Nikon D800 Value Dropping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
There is a almost new D800 on our local craigslist (not a scam) for $2100. I checked ebay and noted that there were a lot of sales in the $2200 range, some even included a cheap lens.

Why are people dumping them? I was tempted to get it as a 2nd body to my 5D MK III. I have several Nikon lenses. Finally, I decided that I'd pass it up, if others don't want them, I won't be able to resell it a year from now without losing money.
I did buy one new last May for $3K, and later sold it for $3200 when they were hot items. There are some better lenses now available or on the horizon, so the lens situation is not so bleak as it was.

I think I'll wait for a new backup body and see what the year brings. I just bought my 6th 40D this week, its great for my product photography, but isn't capable of ISO 6400 or 12800.

M

Malte_P

D800 cost 2260 euro here compared to 2979 euro for the 5D MK3 (both on amazon).
so the D800 price is not bad.

thought you need very good glass and you have to use a tripod to make best use of the 36 MP.

if you are a lazy handholding shooter and don´t want to spend so much money for the best glass you are better served with a D600. i think many notice that after a while.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Having had one, its a fine camera, but, as noted, even with high end Nikon Glass, its is difficult to get the resolution that the body can provide.

Calling users that have to capture quick images of a fleeting scene "Lazy" shows a lack of understanding how some photographers must work.

Calling me "Lazy" is probably correct, but even so, I sometimes only have a fraction of a second to capture the right moment.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
I don't know why people are "dumping" them bcoz of the "problem" stated here ... but it's funny that a similar post on Nikonrumors showed up about Canon 5D MK III ... I think it's more of a perception rather than fact ... while its true that D800 needs high end glass at 36MP, one can still use mid range lenses on D800 at lower resolutions (24MP etc) to get great images while handholding.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Rienzphotoz said:
I don't know why people are "dumping" them bcoz of the "problem" stated here ... but it's funny that a similar post on Nikonrumors showed up about Canon 5D MK III ... I think it's more of a perception rather than fact ... while its true that D800 needs high end glass at 36MP, one can still use mid range lenses on D800 at lower resolutions (24MP etc) to get great images while handholding.

Wouldn't that defeat the entire objective of buying a D800 in the first place?

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
I believe many people going from D700 to D800 where kinda overwhelmed by the transition from 12 to 36 MP.

A higher pixel density requires a different handling. When people keep using the same glass as before and doing things in the same way as before, results can be disappointing. It's no camera for a "run&gun" style - many D700 users switched to the 5D3 for this reason. Same is true for the computer hardware in post-processing. This is why a transition to D600's 24MP is often softer and more manageable.

Another possibility is that people are happy enough with the cheaper, lighter, D600. I have one and I seriously can't complain about a thing (except the 1/4000s max shutter speed). Things that the D600 lacks of, the D800 does too. I believe many people find the D600 + D7100 combo overall more effective than the D800 alone.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
J.R. said:
Rienzphotoz said:

No it does not.
I have a 16-35 f/2.8 L lens, but the vast majority of the pics taken are at f/16.
Most cars, in the country I currently live in, can do 240kms per hour, but no one ever drives over 140kms.
Canon cameras/lenses are my primary source of photography but I also use a Nikon D7000 & 18-300 VR lens as it comes in very handy at times but that does not mean it defeats the purpose of having a 5D MK III.
If someone already has several Nikkor lenses, D800 at a price point that is much below 5D MK III makes a lot of sense ... if one shoots at 24MP, the D800 gives similar high ISO performance (if not better) of 5D MK III.
People who "dump" D800 bcoz their mid range Nikkor lenses cannot handle resolutions at 36MP, don't know much about how to use their equipment. Every single Camera/lens has some drawback, a good photographer works around those drawbacks and concentrates on taking advantage of its strengths.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
Rienzphotoz said:
J.R. said:
Rienzphotoz said:

No it does not.
I have a 16-35 f/2.8 L lens, but the vast majority of the pics taken are at f/16.
Most cars, in the country I currently live in, can do 240kms per hour, but no one ever drives over 140kms.
Canon cameras/lenses are my primary source of photography but I also use a Nikon D7000 & 18-300 VR lens as it comes in very handy at times but that does not mean it defeats the purpose of having a 5D MK III.
If someone already has several Nikkor lenses, D800 at a price point that is much below 5D MK III makes a lot of sense ... if one shoots at 24MP, the D800 gives similar high ISO performance (if not better) of 5D MK III.
People who "dump" D800 bcoz their mid range Nikkor lenses cannot handle resolutions at 36MP, don't know much about how to use their equipment. Every single Camera/lens has some drawback, a good photographer works around those drawbacks and concentrates on taking advantage of its strengths.

I would add: and considers them BEFORE purchasing something ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Rienzphotoz said:
J.R. said:
Rienzphotoz said:

No it does not.

There is no law which bars you from shooting with 36mp, but you do have speed limits so your example of cars is rather misplaced and as good as comparing apples and oranges.

BTW, If you read my comment again, i was not in any way implying that a 5D3 would suit people better (even though it might, actually ;)) ...my point was that most buyers opted for the d800 mostly for the higher MP it offered. THAT objective is rather lost if you wish to shoot it at the d600 resolution which is available for substantially less $$$.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Albi86 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
J.R. said:
Rienzphotoz said:

No it does not.

Agreed, but in the case of the d800 there was so much euphoria with the uberpixelsand DR it had, nobody bothered to consider lens performance.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Albi86 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
J.R. said:
Rienzphotoz said:

No it does not.

Of course!

