Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Sabaki said:
Don Haines said:
Steve Balcombe said:
Sabaki said:
I have disabled Zone AF, Large Zone AF, Auto Selection 65 point and generally rely on AF Expansion for my images and strive to place the central focussing point on the creatures eye.
I will select the point I consider relevant to the composition I want.

Drive mode is AI Servo.

My camera is placed on a beanbag as I sit in a bird hide. I shoot at stationary subjects like resting birds or knots in branches etc. I disable hi speed and select one shot and then I press the shutter.

Image after image after image is soft, soft, soft! It's highly frustrating that I can't get the crisp eye on stationary birds, how I am supposed to get that on moving animals!?

Sounds like you are going about this sensibly and methodically, but one key piece of information is missing - if the shots are out of focus as you seem to be implying, where is the camera focusing? If nothing is sharp, it's not a focusing problem.

Also BTW try one shot AF for static shots and see whether there is any difference.

I agree. Try the shot as "One shot" and then try the shot as "AI Servo". If it is sharp in one shot and not in AI servo, you may have to send your camera back.... several people have reported this problem.

Thanks for the advice Steve and Don.

I cycled through Single Point AF, Single Point Spot AF and then tried every permutation of assist points in both Single Shot and AI Servo. Took multiple images with each setup.

Canon contacted me earlier, they will have an answer for me by Thursday morning for the very latest. Apparently.

I would love to know the results.... I am going through the same thing with my 7D2.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Sabaki said:
Don Haines said:
Steve Balcombe said:
Sabaki said:
I have disabled Zone AF, Large Zone AF, Auto Selection 65 point and generally rely on AF Expansion for my images and strive to place the central focussing point on the creatures eye.
I will select the point I consider relevant to the composition I want.

Drive mode is AI Servo.

My camera is placed on a beanbag as I sit in a bird hide. I shoot at stationary subjects like resting birds or knots in branches etc. I disable hi speed and select one shot and then I press the shutter.

Image after image after image is soft, soft, soft! It's highly frustrating that I can't get the crisp eye on stationary birds, how I am supposed to get that on moving animals!?

Sounds like you are going about this sensibly and methodically, but one key piece of information is missing - if the shots are out of focus as you seem to be implying, where is the camera focusing? If nothing is sharp, it's not a focusing problem.

Also BTW try one shot AF for static shots and see whether there is any difference.

I agree. Try the shot as "One shot" and then try the shot as "AI Servo". If it is sharp in one shot and not in AI servo, you may have to send your camera back.... several people have reported this problem.

Thanks for the advice Steve and Don.

I cycled through Single Point AF, Single Point Spot AF and then tried every permutation of assist points in both Single Shot and AI Servo. Took multiple images with each setup.

Canon contacted me earlier, they will have an answer for me by Thursday morning for the very latest. Apparently.

I would love to know the results.... I am going through the same thing with my 7D2.

Don, I will most definitely let you know what they end up saying.

I do believe from a marketing perspective, Canon will not make an official statement advising that the 7Dii has engineering issues.

I believe they will offer me a story of a faulty batch or something like that.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
luckydude said:
The issue I have with the 7D in all AF points mode is what it locks onto. There are number of pictures where it made the wrong choice.
And here, where is the focus?

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/yunah-bad/10.html
http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/yunah-bad/11.html
http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/yunah-bad/22.html
The wrong choice? I don`t think so:
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2014/eos7dmkii_zoneaf_afpt.shtml

"The new Wide Zone AF on the EOS 7D Mark II occupies a substantial part of the picture area, taking the concept of Zone AF to even bigger levels. It still functions the same way — whether in One-Shot AF or AI Servo AF, it tries to keep sharpest focus on the nearest object it detects falling within the zone."

