Multiple mentions put the Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution “around 24mp”

Jul 21, 2010
What is going on with everyone here? Do you actually shoot? Do you actually print? The difference between 24 and 30MP is negligible at best. You're talking about a linear resolution difference of 700 pixels. You will NEVER see a difference in print between 24 and 30MP. The people that the R3 is for generally do not print 50" prints of their images. It's also quite obvious that they are saving the high resolution plus speed option for the R1.
Speaking personally, it's about the ability to crop in, generally for small or flying birds. For many people, a longer lens isn't an option (either for cost reasons where people are limited to something like the 100-500, or in my case because I already have a 600/4 with extenders).

Having said that, I was fine with my 18 MP 1D X. Would I prefer 30 MP? Yes. Will I buy an R3 at 24 MP? Yes.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
For cropping reasons. Very often we have to crop the shit out of some files. 24 would be a no go for my needs. It has to be 35 ish for me to bite.
I am willing to bet Canon has either dialed down the file size or told fotogs they can not output beyond a certain size.
Most media already have self imposed rules like max 2500 on the long size etc.
Our's is 13 inches at 300 MAX output. I save full size on my laptop but only FTP a file to their specs.

Sometimes I am really down rez'ing a file, sometimes I am not close to the 13 inch cap.
Interesting, thanks. You shoot sports professionally? I guess I had assumed that professionals usually were able to get close enough to not have to "crop the shit" (LOL) out of files. What sports do you shoot?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
No wonder they overprice their pro gear. Nobody wants a 24mp camera nowadays, just a few sport shooters maybe... such a disappointment...
Yeah, Canon has such a long track record of poor sales and poor representation at major events covered by the media, so your comment really makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Good news and bad news. The good news it delays an expensive outlay. For me it limits the flexibility of the camera. 30mp would have been the lower end of my acceptable range. Ideally it would have been 45/50 mp. This may be an amazing camera but 24mp feels stunted. I’ve the 1DXIII and it’s a great camera except it’s 20MP which means it not a great choice for birds and it could have been. I don’t know who Canon is aiming the R3 at. It’s neither top of the range or middle. I would have thought committed amateurs would be a big customer. Who is looking for a 24mp camera. More people would be looking for a 30mp or more camera. Did they hold back the 24MP news to avoid early discussions on it , hide the bad news so to speak. It makes the A1 more attractive to some photographers.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
You don't know if it will be a failure. Time will tell. What if it sells well? Is it a failure? I have an R5 and a 1dx3. I really prefer the 1dx3 in spite of it being a measly 20mp. Is it a failure? I do wish it had the animal AF in live view the r5 has. I wish it had internal time lapse, but I don't want it to have 45mp.
Sony has set the bar high. The A1 does not compromise in FPS, MP or AF. Canon needs the be in the game if it wants to expand market share. The days of flagship cameras with 20 MP is over. The market has moved on. Some people will be quite satisfied owning the R6 but 45 MP makes the R5 much more versatile. JMHO and I was only wrong 4 times yesterday!

Upvote 0
Sony has set the bar high. The A1 does not compromise in FPS, MP or AF. Canon needs the be in the game if it wants to expand market share. The days of flagship cameras with 20 MP is over. The market has moved on. Some people will be quite satisfied owning the R6 but 45 MP makes the R5 much more versatile. JMHO and I was only wrong 4 times yesterday!
I just told you a reason it is not over yet. Canon also does not think it is over. You seem to think only your wants and needs matter. If I want something similar to the A1 I have the R5. Personally I was hoping for 30mp, at 24 I am going to stick with my 1dx3. The camera will probably sell just fine in spite of you proclaiming it is over. The market will decide if it is over.

Upvote 0
The “adult” canon shooters don’t obsess on resolution. We by cameras for different reasons
Some reasons from Canon Europe:

"A camera designed to capture the fastest moving action. Designed to capture objects moving at high speed and built to meet the exacting demands of professional shooters, with ultra-responsiveness, high sensitivity, reliability and durability."

