Nikon releases a teaser video for the upcoming flagship Z 9 mirrorless camera

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
That depends. A 45mp sensor that has a flagship sized buffer (as opposed to the R5's painfully small and slow buffering) would be a significant accomplishment. Basically, it sounds like a 45mp R3, which is what a lot of people wanted from Canon. I give Nikon credit for that. Top of the line flagships aren't groundbreakers as you know, they need to be solid, steady workhorses and it sounds like this will accomplish that.
Yes, basically a 45MP version of the R3, but lacking the eye-control focus point selector. Hard to say which of those features is the most valuable. I’d guess that most people shooting human subjects, especially sports, would consider the eye-control of the Canon to be more valuable. But for wildlife photographers, who usually need to crop fairly heavily, the extra MP of the Nikon would take the prize.

Decisions will also be heavily influenced by the rather different selections of native MILC lenses offered by each brand, although both will be able to adapt existing DSLR glass with only a fairly minor loss of performance.

But in reality, people already committed to Canon will probably get the R3, and upgrade to the R1 (which presumably will be 45MP or thereabouts), while people already tied into the Nikon system will jump at the Z9. I don’t honestly think many pros or “high end” amateurs will switch brands, as no one really *wants* to switch brands and have to buy a whole suite of new lenses and flashguns. People shooting for a living also don’t want to have to learn a new “alien” camera, if it can possibly be avoided.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

An interesting note in the video is the models eye makeup. Now some skeptics are saying it was to make it easier for the eye AF (which would be a daft way to train it), or less skeptical suggest it is purely just makeup. To me, since the camera was able to focus in both orientations on a horizontal line it suggests we might have the first mirrorless equivalent of cross type points, especially given that current mirrorless cameras (from any manufacturer) can't focus on lines in the 'wrong' orientation.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Go Nikon. Hopefully its a good camera for them and their users. The better it is the better the future Canon camera's will be.
Nikon has lost alot of users, It needs some sort of boost. If all-round its better than the R3 it helps the brand and encourages uers to stick with them.
I've friends with the Z6II and Z7II and they are very happy with the cameras.
I think 45MP was a good choice. . I'd have been in favour of that for the R3.
I own the 1DXIII and I think the 20MP sensor is its only weak point (besides weight).
If it had been even 30MP it would be have a better all round camera.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I *do* prefer this style of flippy screen
Even better would be a screen that tilts both vertically and horizontally AND swings forward for vloggers AND can be flipped into reverse to protect it from scratches.

i.e. a 2-way tilting screen with a ball joint on the left side (as viewed from behind the camera).

I believe the Panasonic S1H has such a screen.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
No selfies possible with that screen and yes I have done them with my R5 :)
In general, 1d and Dx have the best video specs of their 35mm ILCs so it is surprising to me that 4k/120 isn't rumoured especially as the resolution reduces evenly from 8k resolution. I haven't heard of any reason why the A1's 60mp sensor resolution was chosen vs 45mp if 8k was important. That said, the A1's video processing from 8.6k to 8k including compression still generates less heat than the R5's raw.

Which brings us to the R1..... If it doesn't have 45mp then it would be considered poor competition to the A1/Z9 as the R3's resolution is probably the only perceived issue with it
If the R3's eye control works well and generally accepted (compared to the R's touch bar) then it is likely to be retained on the R1. New features could be global sensor (or fast enough read time to make eshutter flash sync to ~1/400s) and quad pixel for horizontal and vertical sensitivity.
Battery life should be improved over the R3/R5 as well so new battery?
The gap in the body as per the patent would certainly differentiate it, make it lighter but not sure if heat dissipation would be improved.

What else would be considered a new feature?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I really wouldn’t say “way” ahead. Slightly maybe. But not by much.

