New Rebel & EF 11-24 f/4L USM Coming Shortly

Re: New Rebel & EF 11-24 f/4L USM Coming Shortly

ashmadux said:
traveller said:
PureClassA said:
RE: 11-24 f4

I would guess no IS because Canon wanted to go all in on sheer optics, and I know historically they have had some issues employing both (like the first 70-200 IS L) Perhaps a field of view this wide created too big a a hurdle to overcome for an IS motor without having to sacrifice a bit of edge sharpness? I'm just guessing, Dylan. That said, the 16-35 f4 (FABULOUS glass, I own it) is such a great all around wide angle for the money. But, for the high end pros who demand the utmost precision from corner to corner, methinks they are mostly shooting tripod/monopod anyway. I know I shoot my 16-35 on tripod for landscape stuff as much as possible, negating the use of IS anyway.

This is for a different level of landscape shooting where obviously you're going to spend hundreds more on an expensive filter kit to buckle to the front of this light bulb anyway.

You are quoting the internet lore that the 70-200mm f/2.8L is sharper than the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS? I'm not sure that there is any real difference other than sample variation. The 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II on the other hand is clearly superior to both its predecessors. That being said, there may be more issues with implementing IS on wide angle lenses; I'm sure someone on this forum will have a geeky answer! ;)

You're right about the filter kit, but it isn't just the price that puts me off: the standard Lee filters are already big enough, how you go about carrying the monsters that are made for the bulbous-fronted lenses without a separate bag would be a challenge.

IS means higher prices?

IS means you make your shots, that's a heck of a lot more important. I really feel its a useless argument, Canon will still price the lens however they want. High end pros...heck, everyone uses thier hand for photos also hehe ;D ;D ;D

The 70-200 2.8 is most definitely not sharper than the II IS version....where would that info even come from...its all in the readily available charts.

Neither of us wrote anything about the price of adding IS to lenses: the comments were about IS versus image quality. Price was mentioned only in relation to mounting filters on lenses with bulbous front elements

Where did I write that?

Perhaps English is not your first language, or in future, you should read posts more carefully before replying?

Upvote 0

I use the heck out of my 650D (Rebel t4i) for all sorts of needs. It is a great camera especially for the current price of it. It will be interesting to see what the new Rebel has to offer, although I doubt I would buy it. I am guessing it will have the dual pixel sensor, improved AF, improved ISO, and probably some video upgrade features such as clean HDMI out. No 4K though. The t4i and t5i are at 18.5 MP, so maybe the new one goes to 20MP?

Upvote 0

I wonder how this will compare to the Tamron 15-30mm in terms of IQ. i have read the IQ on the Tamron is supposedly superb and i know you could get 3 Tamrons for the price of the Canon. personally i would forego the extra FOV for that kind of price difference. Does anyone know the difference in FOV from 11 to 14?

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012

yorgasor said:
Wait, this is a full frame, non-fisheye lens that runs at 11mm?! That sounds pretty spectacular all by itself. Has that ever been done before?

Not that I am aware of. The Sigma 12-24 was the first with Nikon following with their highly regarded 14-24 in the UUWA field.
I used the Sigma for a couple of years until the 17 TS-E came out. It did great work but was soft at the edges until f11-13 or so. Made a lot of money with it though.

This lens is bound to be a stunning performer but I have no longing for it as I recently bought the 16-35 f4L IS and can attest to its excellence. I also have a Rokinon 14 and the 17 TS-E so the last increment of super WA is not tempting for me.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012

Lee Jay said:
Besisika said:
yorgasor said:
Wait, this is a full frame, non-fisheye lens that runs at 11mm?! That sounds pretty spectacular all by itself. Has that ever been done before?

That was exactly my question. Any law of physics expert to comment? What is the possibility of successful rectilinearity at that focal length?
That would open up a brand new perspective of lifestyle photography.

The 17 TS-e is already this wide, you just need to shift and stitch to capture it all because a full-frame sensor isn't big enough.

And those of us that do panos have been seeing wider than this basically forever.

While I do stitch my 17 on occasion it does fail (visually) sometimes as the necessity for stitching means that the far edges are at the limits of the image circle and get soft and the perspective looks funky as the view is so extreme.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague

jefflinde said:
I wonder how this will compare to the Tamron 15-30mm in terms of IQ. i have read the IQ on the Tamron is supposedly superb and i know you could get 3 Tamrons for the price of the Canon. personally i would forego the extra FOV for that kind of price difference. Does anyone know the difference in FOV from 11 to 14?

11mm is 126.1° diagonally, 117.1° horizontally and 95.0° vertically.
14mm is 114.2° diagonally, 104.3° horizontally and 81.2° vertically.
16mm is 107.0° diagonally, 96.7° horizontally and 73.7° vertically.

Upvote 0

"...at this price, the lens must have remarkable optical performance"

...Such as being magically brighter than f/4? That'd be nice.

