More Photokina Chatter [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
pakosouthpark said:
schmidtfilme said:
If Canon releases a 6D now they have my money. I even wait until end of October, but then if nothing happens and I won't wait forever I go with the new Nikon D600...just saying - not that anyone would care.

+1 been waiting for this camera

+ me too. Although I am going to wait for Black Friday and hope there are bundles again since I know I want a lens as well.

I am going to let some of the dust settle but based on which way the product lines go I am going to revisit my position on Canon vs. Nikon before buying some good glass ...

Upvote 0
hmmm said:
schmidtfilme said:
If Canon releases a 6D now they have my money. I even wait until end of October, but then if nothing happens and I won't wait forever I go with the new Nikon D600...just saying - not that anyone would care.

Well I care ... because I'm thinking along the same lines myself. 8)

I care to, and I am thinking along the same lines. I am waiting to replace my 50D and have a budget of $2,500 . I can continue to drive towards a 5d (getting close) , hope Canon wants to take my money for a lower priced ful frame, or jump ship. Right now it looks like Nikon is in the technical lead here. The only thing keeping me on Canon is my 70-200 f4L and my 24-105L . Canon's new (every body pays MSRP for the new 5DIII really pissed me off. They are about to drive a bunch of advance amateurs out the door. a 3 year old 7D is not going to do it for me. Show me something new or I'll start looking

Upvote 0
distant.star said:
So, now I'll be an old fart using an S95!

Oh, how the children will laugh.

Seems that the 295 was the sweet spot. The s 100 came out, had a bunch of initial problems, just getting that sorted out, and now a replacement shows up. Sometimes you just get some of those short lived models. I know, I'm on a 50d. I also have an s95 and it's still a sweet camera. That small, with quality RAW? good camera

Upvote 0
Basti187 said:
pakosouthpark said:
Canon Rumors said:
A full frame EOS between the 7D and 5D Mark III with touchscreen and 20mp (most mentions have been 22mp)

that is what i wanted to hEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah bring it on!! and for october release please!!!

yes please!
And here I almost took advantage of the deals on the 60D/T4i because of the rumor news earlier this week. Glad I waited a bit longer. #phew

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
RC said:
Losing my optimism for a FF pro body (7D/5D build, layout). I sure hope touch screen doesn't mean flip screen too.

There's really nothing wrong with a flip screen, it doesn't have any drawbacks except having the amateur image.

But the problem w/ touchscreen, a flip screen, a new 20mp sensor (I guess w/ video af like on the 650d) is that Canon will make sure to cripple the camera so much that enthusiasts or professionals are only left with the 5d3 to buy. Canon releasing a cheaper ff is not because they're throwing money away on purpose, but because they cannot produce a better crop sensor than the current 18mp and this sensor is in so cheap camera bodies by now that the pressure from below has gotten too high by internal and external competition, i.e. the Nikon d600.

And for the same reason they gave the 7d the hyped firmware upgrade - there's more air left in the ff sensors, but on crop Canon might be stuck with video af and the like until they develop or buy new sensor tech raising iso capability and dynamic range.

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
Marsu42 said:
RC said:
Losing my optimism for a FF pro body (7D/5D build, layout). I sure hope touch screen doesn't mean flip screen too.

There's really nothing wrong with a flip screen, it doesn't have any drawbacks except having the amateur image.

But the problem w/ touchscreen, a flip screen, a new 20mp sensor (I guess w/ video af like on the 650d) is that Canon will make sure to cripple the camera so much that enthusiasts or professionals are only left with the 5d3 to buy. Canon releasing a cheaper ff is not because they're throwing money away on purpose, but because they cannot produce a better crop sensor than the current 18mp and this sensor is in so cheap camera bodies by now that the pressure from below has gotten too high by internal and external competition, i.e. the Nikon d600.

I hear you, and I agree. Flip screen will likely mean a plastic body more like the 60D. I want a mag body with button layout like the 7D and 5D. It would probably be a deal breaker for me.

Upvote 0
hopeful on the 7d2/6d/entry level FF myself. My poor little 7d is struggling to stay useful next to my mk3, and the 5d2 just doesn't seem worth it for my needs (I want something close to as clean at ISO 6400 as the mk3, not expecting the entry level to produce lean usable images above that, but I do want something that can produe files that line up nice with the mk3 files for weddings)...

If canon doesn't, my money will go to the used market --- a 1dmk4 perhaps.... hmmmmm (or, a second mk3)

also, come on with it canon ----- bring us a 14-24mm 2.8 that can rival nikons !!!!!!

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
RC said:
I actually would prefer the flip screen, as I'm pretty sure we aren't gonna see 7D level build quality or weather sealing, sadly. So, in that case, I'd rather get the more useful screen.

Marsu42 said:
But the problem w/ touchscreen, a flip screen, a new 20mp sensor (I guess w/ video af like on the 650d) is that Canon will make sure to cripple the camera so much that enthusiasts or professionals are only left with the 5d3 to buy.
Actually, if you check the rumor again, he says that the sensor is most often cited as 22mp. I really can't imagine them doing the R&D for a whole new sensor for a cheaper camera. I can see them taking the 5dIII, crippling key features (weaker AF, slower frame rate, weaker build) and also tweaking the filters so that the video isn't as good. All of which I'm fine with, as they'd generally be upgrades over the 5DII, and they'd keep the price closer to $2k

The only thing I absolutely won't accept is them removing AFMA, I think that would kill the camera on release for most people

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
preppyak said:
The only thing I absolutely won't accept is them removing AFMA, I think that would kill the camera on release for most people

Sheesh, don't even suggest that - Canon might think it's a good idea to drive 5DIII sales.

Actually, while it would kill the camera for most people here, I'm not sure that many of the rank-and-file consumers who would be the target market would notice...

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
RC said:

And for the same reason they gave the 7d the hyped firmware upgrade - there's more air left in the ff sensors, but on crop Canon might be stuck with video af and the like until they develop or buy new sensor tech raising iso capability and dynamic range.

I would love a flip screen on a pro body. I am not as flexible as I once was, bending down to look is a pain, not to mention often a mess in dirt and mud or snow. There's absolutely no disadvantage in a flip screen for me. Also you can flip it to protect it when not in use.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
preppyak said:
Actually, if you check the rumor again, he says that the sensor is most often cited as 22mp. I really can't imagine them doing the R&D for a whole new sensor for a cheaper camera.

Me neither - but I can imagine them tweaking the existing sensor a bit so that the nominal mp count is somewhat lower than 22mp for the tech data sheets. They did the reverse strategy for the 21mp 5d2->5d3, and that's no sensor redesign either.

Or maybe they really added live view like on the 650d, that might eat up some pixels that wouldn't count for still shots? Quite possible, because that's a tech where Canon has an edge unlike Nikon in iso/dr.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.