New 5D MK2 Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
RonQ said:
YAY!!! Just picked up my new camera and I'm very excited :)
Is there anything you guys can recommend I should do first, I know I have a huge learning curve with this camera so anything you guys can tell me I should and should not do would be very helpful.
Thanks guys!!
Ron

Boring as it is, I read the manual and aquaint my self with all the settings. There are good articles on the Canon website as well.

I would also take some careful shots of flat targets while the camera is mounted on a tripod. Good light is helpful. Make sure that the autofocus is accurate with the widest aperture on each lens. If focus is off, you will want to micro adjust. I just started using the FoCal autofocus micro adjust software, and find it better then doing it with a target. The autofocus system has a lot of variabiliity, so it keeps taking shots until there are enough to clearly determine the best AFMA setting. There is nothing more frustrating than a lens which is not accurately autofocusing. Fortunately, it is mostly a issue with wide aperture lenses, AF errors are hidden in the depth of field for lenses with smaller apertures and is not a issue.

Upvote 0
R

Ryusui

Mt Spokane Photography said:
Boring as it is, I read the manual and aquaint my self with all the settings. There are good articles on the Canon website as well.
+1... Actually, +100. I don't know when people stopped reading manuals, but it was a severe blow to human competency. When I bought my Mk II I read that thing front to back; yes, including the sections talking about full-auto this and that. And this was coming from the 5D Classic, so while much of it was familiar, there was still a lot to learn.

If focus is off, you will want to micro adjust. I just started using the FoCal autofocus micro adjust software, and find it better then doing it with a target. The autofocus system has a lot of variabiliity, so it keeps taking shots until there are enough to clearly determine the best AFMA setting.
Good to know. I was looking at buying one of those focusing targets, but if the software seems like a better route I may have to re-evaluate my decision.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
Ryusui said:
+1... Actually, +100. I don't know when people stopped reading manuals, but it was a severe blow to human competency. When I bought my Mk II I read that thing front to back; yes, including the sections talking about full-auto this and that. And this was coming from the 5D Classic, so while much of it was familiar, there was still a lot to learn.

If focus is off, you will want to micro adjust. I just started using the FoCal autofocus micro adjust software, and find it better then doing it with a target. The autofocus system has a lot of variabiliity, so it keeps taking shots until there are enough to clearly determine the best AFMA setting.
Good to know. I was looking at buying one of those focusing targets, but if the software seems like a better route I may have to re-evaluate my decision.
+2, I think a lot of people's complaints about the AF on the 5D stem from lack of understanding the settings. Not that the 5D's AF couldn't use improvement, but some people talk about it like it doesnt even work. Did they have 1 autofocus point selected or all of them? If one, which one? One shot or Servo?

There are so many different options for different situations, it seems almost certain that some people end up getting the wrong impression of it and immediately blame the camera.

On a happier note, CONGRATULATIONS! You got a great camera and I'm sure you'll have a field day with it. I jumped from the T2i to the 5D, and yeah it was a little intimidating but you'll get the hang of it. Just go shoot and have a good time.

And remember, ISO's in multiples of 160 are your friend when shooting video, less noise. Figured that was worth mentioning since the T2i is in 1/2 stop increments.

Upvote 0
WOW!!!! HOLY YOU KNOW WHAT..........
I have to say, night and day from both my 30D and T2i :)
I took a few shots around my home and here is the first shot taken, this is a RAW file processed in Lightroom. I shot it with the 24-70 lens. I'm impressed so far!! Took about 30 shots and I have not experienced any AF issues, the camera adjusted the lens correction automatically.....
I need to put this camera to the test........ all I can keep saying is wow, wow, and wow!!!! My clients will be much happier now, more business means more money :) :)

Attachments

• 1st test shot .jpg
    1st test shot .jpg
    880.2 KB · Views: 2,160
Upvote 0
RonQ said:
Is there anything you guys can recommend I should do first, I know I have a huge learning curve with this camera so anything you guys can tell me I should and should not do would be very helpful.
Thanks guys!!
Ron

Based on your gear list -- all sharp glass -- I'd recommend the EG-S screen.

Upvote 0
RonQ said:
Thanks guys!!
Ron

Ron, first off: Congratulations on your new body! As you know I'm in the same boat as you - picked mine up last week. I too am amazed at what this camera is capable of, but then again I've come from a 400D, so it's been a long time overdue! I've just come home from shooting a music gig, and being able to use iso3200 without worrying too much about noise is a true blessing.

