New PowerShot & EOS Cameras to Offer DOF Control?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=16456"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=16456">Tweet</a></div>
<p>We’re told that Canon is working to implement depth of field control in upcoming PowerShot and Rebel DSLRs. The idea sounds like what Lytro is doing, or more recently what Google introduced for the Android camera.</p>
<p>There’s no mention of which camera(s) this would be introduced in, but it seems like a logical next step feature.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

May 31, 2011
Re: New PowerShot & EOS Cameras to Offer DOF Control?

I saw that commercial for android. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the basic idea is that the image has infinite depth of feels and then the post production aspect of the software blurs our the portion that is not the subject. It is a ridiculous concept and u would be very annoyed if the put that function in an slr... which has the capability to shoot at f1.2 with a corresponding lens.

Upvote 0

jdramirez said:
I saw that commercial for android. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the basic idea is that the image has infinite depth of feels and then the post production aspect of the software blurs our the portion that is not the subject. It is a ridiculous concept and u would be very annoyed if the put that function in an slr... which has the capability to shoot at f1.2 with a corresponding lens.

I think "being annoyed" will only be felt by people who knows photography or somebody who really have a lens with a max aperture of F1.2. For casual shooters, I think it will just be a new toy for them. Having something to at least approximate the big boys' work is something that will really be appealing to most users.

Upvote 0

"...but it seems like a logical next step feature." really? for whom? People that tend to take nice pictures (to avoid the term photographers) usually know where they want the focus to be before they press the shutter. People that don't, usually think that "everything in focus" is the way to go. I've had numerous people look at a picture with great subject separation and tell me "but why is the background out of focus?".

I can see the feature being somewhat useful to pros for micro-adjustments in post, but I don't see people that didn't know how to focus properly in camera spending hours in post to add bokeh to their pictures.

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013

jdramirez said:

But having a lens with a shallow DoF doesn't give you the ability to change the focus after the shot, which Lytro do.
That's the important feature.
Can your current DSLR + F1.2 do this after you have taken the shot? https://pictures.lytro.com/lytro/albums/149429/embed?token=6cb04136-c43a-11e3-9416-22000a8b14ce

Unfortunately, even with their new Illum camera, the PQ from a Litro is still poor compared to a DSLR...

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011

anthonyd said:
"...but it seems like a logical next step feature." really? for whom? People that tend to take nice pictures (to avoid the term photographers) usually know where they want the focus to be before they press the shutter. People that don't, usually think that "everything in focus" is the way to go. I've had numerous people look at a picture with great subject separation and tell me "but why is the background out of focus?".

I can see the feature being somewhat useful to pros for micro-adjustments in post, but I don't see people that didn't know how to focus properly in camera spending hours in post to add bokeh to their pictures.

You haven't shoot BIF yet, do you? ;D

Upvote 0
L

Lightmaster

sounds like a stupid art filter.

to at least calculate good looking DOF in post you need a depth map.
and it takes some time on a average desktop pc (like a i7 2600K) to calculate the DOF from a depth map.

i have to do it every day, for videos and stills.
i render out images and a special z-buffer image for the depth information.
from that depth map (a grayscale image that show distance information in shades of grey) i can then calculate and move the focus point in PS, after effects or nuke to my liking.

even the good rosenman DOF plugin or the lenscare DOF plugin for photoshop need a lot of time/processing power and still the results are often not 100% perfect (antialiasing issues because of differences in depth map and image informations).

fast processing in camera for JPG`s .... i don´t see how a rebel camera can do it so that the quality would satisfy me.

Upvote 0
L

Lightmaster

HurtinMinorKey said:
Really Canonrumors, you've gotten so desperate that you are going to publish something that is so obviously false?

There is 0.0% light field is coming to the EOS line. If you did any research on it[light field] whatsoever you'd know why this is the case.

it does not have to be lightfield technology.
the rumor is very vague.. could be about adding bokeh in post.

it could be possible that the dual pixel AF can deliver enough depth information to create a depth map. when i first read about dual pixel technology i instantly thought about this.

normaly the depth maps i create have a distance information for every image pixel.
the more roughly the image is approximated in the depth map image the more fake looks the post production DOF.

and maybe it´s possible to readout the relative distance informations for every pixel on (future) dual pixel sensors.

you could then use this information to do a fake bokeh in post.
but as i said such calculations are normaly slow (or they are fast but look bad).

but done right you can´t (99% of the people anyway) say for sure if it´s postproduction or real.
it all depends on how correct your depth map is and how good the algorithm to calulate the DOF.

EDIT:

of course this will not help to get out of focus parts into focus after the image was taken.

it only would help to simulate a f1.2 lens when you only have a f5.6 lens. :)
more like alienskin bokeh on steroids.

Upvote 0