what you bought yesterday affects what you can/should buy today. They’re independent events.

(In other words, your lenses don’t captivate you)

I think you meant you're not captive to your lenses?:) I'm captivated by my 400.;)

Jack

Upvote 0