Nikon D600 announced - $2100, let's see how Canon response!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TonyY

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d600

Sensor: 24,3MP CMOS Total: 24.7 million

Image size

FX 36mm x 24mm :
6,016 x 4,016 (L) 4,512 x 3,008 (M) 3,008 x 2,008 (S)

DX 24mm x 16mm
3,936 x 2,624 (L) 2,944 x 1,968 (M) 1,968 x 1,312 (S)

FX-format photographs taken in movie live view :
6,016 x 3,376 (L) 4,512 x 2,528 (M) 3,008 x 1,688 (S)

DX-format photographs in movie live view :
3,936 x 2,224 (L) 2,944 x 1,664 (M) 1,968 x 1,112 (S)

ISO 100 ~ 6,400. ( 50 - 25600)

Finder: 100% coverage.

AF: 39 points.

Shutter: 1/4,000 ~ 30 sec, bulb. Carbon fiber and Kevlar, tested to 150,000 cycles.

2,016-Segment RGB Meter

Flash Sync: 1/200. Built-in Flash

Frame Rate: 5,5 FPS.

Rear LCD: Exquisite 3.2," 921,000 pixels.

Video

The Nikon D600 can capture Full HD (1080p; 1,920 x 1,080 pixel) video at either 24, 25 or 30 frames per. For 720p (1,280 x 720 pixel) video, a rate of 60 frames per second is possible. Video can either be shot using data from pixels across the entire width of the image sensor in FX mode, or with a 1.5x (DX-format) focal length crop, taking data from the center of the imager, without affecting the video resolution.

Videos are recorded using H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC format compression, maximum clip length is 29 minutes, 59. Even more unusually, it's possible to have the live feed piped to the D600's HDMI port as an uncompressed full HD signal, allowing it to be recorded using an external device and/or routed to an external monitor. If desired, this signal can be mirrored on the camera's own LCD display at the same time; the off-camera feed doesn't have any overlays added, so as not to impact external recording devices.

And the time-lapse photography function can be used to automatically photograph relatively slow moving action

May 12, 2011
cliffwang said:
- 22MP vs 24MP
- 19 AF vs 39 AF
- 4.9 FPS vs 5.6 FPS
- non Flash Sync vs Flash Sync

Based on the spec the price of 6D should be very close to D600. However, you know recently Canon's price is not good. Thus, I would guess the price of 6D will be about 2500.

I think that's too close to the 5D3. 5D3's have been selling on eBay (non-gray market) for under $3k for months. I've seen one close to new listed on CL for $2700 up for the last week, it blows my mind that no one has jumped not hat yet and worries me about ever reselling mine.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
While I'm not planning to buy the D600 (mainly because I'm invested into Canon glass) - I do see this as good competition - that will ulimately benefit us as consumers.

Nikon is Canon's main DSLR rival. The price is 'ok' for a decent full frame (FF) body. If Nikon's (aka Sony's) sensors of late are anything to go by, the image quality will probably be of a very high quality.

It's true that there was a budget FF DSLR announced about 5 years ago (the Sony 850), which received lots of praise at the time for what it offered. Technology has progressed since. Many users are not as happy with Nikons 39pt AF (compared to the other 51pt AF offerings).

I currently own a Canon 7D, and am very happy with its 19pt AF (responsive, accurate and good spread) - even for when I use it for Birds in Flight (BIF). Of course more (good, fast, accurate cross-type points are often preferred). But the 7D's AF is good. If the rumoured 6D uses a similar AF system, that would be good enough for me for a FF.

Meanwhile, I'm looking down the track to what Canon might be putting in a 7DmkII.... But I expect yes, if the Nikon D600 rrp is $2100, probably a Canon 6D would be a few hundred dollars more..... maybe $2399?

Paul

Upvote 0
M

mitch.o

TonyY said:
I have a Sony Nex 5N, the APS-C image quality is as good as my loved 5D MarkII, from all the review I've read, Sony sensor is better than Canon. Canon should lower their price, they thought they were still in 5D and 5D Mark II time that dominating the market.

Canon doesn't just set their prices based on the (supposed) superiority of a competitor's product. They set prices based on their own production costs.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
That D600 is a very nicely spec'd unit for the price.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d600/spec.htm

has enough good features and customization to do virtually anything any non-pro will ever need, and should cover what most pros need too.

I like it.
But with 4 Nik bodies already on hand I can certainly wait to see what Canon's response will be and how each of these new "budget" FF bodies perform on the test charts.

I hope that its sensor performs at least as well as the D800's.
Considering the slightly larger pixels, it could perform even better if it hasn't been compromised by marketing.

Viva la competition!

update edit - found the brochure link too

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d600/pdf/d600_20p.pdf

.. from page 4, upper left paragraph, ".. while keeping noise remarkably low throughout the wide ISO range, and even further reduced at ISO 100."

Recent Nikon bodies already have impressively low noise at 100 ISO.
If this thing is even better, well, then I'm salivating.

there's more on that page about how they deal with noise.

I'm very interested to see how this performs and how Canon will compete with their next FF body.

Upvote 0
T

TonyY

mitch.o said:
TonyY said:
I have a Sony Nex 5N, the APS-C image quality is as good as my loved 5D MarkII, from all the review I've read, Sony sensor is better than Canon. Canon should lower their price, they thought they were still in 5D and 5D Mark II time that dominating the market.