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
J.R. said:
Rienzphotoz said:
J.R. said:
Rienzphotoz said:

No it does not.
your example of cars is rather misplaced and as good as comparing apples and oranges.
No!
There are roads that allow you to drive at 240kmps ... but most cars (with a max limit of 240kmps per hour) would rattle and shake making the drive extremely unpleasant, if you were to drive them at their max speed limits ... I speak from personal experience as I drive a Mazda 3 & a SsangYong Kyron, the speedometer on both have an approx max limit of 240 kmps but even on a road/track where I am allowed to drive at their max speed the drive is extremely unpleasant ... even though the stated max speed limit is 240kms, the tires I have can only handle 160kms, the same applies to many cameras/lenses i.e. max limits are not always enjoyable or useful. So the examples of cars are not "misplaced" and nor are they like "comparing apples and oranges".
J.R. said:
BTW, If you read my comment again, i was not in any way implying that a 5D3 would suit people better
I did not think you were "implying that a 5D3 would suit people better", I only used that as an example.
Peace
J.R. said:
my point was that most buyers opted for the d800 mostly for the higher MP it offered. THAT objective is rather lost if you wish to shoot it at the d600 resolution which is available for substantially less $$$.
Not necessarily, D800 can be shot at 24MP for those who currently do not have high end glass ... but when they do upgrade to better glass they can take advantage of its full 36MP resolution ... besides the difference in cost between a D600 and D800 is around $600 ... as Mt Spokane Photography stated that several D800 cameras are available for around $2200, that brings down the difference even further.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
dilbert said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
There is a almost new D800 on our local craigslist (not a scam) for $2100. I checked ebay and noted that there were a lot of sales in the $2200 range, some even included a cheap lens.

Why are people dumping them? I was tempted to get it as a 2nd body to my 5D MK III. I have several Nikon lenses. Finally, I decided that I'd pass it up, if others don't want them, I won't be able to resell it a year from now without losing money.
I did buy one new last May for $3K, and later sold it for $3200 when they were hot items. There are some better lenses now available or on the horizon, so the lens situation is not so bleak as it was.

Well at least they're holding their value better than the 5D Mark III!

Debut'd at $3499 and has been on sale new for as little as $2799. Don't know about 2nd hand prices but they'd have to be less.

The new price of a D800 has dropped from $3000 to $2800.

5D3 with $700 (20%) drop vs D800 with $200 (7%) drop.

Easy to see which has held its price better.

I can see a few D800s for sale at or below $2200 2nd hand, but it has had a good workout at 17,000 snaps!

Maybe you should ask the sellers why they are selling rather than create a troll topic here?
All reputable stores are selling the 5D MK III for $3299 ... the $2799 you are quoting are "flash" sales i.e. just a couple of hundred units to promote a particular store (like Big Value Inc etc) for a very brief period.
So comparing "flash" sales of 5D MK III with the normal selling price of D800 is unfair. If you are going to compare at least be fair in also comparing the "flash" sales of D800 ... the last flash sale I saw of D800 was $2349.
IMHO both cameras are holding their price drops quite similarly.

Upvote 0
C

Canon-F1

Mt Spokane Photography said:
Calling users that have to capture quick images of a fleeting scene "Lazy" shows a lack of understanding how some photographers must work.

it takes more effort to get the maximum quality from the D800.
and when you buy the D800 and do not work the way, that you get the best images, you are either lazy or have bought the wrong camera.

that´s what he wrote.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
ankorwatt said:
Rienzphotoz said:
J.R. said:
Rienzphotoz said:

No it does not.

why f-16 ?
DDOF for landscape work

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
ankorwatt said:
Rienzphotoz said:
ankorwatt said:
Rienzphotoz said:
J.R. said:
Rienzphotoz said:

No it does not.

why f-16 ?
DDOF for landscape work

you lose a lot in contrast and resolution with 16, is not 8-11enough
No I do not "lose a lot in contrast and resolution with 16" ... for my work f/8 - f/11 is not enough

Upvote 0
http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/04/canon-usa-rebates-starting-april-14-2013-cr3/
Canon USA will start a new rebate program on April 14, 2013. Expect more lenses and camera bodies to be on the rebate program this time around. You can also expect big savings on the EOS 5D Mark III.

oh no, canon is DUMPING 5DmkIII's!!! ;)

There isn't any more dumping of D800's than there is of canon 5DmkIIIs. people are always selling and adjusting, and there is always somebody who doesn't like any given one camera. And while it is true that some D800's were originally affected by a focus issue, the vast majority aren't. Plus the d800 remains massively popular, probably far more than just about any Nikon body of their current generation. for every negative opinion, there are 10 hugely positive ones. Heck, it even took the crown position as the best Nikon dslr in Thom Hogan's poll regardless of last year's technical troubles that were since corrected.

Yet I'm all for price drops, I need to pick up at least a backup for my current one after switching my two 5DmkII's and glass, plus I think it will put added pressure to the 5DmkIII to keep dropping in price.

I expect that until canon doesn't introduce its own 30+mp body, the people stuck with one system will remain in denial of the benefits of very large MP, and unable (or unwilling) understand why the D800 remains the top dog for some of us that value its unmatched resolution, DR, and clean shadows. But given a canon high MP release, they will change their tune soon enough as they usually do. Stockholm syndrome? Sadly, not exclusive to canon users as every week we see a negative post on some competitor at some other board. It seems every week there is a new D800 FUD post matched with a 5DmkIII FUD post. get a job people! ::)

Either way, ALL cameras DROP in value. Anybody on the fence for a D800 should love a price cut. It is already a deal for 2800 with the rebates.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.