This is also valid for all AF points selection...
Again, this was user error, no camera error

Upvote 0
I have a suspicion that the 7D2 issues we discuss here probably emerge more from the technical expertise of the 7D2 owners here on POTN than from the actual engineering of the camera. WE are much more critical of the results than many 7D2 buyers -- some moms and dads have more money, and buy expensive cameras because they think it will make better photos of Jimmy Smith and Sarah Jones kicking a soccer ball. It won't, unless mom or dad knows how to operate it properly. And that goes for everyone that picks one up.

I'm gonna consider myself "lucky" maybe, I guess, because I have no focus issues with mine in any mode. And know it will take an extremely sharp photo with moving or stationary targets. What that tells me is the engineering is sound [or no one would have sharp images] ... so either 'a batch' hit with some assembly issues that produced a few bad ones (and pre-orders got some, unfortunately - which also makes sense because a batch would or could have hit B&H or Adorama and pre-orders would likely be pros, not consumers, so it's kinda self-fulfilling that several pros would all get from the same pre-order batch)

Or some of the technology is less understood from the beginning with some owners. And I'm not berating any of the guys - professionals or amateurs - that have focus issues. This is a generally and comparatively a very sophisticated camera - and simply grabbing it and aiming it ain't gonna cut it for long.

One thing I did notice, if you don't take care in setting up the AF, it will kick you out of focus on subject if so much as a leaf or a twig gets between you and the target - especially if you're set in the "acquire new target" mode, instead of the "stick with primary target" mode. Took me while to figure that out, and was very puzzling at first. But I'm getting sharp images even on the wing and at 100% crop with both the 70-200 and the 100-400 v.2 --- Do I miss some, you bet, quite a few - but I blame me for that, and not the 7D2 or the lens.

So, I'm coming down on the side of 'engineering is sound' and other factors (even a batch error maybe) cause the focus issues, rather than poor engineering and design technology in the 7D2. But, that's just me and my personal experience in the field since receiving it.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
monkey44 said:
I have a suspicion that the 7D2 issues we discuss here probably emerge more from the technical expertise of the 7D2 owners here on POTN than from the actual engineering of the camera.

But what happens you have AFMAd the lenses, are using the centre focus point only, great light, 1/2500th second, and shooting a stationary object with fantastic contrast in a checkerboard like pattern....

In one shot mode, the focus is perfect on every single shot, be it shooting a single frame or a burst. In AI servo mode not one single frame is in focus, be it a single frame or a burst and in any of the "cases" for AI servo.

To me, this indicates a problem with the camera, not the user. Why does it focus perfectly in one mode and not in the other. I have also noticed that this problem is worse with lenses that need a big AFMA adjustment.... It is as if the AFMA value is used for one shot mode, but in AI Servo mode, the AFMA value is ignored...

I believe that this is the root of the problem and if I am correct, there should be a firmware update to fix the problem....

I will be re-doing my tests this weekend and testing to see if my AFMA hypothesis is correct and if it does focus on the AFMA=0 location instead of the programmed AFMA location.

Upvote 0
It seems on this forum if someone has AF issues it is never the cameras fault?
Always operator error.

Now, I agree the problems the OP had were operator error.

The 7D II has a fine AF system, if you are moving up from a t5i or 7D II it seems vastly superior.
If you need a sports AF system and your camera is a 5D II it would seem like a great improvement in AF ability.

The 7D II is however not on par with the 1D x AF system or some of the older 1D's for that matter.
I haven't used the 5D III but I have a feeling it might not stack up to it either.
It is not as precise, far few keepers than my 1D IV. I have seen it loose focus from one frame to the next in burst mode. It seems to have a harder time pinpointing a focus point, harder than my old 5D II (I have seen others comment that it seems like it has larger center focus point, I thought the same thing).

So I blew $1,799 on this 7D II camera. What did I get? IMO the best AF system in a camera body that cost under $2K. I suppose sometimes you have to look at it and decide if you received what you paid for.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
monkey44 said:
I have a suspicion that the 7D2 issues we discuss here probably emerge more from the technical expertise of the 7D2 owners here on POTN than from the actual engineering of the camera.

