New "High End" Camera Announcement in March..... [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edwin Herdman

Re: New \

x-vision said:
It might be the 1DV - the first full-frame sports camera from Canon.

Some might say it's too early for the 1DIV to be replaced but, IMO, it will be replaced next year.
It's about time the 1.3x crop factor gets retired.
I doubt all of this.

First off, the 1DIV has its own particular niche. The 1.3x crop means you get better ISO performance than with a 1.6x crop, and should be less demanding on lenses, but you still get the benefit of extra "reach." The specifications otherwise are up-to-date. I'm sure that some folks would like a fancy 60D style swivel screen but that's about it. And in any case I don't think the swivel screen would be a benefit to all shooting styles - some cameras need to take a beating and a moving screen is the weak point in any system's build, from laptops to cameras.

About the 1DV idea - I suppose it's possible you could make a bells-and-whistles version of the 5D line, a full-frame sports camera with a swivel screen (maybe, I'm skeptical again for the durability reason), and I'm sure it would be popular with people who do close-in sports. But I don't know if the market is really all that big.

tzalmagor said:
IMHO, Canon's release of the EF 8-15mm is an indication Canon is not planning to retire the APS-H sensor based cameras.
It's not an EF-S lens, but a fisheye that distorts the image. It has nothing to do with APS-H in particular; images from this lens will be at their widest and probably their most striking when used on a full-frame. But I would agree that APS-H isn't going anywhere soon, mainly because you can make more sensors more cheaply with the smaller format.
blufox said:
Finally, let us hope that we get a killer 5d MarkIII, with great DR, high clean ISO, 7D AF, 5-6 fps shooting capability with some improvements and a 2500$ price tag :)
This is what I'm hoping for as well, though the rumor image seems to indicate a 1D series style body, I thought. Could be wrong.
Flake said:
There's something about a 5D MkIII before the 1Ds that just doesn't sit right.
What doesn't sit right? The 1Ds may be a "studio camera" but the autofocus system is better by far. Actually, you have to ask - what sort of burning need does the 1Ds Mark III fill right now? There's a good sports camera in the 1D Mark IV, and a faster, more accurate 5D would fill a full-frame shooter segment at a good price point.
bopie said:
I just bought a 5Dii a week ago.

The same thing happened with the 550D when I bought a 500D last winter.

:(
I wouldn't worry about it. Just congratulate yourself over all the pictures you'll be taking with a wider field of view, more detail, better ISO, and better dynamic range over the 500D or even the 550D.
c.d.embrey said:
Sounds like you are waiting for a D800! Canon will never make a camera like you want.
Please think twice before making posts like these. They don't add anything to the conversation.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010

agree with Edwin as to the likelihood of a 2011 release of a 1D Mark V ... that's really dreaming there. from what I've seen in writing, not many professional shooters actually have a problem with the 1.3x crop; all the other elements to the camera are there (AF, build, frame rates, interface, IQ) and whether or not the APS-H gives up a stop to the D3s is largely irrelevant to anybody actually purchasing and shooting with these cameras.

actually, agree with most of the rest of what Edwin wrote here as well. I don't see what the hubbub is with a 5DIII being released before a 1DsIV, the last time it happened the other way around and everyone clamored over the fact that a 1DsIII "killer" had been released so soon after the fact, and with supposed tweaks to the sensor (which, turns out, was largely baseless rumor). if a 5DIII drops first, the people who are out to purchase a 1DsIV will still be in line for the 1D-series body ... if you need it, you'll know you need it.

Upvote 0
D

dthomasla

"The 3D has come at last :-D"

I literally was on the phone with a vendor ready to order a 5Dll when I decided to check CR for the latest rumor. When I saw this March announcement of a "High End" camera I slammed down my phone and gave a cheer ! I want the 5Dlll !

But I'm not so sure about a 3D. Assuming that it cost at least $1,000 more, what additional features might I get over those "hoped for" in the 5Dlll that would justify the extra cost ? And would those extra features be that valuable for me ?

Also, if the announcement were for a 3D and I couldn't justfy buying it, how much longer would I have to wait for the 5Dlll ? 6 months or more? Ouch !

Upvote 0

kubelik said:
actually, agree with most of the rest of what Edwin wrote here as well. I don't see what the hubbub is with a 5DIII being released before a 1DsIV, the last time it happened the other way around and everyone clamored over the fact that a 1DsIII "killer" had been released so soon after the fact, and with supposed tweaks to the sensor (which, turns out, was largely baseless rumor). if a 5DIII drops first, the people who are out to purchase a 1DsIV will still be in line for the 1D-series body ... if you need it, you'll know you need it.

In my case, the only actual "victim" I've witnessed from the 1DsIII-killer incident was a co-worker who ordered the 1DsIII and used it for only a few months before switching to the more compact 5D2 after Canon released it. The 1DsIII has been sitting in the cabinet ever since. ::)

All I can say is the elderly pro's at my place are happy with the 5D2, because it helps them reduce the weight in their camera bags and making their backs last longer.

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2010

Spotted Hand said:
"The 3D has come at last :-D"

I literally was on the phone with a vendor ready to order a 5Dll when I decided to check CR for the latest rumor. When I saw this March announcement of a "High End" camera I slammed down my phone and gave a cheer ! I want the 5Dlll !

But I'm not so sure about a 3D. Assuming that it cost at least $1,000 more, what additional features might I get over those "hoped for" in the 5Dlll that would justify the extra cost ? And would those extra features be that valuable for me ?

Also, if the announcement were for a 3D and I couldn't justfy buying it, how much longer would I have to wait for the 5Dlll ? 6 months or more? Ouch !

3D $3K price point could have:

• 18-24MP Full Frame
  • better weather sealing
  • faster FPS (8+)
  • advanced sports oriented AF (maybe 31 well spaced points to be better than the 7D and not quite as good as the 1DIV)
  • dual CF card slots
  • dual digic V
  • Video (don't really care but I know it would be included)
5DIII $2K price point could have:

• 24-30MP Full Frame
  • single digic V
  • single CF card slot
  • 7D AF (possibly stripped down since the camera doesn't need that kind of performance)
  • Video
A studio or landscape photog would probably still pick the 5DIII as it would be cheaper and have better resolution and video without the need for the high performance AF. The 3D would open up a whole new market to Canon, I can't believe they'll continue to let those sales go to Nikon without a fight.

One thing for sure, Canon will need to exceed Nikon specs, not match them. They are a much larger company with far greater resources and they need to start acting like it. I'm a Canon fan, but Nikon is eating their lunch on everything but resolution right now and the video gap is almost closed......

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Spotted Hand said:
I literally was on the phone with a vendor ready to order a 5Dll when I decided to check CR for the latest rumor. ... how much longer would I have to wait ... ?

Did you hold off on ordering a 24-70 f/2.8L back in 2009 when the IS version was 'likely soon' or in early 2010 because it was a 'take it to the bank' about-to-be-announced lens? Are you still waiting? Just get the *($%(*$# 5DII. All I can say is, "Don't hold your breath..."

PE-040-0435.jpg

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

ronderick said:
In my case, the only actual "victim" I've witnessed from the 1DsIII-killer incident was a co-worker who ordered the 1DsIII and used it for only a few months before switching to the more compact 5D2 after Canon released it. The 1DsIII has been sitting in the cabinet ever since. ::)
What kind of shooting were they doing?

Upvote 0

Whatever's on the list for the upcoming publication. Could be anything from landscape to exhibitions to people interviewed.

Edwin Herdman said:
ronderick said:
What kind of shooting were they doing?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.