Multiple mentions put the Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution “around 24mp”

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Both, very true. Also, pro wildlife photographers have the time and skill to get closer to their subjects and so need less reach. Shooting a hunting cheater from a safari vehicle is probably a lot closer to a sport shot than my pictures of birds, even birds-in-flight. My doubt is would Canon design this camera for such a tight niche? Would they sell more if it appealed to more types of photographer? I guess they know better than me, and we will find out what they are offering soon enough, (certainly before anyone can order one). Perhaps I am just disappointed that I may not have to save up to buy one and will just have to buy an R5 instead.
With this being the quiet season for birds in England and the restrictions on travel because of Covid, I need a supply of birds to photo, not another camera. Get yourself an R5 - it beats anything for birding that Canon has ever produced, and let those who want 24 Mpx enjoy what Canon is providing for them.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
24MP vs 30MP? For those that want the latest Pro Canon body, this probably won't make much (if any) difference once they have it and are using it. They'll still love it.

For those, like me, who'd prefer to have a smaller body (like the R5 or smaller) and reasonably high MP (40+ but would accept 30) it may be enough of a difference to "tip the scale" and make them pass on the R3 and see what the next Canon bodies bring. I'll still wait to get one in hand to decide, but 24MP would make it easier to choose to "pass".

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
For professionals shooting sports (or news) for print and internet media, why would they need more than 24 MP? Things like frame rate, autofocus, low-light performance, etc. would be much more important. It seems to me that Canon aim their high-end cameras towards these professionals, not towards amateur prosumers and enthusiasts.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

WoodyWindy

On the road again!
Jul 20, 2010
You can pretty much bet that any image allowed to be published will be in a mode and/or meet a specification "arbitrarily" set by Canon to not tip the real capability of the camera. The photographers may (for example) have the real RAW files on hand, but be mandated to use a throttled version of DPP to produce compliant output. (No actual knowledge of the device or process, just conjecture about one way such a rumor could start...)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0