Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p><strong>Big White Lenses

<span style="font-weight: normal;">On a personal note, I recalled I ordered some drop-in filters for the big whites a long time ago. In fact, they’ve been on backorder for almost 3 months from Canon Canada.</span></strong></p>
<p>New filter system in store?<strong> </strong></p>
<p><strong>Canon EVIL [CR1]

<span style="font-weight: normal;">Received information that someone had see 2 pancake lenses from Canon. A 24mm & 55mm.</span></strong></p>
<p>I’m sure a small interchangeable lens camera from Canon is in testing, just do not expect it this fall.</p>
<p><strong>I’m abroad

<span style="font-weight: normal;">I’m in Ireland now, so keep emailing away. I never stop working.</span> </strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>
<p class="facebook"><a href="http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u=http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/08/more-speculation/" target="_blank" title="Share on Facebook">Share on Facebook</a></p>

M

Michal

Canon Rumors said:
<p><strong>Big White Lenses

<span style=\"font-weight: normal;\">Received information that someone had see 2 pancake lenses from Canon. A 24mm & 55mm.</span></strong></p>
<p>I’m sure a small interchangeable lens camera from Canon is in testing, just do not expect it this fall.</p>
<p><strong>I’m abroad

Another BS rumour, so somebody just saw two lenses lying around, had enough time to notice they are Canon and notices it's a new mount but knows nothing else about the new system, cameras, etc? Pure, made-up BS.

Upvote 0
C

CameraAddict

lol said:
On the drop-in filters, wouldn't they keep making (at least, selling them) for a while even if future lenses wont use it? There's going to be a lot of lenses in the field that might need spares/replacements. Having said that, the alternative isn't any better - that the supply chain is badly planned.

Definitely. This is just a sign of bad supply chain management. I would hesitate to read it as anything other than that.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

Agreed

CameraAddict said:
lol said:
On the drop-in filters, wouldn't they keep making (at least, selling them) for a while even if future lenses wont use it? There's going to be a lot of lenses in the field that might need spares/replacements. Having said that, the alternative isn't any better - that the supply chain is badly planned.

Definitely. This is just a sign of bad supply chain management. I would hesitate to read it as anything other than that.

Upvote 0
S

Sebastian

Jan said:
Michal said:
Another BS rumour, so somebody just saw two lenses lying around, had enough time to notice they are Canon and notices it's a new mount but knows nothing else about the new system, cameras, etc? Pure, made-up BS.
"BS"?

"BS" = "B*llsh*t".

And yes, I agree with all the others that backordered drop-in filters aren't a hint for new lenses. BTW, I'm mildly annoyed that Canon already has two different drop-in filter sizes (48mm and 52mm)...

Regards,

Sebastian

Upvote 0
S

Sebastian

Jan said:
What means "drop-in" filter size by the way? ???

What it says - size of drop-in filters.
For ease of manufacturing, large telephoto lenses don't use screw-in filters in front of the lens, but filters that are inserted close to the bayonet. Canon offers a drop-in polarising filter with an externally accessible rotating mechanismen and a kind of tray to screw in standard filters. The later of which comes in two sizes 48mm and 52mm. The smaller size was used in FD lenses and also by early EF lenses still closely "related" to FD designs. The later EF lenses use the 52mm size.
And of course the polarising filter comes also in two different sizes according to the size of the receptacle in the lens.

Have a look at them in Google Image Search:

Regards,

Sebastian

Edit - PS: All Canon lenses that uses such drop-in filters already come with one filter holder a "normal" (i.e. plain glas) filter, which could be replaced by, say, a colour correction filter if desired. So you need to buy more drop-in filter holders only if you wish to change filters faster or more conveniantly. Aside from polarisation filters, of course.
By the way, as far as I know, some filter must be inserted in these lenses at any time while taking pictures, because the glas is part of the optical design.

Upvote 0
Hopefully thous "Pan Cake" lenses are for real cameras! The 24mm in EF-S and the 50mm in EF.

BTW EF-S and EF lenses would fit a Canon Mirrorless camera ONLY with ADAPTERS!!! IF the EF-S/EF lenses work on a Mirrorless camera, it would be the same thickness of a Rebel and the same height less the pentaprism.

The 1996 Canon EOS IX APS film camera (which used EF lenses) was 132 x 80 x 59 mm, 485 g (with battery) or 5.20 x 3.15 x 2.32 in, 17.10 oz. http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/data/1996-2000/1996_eos-ix-e.html?p=1

Not nearly as small as the Sony NEX-5 (which is also APS-C) From the Sony site: Dimensions (Approx.) : Appx 4-3/8 × 2-3/8 × 1-9/16" (110.8x58.8x38.2mm) (W/H/D); 15/16" (24.2mm) excl grip & lens mount
Weight (Approx.) : Approx. 8.1 oz (229g) (excl battery & media) Approx. 10.1 oz (287g) (w/battery & media)

Canon 5.2 long vs Sony 4-3/8 - Canon 3.15 high vs Sony 2-3/8 - Canon 2.32 deep vs Sony 1-9/16 - Canon 17.10 oz vs Sony 10.1 oz (with battery). I Don't Think So !!!

Canon has mentioned making a SMALL camera with a pentaprism which may very well turn out to be a Digital EOS IX. http://photorumors.com/2010/07/24/canon-small-slr-update/ I personally would buy this over a mirrorless camera. YMMV

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.