Nikon to acquire RED and make it a subsidiary

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
It's okay. I still wuv you. On another note, this likely came out of the RED-Nikon patent lawsuit and was not something that happened organically or with great thought and effort on RED's part. Both Jim and Jarred LOVE Canon and have a personal history with their products, so I suspect they would have loved to have sold out to them, but the two companies never sat down and talked about anything as far as I know.
Well it appears you may not know everything.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Makes me wonder . . . will Nikon go to RED sensors / global shutters in the stills arena and get themselves out from under the Sony limitations?

Why wouldn't they?

Cost, maybe. Whomever manufactures the sensors in RED's cameras (some say Forza) doesn't do it at nearly the scale of Sony Semiconductors.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
RED doesn't really do sensors like people think they do. All of their so-called sensor tech is from third-parties in the semiconductor industry who hold their own R&D, while RED puts together the imaging software and camera designs behind the sensors and takes all the credit for the final product. RED cherry-picks the sensor designs and features they want to shoot for in a sellable product and their in-house techs try to make it work in a camera body that uses off-the-shelf computing hardware and their own secret sauce image processing software and codecs, which is why their cameras ended up being so inexpensive and took the market by storm, as they were not using the same rulebook or methods as the big names. The RED branding and design mystique was exposed some years back, when they got into a pile of lawsuits with a bunch of companies (ARRI, Apple, Nikon, etc.) and a guy who was making unauthorized RED accessories - mostly media - that outperformed what they were forcing customers to use, which led to a later program of authorized accessories that RED owners now enjoy. This acquisition is all about getting RED's video codec and image processing patents, along with some cross-licensing stuff that enables Nikon to move forward into the video marketplace.

Upvote 0
I’ll admit I don’t really know the professional cinema camera market, but I’ve heard of RED, and I’m familiar with Nikon. From what little I do know about both companies, this sounds like a deal that could benefit Nikon, but it’s less clear to me how it will benefit RED.
The shareholders get rich.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Product intrigue aside, I think this a wait and see what happens situation. The track record of Japanese companies buying American companies is not all that great. I had good visibility of Sony's adventures into the American business market for many years, and their biggest successes were with service companies. Product related acquisitions seldom went anywhere.

There is also the business model of the film industry to consider. Filmmakers seldom actually buy equipment, but rather rent it for the duration of a production with Panavision being the the big dog in the rental business for that market. Clearly, more and more content is being made outside of Hollywood, but if a production is venture based, the business model may well be similar, with the exception that places like Lens Rentals may pick up a bigger share of the business than they would with a Hollywood centric model.

The bottom line is that broadcasters buy equipment but for the most part, movie companies do not, so Red's business model is likely selling the majority of their products to a relatively few rental companies. How that squares with Nikon's business model remains to be seen.

Upvote 0
It will be interesting to see if and how the graft will take hold, between a rather bureaucratic and conservative Japanese multinational on the one hand and a Californian quasi-sect on the other, with:
  • its guru, Jim Jannard, soon to be 75, founder, majority shareholder and former chairman & CEO, who has been gradually retiring since 2013, mainly for health reasons, but is still chairman of the board,
  • its deputy guru, Jarred Land, 48, CTO then CEO and finally President & CEO since Jannard's gradual retirement, and
  • its disciples, not only RED's 220 employees, but also its thousands of users/followers.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It will be interesting to see if and how the graft will take hold, between a rather bureaucratic and conservative Japanese multinational on the one hand and a Californian quasi-sect on the other, with:
  • its guru, Jim Jannard, soon to be 75, founder, majority shareholder and former chairman & CEO, who has been gradually retiring since 2013, mainly for health reasons, but is still chairman of the board,
  • its deputy guru, Jarred Land, 48, CTO then CEO and finally President & CEO since Jannard's gradual retirement, and
  • its disciples, not only RED's 220 employees, but also its thousands of users/followers.
First, they all have to figure out if it's pronounced N-eye-kon or N-eee-kon.

• Haha
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
While recent RED cameras can produce world-class results, the amount of operational management required to achieve such output is significant. In comparison, cameras like the FX3 or R5C are considerably easier to manage.

Seems like this would be a good fit then—Nikon's ergonomics and general operational approach seems second to none

Upvote 0