Odds & Ends: 70D, 7D2, New Full Frame, D600 & Photoshop CS6

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

booshi

Re: Odds & Ends: 70D, 7D2, New Full Frame, D600 & Photoshop CS6

After hours of searching and reading 7D2 spec speculations, I have come to a point where I think 7D2 will not have a FF sensor. It can have, either APS-C or APS-H,still, the probability of having an APS-H is very less.

This is simply based on a theory:

Lets assume a person, very new to the DSLR community, wants to buy a DSLR. He would go with the Rebel series if he is not a great spender(most likely with T2i, with its lesser price and a great review 8)). If he is ready to spend more, then he would go with 7D for its amazing power. A person having a Rebel series would like to upgrade to 7D and not to 60D as 60D is not that much of an upgrade. So where does 60D stand? Does it have a strong base like Rebel series or 7D? No. :eek:

7D has its legendary sales number and a huge fan base. So Canon would not destroy 7D's line up just to reply for Nikon's cheap entry level FF DSLR. And there are rebel DSLRs to cope the need of entry levels or photo enthusiasts. So we do not need 60D line, as there are many APS-C cameras for each and every need. Thats where 70D come in with a FF sensor and features borrowed from 7D in a 60D body.

So basically,

70D -> FF + some 7D features + 60D body priced above the current 7D - around $1500 or $1600.
Or this can also be a new line up. say 6D or 70Dx :p and 70D could still be an upgrade to the current 60D.

7D -> APS-C or APS-H with upgrades taken from 1Dx and 5D3 -> 61 AF, 10 - 12 fps, dual digic 5, higher ISO ( 2 stops more) and low noise at higher ISO, better IQ and probably 22MP if APS-C or 16-18MP if it is APS-H (would be happy if they resurrect the legendary APS-H, but with cameras moving towards mirrorless, canon is unlikely to have an extra burden to continue APS-H sensor parallel to their current active sensors).
Making it the top Crop DSLR, very much suitable for sports and wildlife as it still has a base crop sensor in its body.

And as all the canon rumors say, 70D will come out first and later 7D2. 70D would come out in September in Photokina along with Nikon's D600 - The 2 entry level FF DSLRs. And after some time, canon would release 7D2, later this year or early next year to haunt the speculated Nikon's D7100.

This is just my opinion, donno what will happen. Have to just wait and watch. ;)

Upvote 0

dlleno said:
That said we should note that some have never had the need or desire to shoot handheld 28mm f/2.8 at 1/6th second.

What about:
Waterfall photographs without tripod
Cityscape night shots with crowd movement (again, without tripod)
Longer panning shots

There is value in handholding exposures > 1/10 sec, even if some people refuse to believe it. Brian Carnathan (the-digital-picture.com) has a 1 sec handheld exposure with the 15-85mm IS on his review (including a 100% crop), you can't tell me the stabilization didn't have a significant role in creating that image.

Upvote 0

KyleSTL said:
dlleno said:
That said we should note that some have never had the need or desire to shoot handheld 28mm f/2.8 at 1/6th second.

What about:
Longer panning shots

There is value in handholding exposures > 1/10 sec, even if some people refuse to believe it. Brian Carnathan (the-digital-picture.com) has a 1 sec handheld exposure with the 15-85mm IS on his review (including a 100% crop), you can't tell me the stabilization didn't have a significant role in creating that image.

exactly right -- that was my point as well. those who reject the value of IS just don't have the need or desire to shoot these situations, it seems.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010

dlleno said:
KyleSTL said:
dlleno said:

What about:
Longer panning shots

exactly right -- that was my point as well. those who reject the value of IS just don't have the need or desire to shoot these situations, it seems.
Also useful for interior shots inside castles, churches, temples,museums etc. where tripod is not allowed.

