MORE Canon Mega-Pixels, 250 of them, but none for you!

Feb 26, 2012
AB
Well, just trying to play on the other thread here..
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=27593.0

But Canon's latest press release goes on about an APS-H sensor with ~250MP (19,580 x 12,600 pixels)

www.canon.com/news/2015/sep07e.html

excerpt:

When installed in a camera, the newly developed sensor was able to capture images enabling the distinguishing of lettering on the side of an airplane flying at a distance of approximately 18 km from the shooting location.2

2. Image capture employed a combination of optical and digital zooming while distinguishing of image content was realized through the magnification of an approximately 1/40,000th-sized area of the captured image.

-

I wonder what lens...

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
dilbert said:
Is this Canon's only trick?
More megapixels?

yes indeed dilbert:
horrid ergonomics, horrid build quality, horrid af, horrid accessory lineup, horrid menu/ui, horrid lenses (foremost), horrid free software, horrid customer service, horrid ...
only high megapixels. time to jump ship...

Upvote 0
Dec 21, 2010
Innovation of any type under any brand is always welcome.

First Canon came out with 4 million ISO. People called it dumb.
Now Canon comes out with 250 megapixels. People call it more names.

I absolutely believe that if Sony introduced something with 250 megapixels, the naysayers would shut up. Or if Sony had something with 4 million ISO, the naysayers would turn into Sony worshipers.

Upvote 0
Dec 21, 2010
romanr74 said:
dilbert said:
More megapixels?

yes indeed dilbert:
horrid ergonomics, horrid build quality, horrid af, horrid accessory lineup, horrid menu/ui, horrid lenses (foremost), horrid free software, horrid customer service, horrid ...

I don't get the hate. If people want to move on to another brand, why can't they do that quietly? Why make a big fuss about it and look like a 3rd grader who didn't get what he wanted for Christmas?

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
dash2k8 said:
romanr74 said:
dilbert said:
More megapixels?

yes indeed dilbert:

I don't get the hate. If people want to move on to another brand, why can't they do that quietly? Why make a big fuss about it and look like a 3rd grader who didn't get what he wanted for Christmas?

Because they are not convinced by what they do and seek confirmation from others...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
davidmurray said:
This is a hint at the sensor tech Canon has been developing.

I reckon this is Canon's way of saying: "be prepared to be impressed with the capabilities of the upcoming new versions of the 5D AND 1D cameras."

All good news for the upcoming models. :)

I would like to see the CR3 to your quote. I dare to dream, that you exactly hit the nail... 8) Especially as it says:
Additionally, despite the exceptionally high pixel count, Canon applied its sensor technologies cultivated over many years to realize an architecture adapted for miniaturized pixels that delivers high-sensitivity, low-noise imaging performance.

Hope we gonna see some of this tech in the 5DIV, or is it too late already...?

Well, as it seems, this new tech won't be implemented in upcoming bodies. Too sad... Over at theverge they say: "Don't expect this to land in your next DSLR or five, then. But the announcement is a sign that sensor technology will continue to improve; Canon announced a 120-megapixel APS-H sensor back in 2010, when this year's 50-megapixel EOS 5DS would have been unthinkable."

Upvote 0
Finally, something getting interesting for oversampling. The mindset you should use is that not every single pixel has to look perfect out of the sensor. It's what you do with them afterwards. This level of pixel density isn't even that high, since it has been available in compact cameras for many years. The only difference is they decided to scale it up to a bigger area.

An APS-C version of this (7Dx maybe?) would be sweet.

Upvote 0
Well I don't care for 250MP

But this does mean they've improved their process accuracy to the point they can make this. So with finer resolution there's a whole heap of things they can do. One thing I want them to do:

On sensor pixel binning inline with the Bayer matrix.

So I can have 50MP high resolution decent ISO, and 12.5MP stupendous ISO.

Effectively A7R and A7s in one.

Upvote 0
pedro said:
Hope we gonna see some of this tech in the 5DIV, or is it too late already...?

Well, as it seems, this new tech won't be implemented in upcoming bodies. Too sad... Over at theverge they say: "Don't expect this to land in your next DSLR or five, then. But the announcement is a sign that sensor technology will continue to improve; Canon announced a 120-megapixel APS-H sensor back in 2010, when this year's 50-megapixel EOS 5DS would have been unthinkable."

I think the more interesting things relating to this announcement are:
+ the readout speed of that sensor,
+ it's evidence on the direction Canon has been investing research,
+ they've got at least a working prototype
+ this tells me my investment in Canon glass was a good investment because future Canon bodies are likely to take full advantage of the new resolution/sharpness/contrast of the latest lenses, and
+ I think there is a reason why Canon photography gear produces good images - Canon understands the art of creating good photographs.

Also, over the years Canon and Nikon have continually leapfrogged each other. The real winners in the long run are those who stay loyal to the brand they chose to invest in rather than repeatedly buying all new gear with each new novelty one or more of the camera manufacturers make.

I think the real value in Canon gear is in the glass and the ease of use and the ergonomics. All the rest are under-the-hood technical capabilities that are already very good and are still improving with each new model.

I like my camera and I think I made the right investment choice when I chose Canon over Nikon - I'm so looking forward to getting the new EF 35 1.4.

Upvote 0
romanr74 said:
dilbert said:
More megapixels?

yes indeed dilbert:

Why so much hate... Canon like all other technology firms have research on many different fronts, and they have succeeded in producing a sensor with this capability, and its just normal to announce such accomplishment. Haters hate everything, I bet you, they must be Nikon and Sony users. The camera systems they offer are great, thats why Canon has also got to shape up, but many people thought they rest on their marketing to provide 5DS magic in order to change their lip-tone on sensor development.

What these people don't seem to know is that originally Canon has much bigger problem when their 3rd generation pro-models were beaten soundly by Nikon D3. Its not just the sensor, the ISO flexibility, and their Autofocus. Canon was beaten badly despite a good upgrade to 1D Mark II.

However, as many like to make fun out of them, they got back, starting with 1D Mark IV, and 1DX. The sensor superiority that Nikon enjoys, no longer lead by such a large margin, its now, pretty close, Canon even takes the lead in daytime autofocus, and recently even rework the mechanism to hold the 50 megapixels sensor by isolating vibration, in which Nikon D800 did not do initially. All that means they are moving in the right direction.

The 5DS has higher DXO score than 1DX, probably means that if the pixels were reduced to 1DX territory, the quality will even be better than 1DX. Although 5DS was megapixel crazy in which users will employ this camera to shoot using the old 5D Mark II technique, its never aimed at Nikon D800, but rather the medium format field.

This is a clever approach, Nikon should have strech the pixels to medium format territory in their D800, but surprisingly, they didn't, and now they miss the opportunity to put a all around portable system in medium format field. I think even the 5DS is actually a 5D Mark II (50 MP), is still way better than most of medium format systems, because 5DS will give them flexibility to get medium format resolution on the go.

Nikon miss out big time, and now before Canon September event, in which their 1DX Mark II is rumored to appear, this sensor tech announcement will provide extra assurance to Canon shooters, that their sensor developments did not hit any roadblocks. If I guess correctly, Canon may close the sensor deficiency gap further, which is not exactly that much right now as compared to Nikon D4s, or they may even take the lead.

If my forecast are correct, those haters who have been advocating people to switch may ending up switching themselves, since EOS systems are the most comprehensive already, Canon seems to want to elevate further.

Upvote 0