Upvote 0
Canon EOS #R3 Specs
-24mp backside illuminated image sensor
-Multi-Controller & Smart Controller
-Vari-Angle Touch Screen
-NEW accessory shoe
-Wifi 5GHz
-High speed 30fps electronic shutter with AF/AE tracking + RAW shooting at this speed
-AF down to -7.0 EV
-8 Stops Coordinated Control IS with Optical IS and In-Body IS
-4K Canon Log3
-Oversampling 4K
-Internal RAW video
-Inclusion of cars and motorbikes in AF tracking technology
-RAW internal movie recording
-Speedlite shooting with electronic shutter
-The same weather sealing as the EOS-1D series
-LP-E19 Battery
-Dual card slot SD & CFExpress

Really hope the 24mp is wrong ?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
24 is the new 20.

The people this camera was designed for are using it at the Olympics.

If you don't like it, wait for the R1. Or buy the R5.
I have the R5 and it has AF issues and some features missing that a "1 series" camera quite likely will not have. It has a lot and I'm not griping by any means but what many of us have said repeatedly is that we want a "1 series" camera with higher MPs. Let's have "1series" for both of us, the low MP guys and the high MP guys or build it so that you can choose "in camera". What makes you think the R1 will be high MPs? I'm not so sure.

Jack

Upvote 0
The roundness of the numbers isn't an indicator; 24MP cameras really are precisely 6000x4000. At least my Rebel T6i and M50 are.
That’s what they are because the metadata says so. Canon almost always has a bit more resolution than that in their sensors and then crop to that nice even number. This gives them a little buffer room for interpolation, etc. you can see this with raw files by using exiftool to read the raw metadata in the file or dcraw to extract the full sensor readout. All of their sensors have at least 16-32 extra pixels on each side of the image that gets cropped out.

Upvote 0
Could RAW images really have less than the full resolution? Would they still be considered RAW? As I understood RAWs did not go through demosaicing. So if the therory with the lower resolution just for the testers is true, how could Canon make a 24 megapixel RAW file from a higher resolution without demosaicing it first? That could only work if the real resolution was 96 megapixels and the color filter would consists of 2x2 groups with the same colour. I don't see a way to scale down a RAW from a sensor with a conventional Bayer Filter without demosacing the RAW file first.
Raw only means it has not been conformed to a colorspace. It also generally means that it hasn’t been demosaiced, but that is not a requirement. They can easily do what they want with the raw data (resize it, demosaic it, etc) and it’s still raw until it’s been conformed to a colorspace. Unless you’re a purist that says raw is untouched raw sensor samples, raw doesn’t actually mean much.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Folks when you say things like:

The lower MP will allow for better iso, 24mp is still good for prints, 24mp has served me well for x amount of years etc. All these things may be true, but the your doing justification for the product and you are the paying consumer. This is going to be an over 5k body, it's your money expect the most out of it. If we expect more they will gives us more. Can you really say the R3 has a SD card slot and a CF slot because of the price point? Is it not PRO enough to have 2 matching card slots? Folks who buy a 5k body cant afford a CF express B cards (which was 550 for 2TB cards at BH this week daily deal!!)

Canon makes their choices based on market research and possibly sensor design/fabrication limitations. It's possible, since this is Canon's first BSI sensor, that Canon could not make a 45-50mp variant and still retain some other feature (low or non-existent rolling shutter; 30 fps). But it's also possible that the target market simply told them they wanted a SD slot and don't want high MP.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
It worked perfectly fine, even with a bit water in the battery compartment?

No, it did not. In round one water got into the battery compartment from the top of the camera, not from the bottom as the cameras were sitting above the table on lens tripod feet. That means over time water will work its way into/onto electronics you do not want to get wet or corrode even if the camera continues to work for the moment.

And in the second round, it failed.

You posted a video you clearly did not watch, and are now arguing about a video you clearly still have not watched all the way through. And it's a 5 minute video. Why would you do this?

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2021-07-27-at-9.41.39-AM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2021-07-27-at-9.41.39-AM.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 53
Upvote 0