Advice and suggestions? I second the points raised here about af micro adjustment, mine weren't too bad, but all ended up being adjusted by about -/+ 4... give or take. Also, as mentioned before: shoot, shoot, shoot. And then shoot some more! I'm hoping to get my dust 'chunk' issue sorted soon and then will be in 5DII heaven just as yourself! Again, congrats.

Cheers,
Steve

Upvote 0
C

crjiro

Congrats Ron! :)
I hate reading manuals...but i did find some good info on YouTube.
I would go there first. I would try to stick with Primes but you have a nice
24-70 and decent 50. Adjusting from the AF and system on the T2i to 5D takes getting used to but i don't
have a prob with it. Just takes a little time and practice. Even the heavier weight of the body.

Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
Setup the 3 Custom Modes for things you shoot frequently, so that you can, for instance, go from shooting landscapes in AV mode at ISO 50 to action in TV at ISO 800 with just a quick turn of the dial.

If you shoot in a particular location frequently (your living room, for instance), configure a Custom White Balance for that lighting, that way it looks "right" in camera and so you don't have to constantly fix it later.

Upvote 0
elflord said:
RonQ said:
Thanks guys!!
Ron

Just saw this on the B&H site, does it sit inside the fiewfinder?

Upvote 0
DJL329 said:
Setup the 3 Custom Modes for things you shoot frequently, so that you can, for instance, go from shooting landscapes in AV mode at ISO 50 to action in TV at ISO 800 with just a quick turn of the dial.

If you shoot in a particular location frequently (your living room, for instance), configure a Custom White Balance for that lighting, that way it looks "right" in camera and so you don't have to constantly fix it later.
Thanks, that will be tomorrow's job!!
So, I just took the camera outside and it's starting to get dark outside. I noticed that the camera "hunts" alot in low light, I'm assuming that's normal for this camera body? I took my T2i out at the same time and I found it locked on focus alot faster than the 5D2. Something to get used to I guess!!

Upvote 0
crjiro said:
24-70 and decent 50. Adjusting from the AF and system on the T2i to 5D takes getting used to but i don't
have a prob with it. Just takes a little time and practice. Even the heavier weight of the body.
Thanks! Starting to realize what other photographers were saying on this site regarding the poor AF function in low light now....

Upvote 0
CowGummy said:
RonQ said:
Thanks guys!!
Ron

Ron, first off: Congratulations on your new body! As you know I'm in the same boat as you - picked mine up last week. I too am amazed at what this camera is capable of, but then again I've come from a 400D, so it's been a long time overdue! I've just come home from shooting a music gig, and being able to use iso3200 without worrying too much about noise is a true blessing.

Advice and suggestions? I second the points raised here about af micro adjustment, mine weren't too bad, but all ended up being adjusted by about -/+ 4... give or take. Also, as mentioned before: shoot, shoot, shoot. And then shoot some more! I'm hoping to get my dust 'chunk' issue sorted soon and then will be in 5DII heaven just as yourself! Again, congrats.

Cheers,
Steve
Thanks Steve, I hope you get your issue worked out.....
When you were shooting your music gig, did the camera hunt alot?

Upvote 0
RonQ said:
Thanks guys!!
Ron

I would also take some careful shots of flat targets while the camera is mounted on a tripod. Good light is helpful. Make sure that the autofocus is accurate with the widest aperture on each lens. If focus is off, you will want to micro adjust. I just started using the FoCal autofocus micro adjust software, and find it better then doing it with a target. The autofocus system has a lot of variabiliity, so it keeps taking shots until there are enough to clearly determine the best AFMA setting. There is nothing more frustrating than a lens which is not accurately autofocusing. Fortunately, it is mostly a issue with wide aperture lenses, AF errors are hidden in the depth of field for lenses with smaller apertures and is not a issue.
Thanks for the info, is it really worth the price?

Upvote 0
R

Ryusui

RonQ said:
elflord said:
RonQ said:
Thanks guys!!
Ron

Not the 5D, but same concept.
Interchangeable Focus Screens

Upvote 0
RonQ said:

No, you remove the lens cap to install it -- it sits just behind and above the lens. It comes with a little installation tool and instructions. Do read the instructions before installing it -- you don't want to just poke around in there haphazardly, but it's very easy if you follow the instructions.

Upvote 0
RonQ said:
crjiro said:
Thanks! Starting to realize what other photographers were saying on this site regarding the poor AF function in low light now....

just stick with the center point only and only use f2.8 or faster lenses, and don't use AI servo...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.