Upvote 0

Rocky said:
dlleno said:
KyleSTL said:
dlleno said:

What about:
Longer panning shots

Also useful for interior shots inside castles, churches, temples,museums etc. where tripod is not allowed.

also very usefull when you are standing on a vibrating platform trying to shoot in low light

Upvote 0

briansquibb said:
wickidwombat said:
also very usefull when you are standing on a vibrating platform trying to shoot in low light

Make sure the lens is weatherproof if you are going to take pics on the waterbed :D

LOL i would have got a pic of the 1D and 24-105 covered in iron ore but i was too busy
crying like a little girl and trying to clean it all off with disposable glasses lens cleaning alcohol wipes
these do an amazing job by the way. It did cost me $175 to have the iron ore removed from the focus ring though hence why i would prefer a non telescoping zoom

Upvote 0

samirachiko said:
The canon entry level full frame will be 6D! It makes no sense call it 7D MK2! the xD comeback to FF; the XXD will be top of aps-c! :)

My hope is: entry level full frame with swivel screen + 24-105L= 2000 Euro! ;D

Why must FF = xD? I have asked this before and nobody has an answer (I am not a long time photography follower so I would like to know from the more senior folk here)

I think PRO = xD regardless of sensor size. From marketing point this makes more sense.

Prosumer & Consumer = mirrorless, xxxxD, xxxD or xxD. Again regardless of sensor size.

This is why I also think remaking the xxD into the FF entry level, swivel screen + 24 - 105L for your 2000Euro makes the most sense. For this price it cannot be magnesium alloy and fully weather sealed or 100% viewfinder. All attributes I will more likely attribute to the xD line than mere sensor size (from a marketing point of view)

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

daniemare said:
I think PRO = xD regardless of sensor size. From marketing point this makes more sense.

Prosumer & Consumer = mirrorless, xxxxD, xxxD or xxD. Again regardless of sensor size.

That is a fair way of doing it, however that would mean

- 7D would have to be renamed
- 5DII would have to be renamed
- 5DIII might have to be renamed

and I dont think that will happen

Traditionally the only pro cameras have been the 1 series

The single digits have been the semi pro

The double digits have been the 'enthusiasts'

The triple digits for the 'hobbyists'

The 4 digits the entry level

Upvote 0

briansquibb said:
daniemare said:

1 series has been the 'Flagship'

Single digits has been pro/semi pro

Upvote 0

briansquibb said:
daniemare said:

By Pro I mean anyone that earns a fair bit of money from their photography. Be it full time (pro) or part time (semi-pro). Also, Pro can also refer to ruggedness and overall ability.

From where I am sitting, the 5D is for sure a Pro camera. I think it is safe to make an accurate (yet unsientific) conclusion that most Canon wedding shooters use that cam - thus it is Pro. And from what I am reading, a lot of sport guys are using the 7D.

For me, there is a distinct difference between Pro and Flagship. The Flagship cam will probably be Pro, but not all Pro cams will be flagship.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

daniemare said:
briansquibb said:
daniemare said:

By Pro I mean anyone that earns a fair bit of money from their photography. Be it full time (pro) or part time (semi-pro). Also, Pro can also refer to ruggedness and overall ability.

From where I am sitting, the 5D is for sure a Pro camera. I think it is safe to make an accurate (yet unsientific) conclusion that most Canon wedding shooters use that cam - thus it is Pro. And from what I am reading, a lot of sport guys are using the 7D.

For me, there is a distinct difference between Pro and Flagship. The Flagship cam will probably be Pro, but not all Pro cams will be flagship.

This is where people get tied up in definitions

- a pro photographer
- a pro camera

are not necessary linked

I know of a (good) pro wedding photographer that has a 400d as a backup body - does that make a 400d a pro camera? And a lot of second shooters have a G series as P&S for receptions.

To me a pro camera is one that will do all jobs, in all conditions, giving top IQ. That to me means 1 series as all the others fall down in weather proofing.

Yes a 5D is used by pro photographers - but how many wedding shoots are out in the rain?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.