Canon doesn't just set their prices based on the (supposed) superiority of a competitor's product. They set prices based on their own production costs.

I guess they will be lossing the game then.

Upvote 0
Axilrod said:
cliffwang said:
- 22MP vs 24MP
- 19 AF vs 39 AF
- 4.9 FPS vs 5.6 FPS

Based on the spec the price of 6D should be very close to D600. However, you know recently Canon's price is not good. Thus, I would guess the price of 6D will be about 2500.

I think that's too close to the 5D3. 5D3's have been selling on eBay (non-gray market) for under $3k for months. I've seen one close to new listed on CL for $2700 up for the last week, it blows my mind that no one has jumped not hat yet and worries me about ever reselling mine.

The list price of 5D3 is still 3500. The list price of 6D is very possible about 2500. As you mention people could get a 5D3 from authorized dealer for about 2900-3000 nowadays. That means people could get 6D for about 2000-2200 if they are not lazy to do their homework. I got my 5D3 for under 3K. Just recommend slickdeals.net for lazy people to find good deals. All my camera and lenses deals are from the website and all about 80%- of the list price. The only thing is you have to wait for deals. That's not really a good way to buy gears for PROs.

Upvote 0
TonyY said:
mitch.o said:
TonyY said:

I guess they will be lossing the game then.

That will take many many years. Canon won't keep their high price for long. The high pricing strategy won't hurt Canon much for now because it really has high market share. And high margin can bring Canon more profits. What Canon needs to do is changing the pricing strategy when it notice losing its customers. From business point of view, Canon is probably doing great job.

Upvote 0
mitch.o said:
TonyY said:

I respectfully disagree. The market also dictates the price. Canon surely before it releases something will study the market and release their product at a competitive price. You don't operate a business without looking at the current market. I think all their bosses know business management and knows this cardinal rule in business. Well, at least I can say Canon tries hard to keep up with the market. It's just their sensor technology is the one that's failing them. In the case of 5D3, do you think if they had offered a lot better sensor then it will more than justify the cost they set at $3500? Already everything in 5D3 is better than D800 except the sensor.

Upvote 0
Hi,
cliffwang said:
- 22MP vs 24MP
- 19 AF vs 39 AF
- 4.9 FPS vs 5.6 FPS

Nikon D600 only had 9 out of the 39 AF points are cross type, so if the rumor Canon 6D get the 7D AF, 19AF point will be all cross type. IMHO, 10 more cross AF point had more significant advantage over the 2MP and 1FPS disadvantage... so the question is the price. ::)

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
weixing said:
Hi,
cliffwang said:
- 22MP vs 24MP
- 19 AF vs 39 AF
- 4.9 FPS vs 5.6 FPS

Nikon D600 only had 9 out of the 39 AF points are cross type, so if the rumor Canon 6D get the 7D AF, 19AF point will be all cross type. IMHO, 10 more cross AF point had more significant advantage over the 2MP and 1FPS disadvantage... so the question is the price. ::)

Have a nice day.

How many Canon users (or expert photographers) would give up the (chanche to use the) precious Canon White (or black) Lenses for a few hundred dollars / euros?

Upvote 0
verysimplejason said:
I think it's not only the price. Upgraders from APS-C will find Nikon offering much easier to take. Imagine if you're invested in DX (AF-S) glasses. You can still take D600 and little by little upgrade your lenses. It's besides the fact that it's offering it at almost the same price of 5D2. Wow!
I can't se why buying FF to use it in crop mode, it is something I have never understood. Sometimes it can be useful cropping an image, but if i had to spend 2200 to buy d600 and using allways in crop mode, i would go for d7000 and some good glass.
Diego

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2012
cliffwang said:
- 22MP vs 24MP
- 19 AF vs 39 AF
- 4.9 FPS vs 5.6 FPS

the price would have to be 1500usd or so?...2100 usd ;)
the autofocus system has just 9 cross type sensor :-\
it lacks microfocus adjustment and has usb 2.0 interface (stupid thing)

the 6D is going to cost the same, if not less

Upvote 0
A major part of the manufacturing cost is the sensor, large sensors are exponentially more expensive than smaller ones. With today's sensor manufacturing technology a full-frame camera cannot approach the price of an APS-C camera.

I've heard somewhere that 60% of an entry level full-frame camera manufacturing cost is the sensor, and for these even lower cost cameras it's probably more.

Bottom line -- if you want cheap don't go full-frame.

Upvote 0
Hi,
verysimplejason said:
I think it's not only the price. Upgraders from APS-C will find Nikon offering much easier to take. Imagine if you're invested in DX (AF-S) glasses. You can still take D600 and little by little upgrade your lenses. It's besides the fact that it's offering it at almost the same price of 5D2. Wow!
I just wonder how many people will actually use the crop mode over a long period of time? For example, a user who own a D3200 with quite a number of DX lens decided to upgrade to D600 while he'll slowly upgrade to FX lens... then suddenly realized in DX mode, he only had 10MP on D600 while his old D3200 had 24MP... hmm... I'm not sure about others, but for me, I'll not be very happy during the transition time. If I'm a Nikon user ready to upgrade to a FF DSLR, I'll first upgrade all my len to FX lens before getting a FF DSLR.

So, for me, a FF DSLR offering a crop mode is not attractive at all, unless when using crop mode, the FF DSLR can achieve a much higher frame rate then that's another story.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.