Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/09/more-photokina-chatter-cr1/"></g:plusone></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/09/more-photokina-chatter-cr1/"></a></div>
<p><strong>PowerShot and EOS

</strong>I received a few tidbits of information of coming products for Photokina.</p>
<p><strong>PowerShot

</strong>S100 Replacement with Wifi</p>
<p>G12 Replacement that isn’t much different than the current one. Same sensor size as the G12.</p>
<p>A new SX big zoom PowerShot is coming.</p>
<p><strong>EOS

</strong>A full frame EOS between the 7D and 5D Mark III with touchscreen and 20mp (most mentions have been 22mp)</p>
<p><strong>CRs Take

</strong>I’m not 100% sure about a new EOS camera, though there are press events all over the planet next week. Announcing EOS with Pixma and PowerShot has happened before, and Canon could use a splash at Photokina if Nikon does indeed announce their inexpensive fullframe D600.</p>
<p>Stock levels of the 5D Mark II seem to be depleting in various places around the globe as well.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

G

Gman

Surely if the new 'G12' is not going to be much different to the old G12 then if the 'improvements' dont warrant the higher price then it might be worth buying an original G12 at the presently discounted price?

I wonder what the chatter means by 'not much different'? Same size sensor but CMOS? Digic 5 processor instead of 4? Wider lighter lens say 24mm to 180mm ƒ2 to ƒ4?

Of course the final question will be will it be just an announcement or available and in the shops before the Nikon P7700 which is almost a clone of the G12 but without a viewfinder? Love to see comparisons between the two.

Upvote 0
D

Dave92F1

I have no inside info - just guessing based on technology and Canon's other products.

Recall that the G12 was introduced together with the S95 (the predecessor to the S100). So the G12 is now 2 generations old.

I think the body size, lens, and ergonomics of the G12 are already pretty good - I can see why Canon doesn't see a need to change them.

But I think we'll see the G12 replacement (G14, at a guess) has the CMOS 1/1.7" sensor from the S100 (or slightly newer), DIGIC 5, improved movie mode (1080p/60 would be great), and the high-speed movie capture from the S100 (200 and 400 frames/sec).

I hope it'll also have GPS (again like the S100) for geotagging.

And maybe, maybe, if we are very lucky, it'll have hybrid phase detect/contrast detect focusing (like the latest Rebel). That would mean a huge (and much-needed) improvement in focus speed.

If it has even 2/3 of those, I'll buy one the first day it's on the market to replace my G11. I've been waiting a long time, and the G1X isn't what I'm looking for.

If I'm right, externally the new camera won't look much different - same body, lens, controls. But inside a lot of changes that matter.

Upvote 0
Yes, sees all you have to do is look to the S series for the upcoming changes in the G series. There use to be a time when the G series was "cutting edge" but now the focus seems to be on the S series and the G series eventually catches up later, but always lags.

Dave92F1 said:
I have no inside info - just guessing based on technology and Canon's other products.

Recall that the G12 was introduced together with the S95 (the predecessor to the S100). So the G12 is now 2 generations old.

I think the body size, lens, and ergonomics of the G12 are already pretty good - I can see why Canon doesn't see a need to change them.

But I think we'll see the G12 replacement (G14, at a guess) has the CMOS 1/1.7" sensor from the S100 (or slightly newer), DIGIC 5, improved movie mode (1080p/60 would be great), and the high-speed movie capture from the S100 (200 and 400 frames/sec).

And maybe, maybe, if we are very lucky, it'll have hybrid phase detect/contrast detect focusing (like the latest Rebel). That would mean a huge (and much-needed) improvement in focus speed.

If it has even 2/3 of those, I'll buy one the first day it's on the market to replace my G11. I've been waiting a long time, and the G1X isn't what I'm looking for.

If I'm right, externally the new camera won't look much different - same body, lens, controls. But inside a lot of changes that matter.

Upvote 0
G

Gman

Dave92F1 said:

But I think we'll see the G12 replacement (G14, at a guess) has the CMOS 1/1.7" sensor from the S100 (or slightly newer), DIGIC 5, improved movie mode (1080p/60 would be great),

I agree totally with that last paragraph, problem will be when they will hit the market, I am in the market for a new camera to replace my G11 now but I suspect we might only see an announcement which might leave us hanging for a while :(

Upvote 0
F

flangad

Dave92F1 said:

I agree with you, but about the lens: the quality is there, but the G12 lense specifications are quite outdated: 28-140 f/2,8-f/4,5 are ridiculous compared with new Nikon P7700 28-200 f/2-f/4
I hope Canon will bring a new lense. as written above, a 24-180 f2/f/4 (or 24-140 f2-f/3,5) would be perfect

But that make sense to keep the sensor size unchanged
the Canon range is good:
- expert compact with "small" sensor and versatile lense: G12, G14... Gnn
- expert compact with large sersor (but bigger body and of course, unfortunaltely, less versatile lense, but good for bokeh) : G1X, G2X.... GnX

Upvote 0
G

Gman

Dave92F1 said:

But I think we'll see the G12 replacement (G14, at a guess) has the CMOS 1/1.7" sensor from the S100 (or slightly newer), DIGIC 5, improved movie mode (1080p/60 would be great),

I agree totally with that last paragraph, problem will be when they will hit the market, I am in the market for a new camera to replace my G11 now but I suspect we might only see an announcement which might leave us hanging for a while :(

ps
touch sensitve screen?

Upvote 0
D

Dave92F1

flangad said:
I agree with you, but about the lens: the quality is there, but the G12 lense specifications are quite outdated: 28-140 f/2,8-f/4,5 are ridiculous compared with new Nikon P7700 28-200 f/2-f/4
I hope Canon will bring a new lense. as written above, a 24-180 f2/f/4 (or 24-140 f2-f/3,5) would be perfect

Unfortunately lens technology doesn't change very fast. I don't think the G12 lens is "outdated", it's just the result of a different tradeoff.

If you move to a lens like the Nikon P7700 (28-200 f/2-f/4), you have to give else something up - it'll be bigger, heavier, less sharp, or more expensive. Or some combination of those.

I'm pretty happy with the existing G12 lens - it's really sharp and f/2.8 is enough for me. And it focuses really close, which I use a lot (the G1X fails here). Wider would be nice, but it's OK.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.