But what happens you have AFMAd the lenses, are using the centre focus point only, great light, 1/2500th second, and shooting a stationary object with fantastic contrast in a checkerboard like pattern....

In one shot mode, the focus is perfect on every single shot, be it shooting a single frame or a burst. In AI servo mode not one single frame is in focus, be it a single frame or a burst and in any of the "cases" for AI servo.

To me, this indicates a problem with the camera, not the user. Why does it focus perfectly in one mode and not in the other. I have also noticed that this problem is worse with lenses that need a big AFMA adjustment.... It is as if the AFMA value is used for one shot mode, but in AI Servo mode, the AFMA value is ignored...

I believe that this is the root of the problem and if I am correct, there should be a firmware update to fix the problem....

I will be re-doing my tests this weekend and testing to see if my AFMA hypothesis is correct and if it does focus on the AFMA=0 location instead of the programmed AFMA location.

Interesting, are you switching in C modes or maybe just switching to AI from Single Shot in Manual, AV or TV mode?

Upvote 0
I will definitely not take the liberty of saying that I do not need to improve myself to use the 7Dii or any camera for that matter, better.
In fact, I expected to still be learning years into owning the camera.

Fair enough, my comment about an engineering fault was silly so let's take that off the table. Let us also hope it's only a minute number of 7Dii's with these issues.

Still, pretty shitty to get two faulty bodies and having to wait weeks and weeks for the issue to be sorted.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
takesome1 said:
Don Haines said:
monkey44 said:

Interesting, are you switching in C modes or maybe just switching to AI from Single Shot in Manual, AV or TV mode?
I was in AV mode... good point though, When I do more detailed testing I should see if the problem holds true in Manual, TV, or even (GASP!) green box mode....

Upvote 0

Nelu

CR Pro
Don Haines said:

This is how it`s supposed to work, and I learned this from one of the best Canon exports, Rudy Winston: one shot mode is for stationary subjects while AI Servo is for moving subjects.
You`ll find one of his videos here but there are many more on Canon`s website:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sgRZBo-WKI

Basically when you`re using AI Servo the camera actually expects some movement and if your subject doesn`t move, the AF might get confused.
I hope this helps,

Nelu

Upvote 0
Nelu said:
Don Haines said:

This is how it`s supposed to work, and I learned this from one of the best Canon exports, Rudy Winston: one shot mode is for stationary subjects while AI Servo is for moving subjects.

Basically when you`re using AI Servo the camera actually expects some movement and if your subject doesn`t move, the AF might get confused.
I hope this helps,

Nelu

I would have agreed back when I owned only a 5D II and 7D.
Then I bought a 1D IV and whether stationary or moving using servo is as accurate as one shot.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Nelu said:
Don Haines said:

I hope this helps,

Nelu
Another parameter for the test matrix!

The more I use this camera, the more impressed I am with the complexity of AF systems.... Steep learning curve! I am still not sure if the problem is me or the camera.... at the moment I suspect it is some of both, but trying to detail my problems is sure helping me learn. However, it does not seem right that a camera would be able to track a moving object and then when it stops, loose focus... what if you are shooting a bird landing on a feeder? Do you change modes as it lands?

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
takesome1 said:
Don Haines said:
monkey44 said:

I was in AV mode... good point though, When I do more detailed testing I should see if the problem holds true in Manual, TV, or even (GASP!) green box mode....

Maybe set it to no AFMA, then switch from one shot to AI Servo. Then turn the adjustment back on and reset it.
Just a suggestion. Maybe it is just a bug.

Upvote 0

Nelu

CR Pro
Don Haines said:
what if you are shooting a bird landing on a feeder? Do you change modes as it lands?

I set one of the back buttons for AI Servo and one for One-shot and I can operate any of them easily with my thumb.
Funny thing is, you can`t do this with the 5D Mark III :)

Nelu

Upvote 0