New 5D MK2 Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treyconnally

MichaelK said:
And so the 5DII AF myth continues ......

Yes I know the 7D AF is better - but shocking is rather over dramatising an AF that is accurate and still the (current) best in low light. It may have its limitations - but shocking - NO

I take a lot of pictures of animals which dont stay still for me or even pose with good backgrounds. So I just stick it on Servo, use the joystick for AF point control and away I go - relying of the blurred backgrond to improve things. Shooting wide open on a moving subject means the AF has to be good as the DOF is very shallow, also I have to get a high percentage of keepers as the animals dont respond well to 'just another one please' ;D ;D

So here is a light hearted one that I took recently. I take pictures for a goat sanctuary that need pictures of goats for rehoming - so getting the aw factor is more important than the quality of the photo.

Dude, That 135mm/f2 you used on this picture really is amazingly sharp! Wow.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
briansquibb said:
Go for the IS II - much much better - really good on the 5DII.

Maybe a bit long for most landscapes? although good for urban images

+1 on the IS II. Great lens and great investment. It is still on rebate until Feb 4th so it is a good time to pick it up. I also like the combo of the 70-200 2.8L IS II together with the 135L. This way when I need something a bit smaller and easier to carry I bring the 135L. If not the 70-200 is amazing!

Upvote 0
rahkshi007 said:
hi, i just jump from nikon crop sensor d3000 to canon 5d markii when it just 2000 USD. when it equip with my 24-70mm L. the first few image i was like "wow". i also have the EF 50mm f1.4. any other suggestion lens ? as i was new to canon product. i mostly do landscape and some outdoor portrait..

The 85mm 1.8 is amazing on this body, but not really that much of an outdoor portrait.

People rave about the 135mm 2.0L -- more of a 'portrait at a distance' lens.

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:

Hey Brian, I agree that the IS and ISII are great, but I have the original non-IS 2.8 and it too is a great lens... Just saying that incase he dioes not want to spend the extra grand......

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

RonQ said:
briansquibb said:

Hey Brian, I agree that the IS and ISII are great, but I have the original non-IS 2.8 and it too is a great lens... Just saying that incase he dioes not want to spend the extra grand......

The mk1 IS is the weakest of the f/2.8 range - I would not recommend buying it. A good alternative is the 70-300L if you are not into shooting in very low light. The IS on the 70-300L is excellent and I regularly shoot at 1/125 without a problem. I have found the 70-300L to be very sharp (close to the 70-200 II) but with better (to my eyes) colour and contrast. On ff it makes an excellent walkabout lens, being lightweight with portrait length at the short end and the extra reach at the long end.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.