Okay seriously, folks. I can see this lens being another trophy on Canon's shelf for architecture and similar photographers, who spend all their time cramming themselves up against walls and into corners trying to get every last mm out of their lenses. And shooting at f/16.

However as an f/4 lens, that is decidedly all this lens is good at. Wedding photojournalists, casual landscape photographers, pretty much EVERYBODY else out there is going to be much better off with the reasonably priced, 77mm-threaded, delightfully sharp 16-35mm f/4 L. If you've ever used a full-frame lens wider than 16mm, you'll know just how limited it is. Even Ken Rockwell's argument that "ultra-wides are for exaggeration" is achieved quite nicely at ~16mm.

I'll just say what everyone else is thinking / saying: This lens is nice, but Canon is extremely, horribly mistaken to think that 11mm f/4 is more urgent than ~14mm f/2.8. As a landscape and especially as an astro-landscape photographer, I've lost count of how many folks I've met in the field who have adapted the Nikon 14-24 to their Canon body, ...or jumped ship entirely.

Canon engineers, I don't care what kind of optical triumph this lens is; you've failed once again at releasing yourselves from Canon's corporate / marketing death-grip that thinks trophy lenses are more important than useful, affordable lenses.

=Matt=

Upvote 0

Canon has so many options on the wide end now... this one would be fantastic (for my own uses) if it could trade off some of the wide end in exchange for f/2.8.

I currently have the 16-35mm 2.8 II... great lens but wish it was a bit brighter (not as bright as my newer f/2.8 lenses) and a bit wider and sharper across the frame. It's a fine lens, but not up to the quality of the newer 24-70mm 2.8 II and 70-200mm 2.8 II.

I also have the 14mm f/2.8, which I love, but I wish it had the versatility of a zoom.

I do concert photography and shoot with multiple bodies and lenses (at the same time), and it would be nice to have something that kind of combined those two lenses that I have. I guess this new lens could be it if the f/4 was fast/bright enough, but everything I shoot with is f/2.8 and faster, and I always shoot wide open or at f/2.8 or less.

My dream lens in this area would be a 14-24mm 2.8 (IS would be a plus but not necessary for me). I actually find 14mm, as a focal length, really useful... but having said that, I don't think I've ever thought "I wish this was wider!". But given the new 16-35 f/4 and this lens, I don't expect to see such a lens anytime soon, but who knows?

Jason

Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com

Two vertical panoramas (3 images) of the 17 TS-E, to get the idea of nearly 11mm... it isn't enough, because 11mm full circle should be a tiny bit more.

Pink Sagrada Familia by davidcl0nel, on Flickr
It's the famous spot, and may be familiar to others to compare with "known" pictures, how huge that is. This picture works well, because it doen't look weird. If you don't know, how near it is (or how huge the towers/cranes are from this point), you accept it.
17mm on FF is nearly enough to get the Sagrada (alone, not the mirror) in Portrait mode onto the picture.

Berliner Dom by davidcl0nel, on Flickr
All arcs (Edit!) columns have basicly the same size - does it look good? Hmm, well.... I think not so...

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011

LukasS said:
Lee Jay said:
LukasS said:
I wonder how big would be DOF if that lens would be 2.8 - would that even be usable?
Hyperfocal distance would be only 4.71 feet at 11mm and f/2.8.

Thanks. For some street shooting (people closeups rather than whole scenes) should be enough.

Seems like you don't know what hyperfocal distance is. This means everything from half the HD to infinity would be acceptably sharp for a modest print like an 8x10 handheld.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

Matthew Saville said:
"...at this price, the lens must have remarkable optical performance"

...Such as being magically brighter than f/4? That'd be nice.

Okay seriously, folks. I can see this lens being another trophy on Canon's shelf for architecture and similar photographers, who spend all their time cramming themselves up against walls and into corners trying to get every last mm out of their lenses. And shooting at f/16.

However as an f/4 lens, that is decidedly all this lens is good at. Wedding photojournalists, casual landscape photographers, pretty much EVERYBODY else out there is going to be much better off with the reasonably priced, 77mm-threaded, delightfully sharp 16-35mm f/4 L.
for you maybe.

some want the ability to go wider. a 11-24mm rolls in nicely with a 24-70/4L and a 70-200/4L

not to mention 11-24 can also serve nicely as a UWA on a cropped camera body as well.

three's a lot landscapes I could certainly see shooting wider than 16mm. if you don't - well frankly, then I guess it's not for you.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

rocksubculture said:
Canon has so many options on the wide end now... this one would be fantastic (for my own uses) if it could trade off some of the wide end in exchange for f/2.8.

I currently have the 16-35mm 2.8 II... great lens but wish it was a bit brighter (not as bright as my newer f/2.8 lenses) and a bit wider and sharper across the frame. It's a fine lens, but not up to the quality of the newer 24-70mm 2.8 II and 70-200mm 2.8 II.

the 16-25II is around what .. 7 years old now? you'd have to think a III is coming out soon.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada

EF 11-24. How about that. It goes to Eleven.

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

- Spinal Tap

Upvote 0