No, stacked sensors are quite significantly ahead of traditional sensors. Saying otherwise just makes me think of those that where late to catch onto the benefits of dual core processors. You have a sensor that can read out significantly faster giving you the ability to not need the mechanical shutter even when fast panning, you have what you see being markably more realtime, you can shoot and track subjects without blackout. Frankly stacked sensors are the path to the global shutter, and it is the first mirrorless tech that pushes us past the OVF to things that weren't possible before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
No selfies possible with that screen and yes I have done them with my R5 :)
In general, 1d and Dx have the best video specs of their 35mm ILCs so it is surprising to me that 4k/120 isn't rumoured especially as the resolution reduces evenly from 8k resolution. I haven't heard of any reason why the A1's 60mp sensor resolution was chosen vs 45mp if 8k was important. That said, the A1's video processing from 8.6k to 8k including compression still generates less heat than the R5's raw.

Which brings us to the R1..... If it doesn't have 45mp then it would be considered poor competition to the A1/Z9 as the R3's resolution is probably the only perceived issue with it
If the R3's eye control works well and generally accepted (compared to the R's touch bar) then it is likely to be retained on the R1. New features could be global sensor (or fast enough read time to make eshutter flash sync to ~1/400s) and quad pixel for horizontal and vertical sensitivity.
Battery life should be improved over the R3/R5 as well so new battery?
The gap in the body as per the patent would certainly differentiate it, make it lighter but not sure if heat dissipation would be improved.

What else would be considered a new feature?
16 bit files.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
An interesting note in the video is the models eye makeup. Now some skeptics are saying it was to make it easier for the eye AF (which would be a daft way to train it), or less skeptical suggest it is purely just makeup. To me, since the camera was able to focus in both orientations on a horizontal line it suggests we might have the first mirrorless equivalent of cross type points, especially given that current mirrorless cameras (from any manufacturer) can't focus on lines in the 'wrong' orientation.

actually, Oly's using cross type PDAF for a few years

https://www.getolympus.com/ca/en/digitalcameras/omd/e-m1-mark-ii.html

scroll down to Tech Specs

Their 'next big thing' may actually be global shutter, too.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
16 bit would be nice and definitely a feature!
Most users would be happy with 14 bit eshutter but 16 bit would be sweet.
Are there any cameras out there with 16 bit depth in raw stills that isn't medium format?
It will definitively be an interesting feature if the Z9 can deliver high enough DR to make those 2 extra bit useful.

Upvote 0
Will be interesting to see what they have once it's launched. Eye-controlled AF, or really eye-controlled focus point selection, is a far more interesting feature to me than high MP count. As for the fps value, ultimate maximum fps is not nearly as interesting as maximum fps with continuous AF. But it will be very interesting to see the reviews and comparisons. Question is though, when will we see the R1 announced?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

actually, Oly's using cross type PDAF for a few years

https://www.getolympus.com/ca/en/digitalcameras/omd/e-m1-mark-ii.html

scroll down to Tech Specs

Their 'next big thing' may actually be global shutter, too.

A global shutter would require a monstrously powerful processor that I don’t believe is possible yet, nor necessary for photography as if the readout is fast enough global shutters don’t matter.

I didn’t know Olympus had cross type, but regardless Sony, Canon, and Nikon don’t yet have a solution.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to decide on the R3 or Z9. I saw part of the teaser announcement that read, 'Nikon announces a Z9' that was all I could at the time. I was super excited! Then when I had time to actually look at it, I found out it was a teaser. I wasn't too happy and then to find there's 2 more teasers, quit teasing and announce it already.

Upvote 0
The bigger joke is the A1's 'buffer' for a 'flagship' model. But really, is the fact that we have arrived at high resolution and fps and buffers a surprise.
Are you having buffer issues with your A1?
I've been finding the ~150 shot buffer to be more than adequate. And I'm not even using the CFexpress cards. Just V90 SD.
I have more buffer issues with my R5 using CFexpress but I understand the R5 is just a consumer model and not flagship so that has to be expected.
I'm sure the R3 will do fine with its 20MP files.

Upvote 0