Preorder: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
lw said:
not quite sure what relevance that has.

The relevance is that it's all about pricing strategy, regardless whether the vendor / distributor / provider is an individual, a corporation or a government.

The nice thing about buying products / services not provided / mandated / priced by the government is that you have more freedom of choice. You don't like the price? Don't buy it. (Or wait to see if the price comes down.)

Upvote 0
lw said:
Merely that Canon UK chose to over-inflate the price of new products knowing that some early adoptors will be prepared to pay a premium.

Just about every profitable company that develops new products does this. And if they don't, then they need to send one of their employees to an introductory class on economics. And if they pay attention, they'll also learn why it's profitable to use different pricing strategies for different markets. It's fine to hate it, but as they say... don't hate the player, hate the game.

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
Skirball said:
Just about every profitable company that develops new products does this. And if they don't, then they need to send one of their employees to an introductory class on economics. And if they pay attention, they'll also learn why it's profitable to use different pricing strategies for different markets. It's fine to hate it, but as they say... don't hate the player, hate the game.

Of course.

My gripe, that people seem to be missing, is not that Canon charge an 'early adoptor premium', but that Canon UK levy a higher one than the US...

So, not only are the UK prices higher (leaving taxes aside) than the US because they chose to convert the price at pounds for dollars - but then, they increase them even more on some products.

How can anyone explain in the case of the EF-S 24mm STM they launched that at $149 in the US, but launched it at £179 ($275) in the UK? Taxes and duties only account for a small percentage of that. The rest is just pure rip-off greed on the part of Canon UK. That's my complaint....

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
lw said:
Steve Balcombe said:
Pricing strategy is different - in the UK launch prices are slightly higher (don't forget a big part of the difference is VAT) but after a few months it should drop by 25% or more. If you don't need it straight away just bide your time and you'll get it for £99 soon enough.

That's somewhat true, but I don't see why it should be that way. If the US can have it introduced at the same price as the existing lens, then so should we! :)
I dislike this 'early adopter premium' approach.

Still, it will be available via Hong Kong soon enough at a much cheaper price, and with a low cost lens like this there is little to worry about importing one, warranty wise. So the only losers are Canon UK and their UK dealers...

Yep, I don't disagree. I recently bought my 100-400L II from a grey market importer, because the combination of a high 'early adopter' price and not qualifying for the cashback because I'd already bought my 7D Mark II (!!!) left me me no rational alternative.

Upvote 0
Sorry I didn't read through all the comments.... But is it the same lens as the old one albeit with new coatings and stm etc etc? Or is it a totally new lens design ? I see both have 6 elements in five groups....if so it will be a bit of a disappointment if all they could do in all these years to improve it was add a metal mount and stm motor...but hoping its actually a brand new lens design!

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
jeffa4444 said:
$ 125 plus 20% UK VAT = $ 156.25 divided by exchange rate of £ 1.00 = $ 1.57 makes the lens £ 99.52

That means Canon Europe is ripping us off again at £ 129.00 a 30% premium

In this case - a cheap lens - there really is little to worry about importing one from a cheaper source. Not only will they offer their own warranty anyway, but to be honest there is little to be concerned about if you didn't have a warranty on an item like this.

Upvote 0
lw said:
Of course.

My gripe, that people seem to be missing, is not that Canon charge an 'early adoptor premium', but that Canon UK levy a higher one than the US...

So, not only are the UK prices higher (leaving taxes aside) than the US because they chose to convert the price at pounds for dollars - but then, they increase them even more on some products.

How can anyone explain in the case of the EF-S 24mm STM they launched that at $149 in the US, but launched it at £179 ($275) in the UK? Taxes and duties only account for a small percentage of that. The rest is just pure rip-off greed on the part of Canon UK. That's my complaint....

100% with you lw. People are either trying to be smart with you or just simply aren't reading what you've said.

For an international company the size of Canon it is pretty ridiculous to have such price disparity for two markets that are very similar, even with taxes etc. accounted for.

I don't LOVE the idea of early adopter premiums but it makes too much sense for companies not too; all I want is the US and UK prices to be comparable after taxes. As you've stated, a lens like this can be bought grey market with little thought given to the consequences and Canon UK dealers are the only ones who lose!

