New Large Sensor PowerShot Rumor [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div style="float: right; margin:0 0 76px 0px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/08/new-large-sensor-powershot-rumor-cr2/">Tweet</a></div>
<p>We’re told by a very good source that Canon will announce a new PowerShot camera with a 1″ sensor. The camera will be nearly as compact as the S series camera and is intended to compete with Sony’s RX100.</p>
<p>No specs were given.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Re: New Large Sensor PowerShot Rumor [CR2]

The S120 is too big. Size and shape wise, my Elph 500HS is just perfect. The rounded and beveled corners really make a difference as far as comfort in your pocket goes. Now, if I could get an S120, even with a 1/1.7" sensor in that size and shape, that would be something I'd buy.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010

If this is true, I wonder how Canon executives find the taste of crow:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0336328811/cp-2013-interview-with-canons-masaya-maeda

"...he ruled out the idea of a larger sensor camera along the lines of the Sony RX100 to offer more of an image quality distinction between smartphones and compact cameras. 'I think the market does exist but it wouldn't be very large. We think we have a good balancing point in terms of price, image quality and size. Lots of other combinations are possible, but, once you go below APS-C the next logical size is 1/2.3 inch', he says."

Upvote 0

It's only "crow" if you actually believed what he was saying.

These people lie -- all the time and for many different reasons. I'll bet Sony didn't believe what he was saying!

Woody said:
If this is true, I wonder how Canon executives find the taste of crow:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0336328811/cp-2013-interview-with-canons-masaya-maeda

"...he ruled out the idea of a larger sensor camera along the lines of the Sony RX100 to offer more of an image quality distinction between smartphones and compact cameras. 'I think the market does exist but it wouldn't be very large. We think we have a good balancing point in terms of price, image quality and size. Lots of other combinations are possible, but, once you go below APS-C the next logical size is 1/2.3 inch', he says."

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States

Lee Jay said:
The S120 is too big. Size and shape wise, my Elph 500HS is just perfect. The rounded and beveled corners really make a difference as far as comfort in your pocket goes. Now, if I could get an S120, even with a 1/1.7" sensor in that size and shape, that would be something I'd buy.

I agree but I don't agree. For some occasions, I have found the S95 to be the most useful pocket camera I have ever owned. It was marvelous in Paris...simply marvelous. We also own an ELPH 300HS, which, as you describe with the 500HS, has rounded edges. The 300 is even more pocketable than the S95 (as I recall it is also smaller than the 500), but there is no question that the S95's images are generally (but sometimes only slightly) superior. It is amazing how well the 300 fits in a pants pocket; in my mind it is more pocketable than an iPhone 5s in a case.

I now own an 'M' as well, and with the 22mm pancake attached it is (if you're motivated) pocketable as well...and even with its flaws there is no question that the M produces images superior to the S95.

So I would love to get my hands on the '1-inch sensor' S; if Canon produces it in the general image of the S-series (and somehow it acts more like a DSLR than a point-and-shoot, in terms of its responsiveness), I will probably buy it.

Upvote 0

hoodlum said:
I wonder where they will source the sensor. Panasonic is using Sony's sensor so Canon does have access to it. They could also source it from Aptina or Sharp.
My guess is that they will make it themselves. If they can put it in more than one model, this will probably be the case. Anyhow, this is VERY interesting, as I have been looking at the RX100 as a backup for my DSLR, but I am hesitant to go with Sony, as I don't like the ergonomics and color rendering.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

hoodlum said:
I wonder where they will source the sensor. Panasonic is using Sony's sensor so Canon does have access to it. They could also source it from Aptina or Sharp.

Many, if not most of the
Powershots use Sony CCD sensors and Sony LCD's too. Once they are switched to cmos sensors, Canon seems to make there own. Canon produces cameras in a very large volume, and a few cents per sensor makes a big difference over a million units. If they can make them for less than buying, they will.

Upvote 0

Very true, another G1X II scenario again.

Mt Spokane Photography said:
josephandrews222 said:
I think (but I am not sure...going from memory here) that the S95 is CCD and the S100 on up are CMOS.

I think that's true. Canon is moving to CMOS on all their higher end point and shoots.
t.linn said:
Here's the problem: It will probably have a Canon-made sensor. Sony's 1" sensor already outperforms the much larger sensor in the G1X ii.

Upvote 0
P

PicaPica

CanNotYet said:
Well, one can hope the new sensor (as Canon don't have a 1" sensor currently) is made with whatever new technology Canon have been hinting at for the 7D2. It is not like they would take sells from eachother, rather synergy with larger amounts if sensor wafers on the same production line.

But, probably not...

canon also buys sensors for it´s smaller cameras.
so if they would fit a sony 1" sensor in a canon camera and offer it for a decent price i would buy it immediately.

Here's the problem: It will probably have a Canon-made sensor. Sony's 1" sensor already outperforms the much larger sensor in the G1X ii.

well the G1X sensor seems to outperform the G1X II sensor when we believe DXO.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Canon/PowerShot-G1X

i am tempted to buy a A6000.
compared to the G1X II price it looks like a good deal.

but i will wait until after photokina to make a decision.

Upvote 0