Upvote 0
Ivan Muller said:
Sorry I didn't read through all the comments.... But is it the same lens as the old one albeit with new coatings and stm etc etc? Or is it a totally new lens design ? I see both have 6 elements in five groups....if so it will be a bit of a disappointment if all they could do in all these years to improve it was add a metal mount and stm motor...but hoping its actually a brand new lens design!
Canon did not say whether there were changes in optical design. However, the number of elements and groups identical to the old model, makes me assume that the only optical update are the modern coatings.

I would expect small improvements in flare, light transmission, and Bokeh, in addition to major mechanical improvements.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
lw said:
neuroanatomist said:
I don't see why people in the US should pay nearly double the prescription medication costs of people in the UK (ok, I do see why but that's country specific laws and international commerce for you).

I dislike this 'pay up if you want to maintain your health' approach.

I guess it's all about perspective…

not quite sure what relevance that has.

This is nothing to do with taxation or health care.
Merely that Canon UK chose to over-inflate the price of new products knowing that some early adoptors will be prepared to pay a premium. And that they seem to be doing it by a greater margin than Canon US do.
It's this marketing ploy I dislike, not the price differential between UK and US, and the extra we pay in taxes.

It has about as much relevance as your complaint, which is to say, none. The issue gets brought up frequently, economic parity doesn't exist, different governments offer different trade incentive to different trading partners, regulations differ (sometimes with global impact, such at the EU policy resulting in a <30' video recording time limit), corporate divisional policies differ (can't buy a M3 in the US), etc.

Perhaps venting makes you feel better, but it doesn't change reality. Pay more, import (in compliance with import duties...or not), or don't buy.

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
It has about as much relevance as your complaint, which is to say, none. The issue gets brought up frequently, economic parity doesn't exist, different governments offer different trade incentive to different trading partners, regulations differ (sometimes with global impact, such at the EU policy resulting in a <30' video recording time limit), corporate divisional policies differ (can't buy a M3 in the US), etc.

Perhaps venting makes you feel better, but it doesn't change reality. Pay more, import (in compliance with import duties...or not), or don't buy.

Clearly you didn't read or understand my post. lholmes549 did.

lholmes549 said:
100% with you lw. People are either trying to be smart with you or just simply aren't reading what you've said.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Haydn1971 said:
Not sure this has been seen yet...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=15070

New 50mm f1.8 uses the 25 year old optics - this begs a question - 35mm f2.0 cheapo to follow ?

I think the TDP post is pretty much what we've all been thinking all along. The Nifty has very good optics but the build, noise, mount and bokeh are pretty shoddy. Fixing those and this might be the best value in the FF lens lineup.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
lw said:
Clearly you didn't read or understand my post. lholmes549 did.

Sorry, I guess I missed the part where you blatantly begged for sympathy and commiseration. My bad.

Funny how you complain that Canon lenses cost more in the UK than the USA, but you're 'not quite sure of the relevance' that a different type of product costs more in the USA than in the UK.

Upvote 0
lholmes549 said:
lw said:
Of course.

For an international company the size of Canon it is pretty ridiculous to have such price disparity for two markets that are very similar, even with taxes etc. accounted for.

I don't LOVE the idea of early adopter premiums but it makes too much sense for companies not too; all I want is the US and UK prices to be comparable after taxes. As you've stated, a lens like this can be bought grey market with little thought given to the consequences and Canon UK dealers are the only ones who lose!

No, we read it, we simply understand that you're comparing two different markets and expecting them to perform the same. As NA listed above, there are several reasons for cost-based price differences. And then there's the simple economics of it: if a company believes that charging more will lead to more profit, they will do so. Sometimes it backfires, sometimes it does not. Big corporations spend a lot of money analyzing markets and developing pricing strategies, and if they believe a market will be less responsive to price changes then they will push the price up. As mentioned in this thread several times, they've been doing this for some time in the EU market, so obviously it's working for them. You can't blame them for trying to maximize profit. Again, don't hate the player, hate the game.

FWIW I'm not saying I disagree with you. And if I lived in the EU I'd probably feel the same way. But much as the case is with the markups on the lens hoods, I simply except it for what it is and adjust my position accordingly (i.e. I buy generics off Amazon).

Upvote 0