Preorder: You can now preorder the Canon EOS R system and other new Canon gear

Awww. That is cute.
Anyway, I bought A7R to find out. Maybe it turns to be a bad ecosystem, and I´ll scratch my head some more.
But for now? Weeeeeeeee 36Mpx FF for less than $1000. According to last leaks, Canon is not going to touch it even in 2019. So that makes it quite safe bet that I won´t switch back in half a year...

Touch 36mp or the $1000?

I think the $1000 is a safe bet.

I think you are right, Canon will not release a 36mp camera next year.
It will be 50 plus.

Have fun chasing the rainbow.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Awww. That is cute.
Anyway, I bought A7R to find out. Maybe it turns to be a bad ecosystem, and I´ll scratch my head some more.
But for now? Weeeeeeeee 36Mpx FF for less than $1000. According to last leaks, Canon is not going to touch it even in 2019. So that makes it quite safe bet that I won´t switch back in half a year...
I'd love it if you could post some pictures you take with the Sony, especially the ones you feel you could not have got with your FF Canon. Now that would be interesting, for sure Canon don't give you a secondhand FF 36MP option, the question then becomes what can actually be done with it?

Upvote 0
Touch 36mp or the $1000?

I think the $1000 is a safe bet.

I think you are right, Canon will not release a 36mp camera next year.
It will be 50 plus.

Have fun chasing the rainbow.

Didn´t understand to the question...
36Mpx FF for less than $1000. That´s what I meant.
Well, it might be +50, but for what sacrifice, what price, what size and weight, what available lenses, what video, what Canon bragging righs, what DR of the sensor, what, what what... :)

Upvote 0
I'd love it if you could post some pictures you take with the Sony, especially the ones you feel you could not have got with your FF Canon. Now that would be interesting, for sure Canon don't give you a secondhand FF 36MP option, the question then becomes what can actually be done with it?

That is very broad question, taking into account many life situations.
My current M6 paired with 22mm f/2 is my EDC and daily driver.

Sony A7R setup is not that much bigger. With Canon, There would be NO IMAGES in the comparison, as it is either out of price (rather value) reach, and also I would not take it with me so often, so no images would be taken. So we´re close comparing to images to "no images".
Where the comparison can be made is with the M6.
And that is the one I´m going to try...

Upvote 0

ScottO

CR Pro
Sep 16, 2014
Good luck with your Sony A7R, Over the last few years we’ve had a number of Sony’s in including the A7R and none of them have worked out for us. The ergonomics on all were lacking, Color science was lacking, Menus were terrible, and we found them less than reliable . But if it works for you great .

While I am pretty much retired now I’m in with both feet On the EOS R.

Viva the revolution

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I just watched a YouTube video on the R, and it showed a feature I don't think other mirrorless cameras have: a "curtain" that covers the sensor when the camera is off (reminisent of the old "dark slides" on MF and LF cameras). I think it was here on Canon Rumors where the idea of this kind of thing was discussed in general, and it's pretty good to finally see a company implementing what seems like a common sense way to help keep the sensor clean. I suspect we'll see a lot of other little things that are very appreciated, if not written and argued about.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Why is there no break when buying the 24-105 F4 kit??? Granted, it's only $1.00 but you get a better deal buying separate. R body $2299 + 24-105 F4 $1099 = $3398.00 vs $3399.00 for kit. Kits are supposed to be cheaper. Here, you're penalized a dollar. Makes no sense.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
So tempted to put the preorder in for a body and adapter with control ring. Need to wait a little longer until a few more impressions talking about adapted lenses on the body though.
Concur. Show us photos comparing R with new RF 24-105 side by side with R + adapter + Gen 2 EF 24-105 so we can make a more informed decision.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Adorama delivers to Europe. Adorama prices are without VAT, you'll have to pay the VAT to your own country. E.g. shipping to Finland $77,50. Total price $2376,50, add VAT 24 % and you get $2946.50. Total price in EUR is €2518,00 (approximate). And the European package includes the 99$ adapter., which the U:S: package does not. Not that bad. In Finland the standard price seems to be €2650 with the adapter. No point i ordering from the U.S.
We Americans are jealous of your pricing which includes the adapter.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Everyone on these forums: "I'll wait for the high megapixel version"

umm since when is 30mp not enough for you? Billboard size prints not big enough?

I'm looking to upgrade my current summer macro setup: M1 + MP-E65 + MT24. I'd like to move to FF to make the MP-E a bit wider, I've run unto hornet and parasitic wasps that are slightly too big for 1:1 on APS-C. But for most of my pictures I stay between 1x and 2x to keep the DoF and working distance big enough and crop in post.
The R would give me ~11MP in the area of the frame where I now have ~18MP. So, for me, the perfect upgrade would be an R with 46+MP.

OTOH, I've made decent progress with mounting a 270EX and 430EX off camera with enough diffusion to get nice shots of such "large" subjects with a 100 and 150mm macro lens on a 7D1.

The MP-E + MT24 combo is very compact fits into tighter spaces than the 100mm + 430EX, and with exposure sim enabled it gives me a much brighter picture on the LCD than the OVF.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Didn´t understand to the question...
36Mpx FF for less than $1000. That´s what I meant.
Well, it might be +50, but for what sacrifice, what price, what size and weight, what available lenses, what video, what Canon bragging righs, what DR of the sensor, what, what what... :)

Good luck with the A7R. If I were shopping for a "cheaper" used Sony FF, I would have gone for an R2, as they seem to be quite plentiful; they seem to be close to the USD $1k mark. R2 was a pretty big improvement over R1. I passed on a used one in reasonable condition for significantly less than that (mostly because, what would I do with a Sony body? I would then need to buy Sony lenses..).

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Why is a battery Grip 25% of the cost of the camera so I noticed no joystick. Weird because I think it is needed and does that mean it is gone for good or there will be another grip with one if they ever make a high end mirrorless. Then is that grip going to be $700. The pricing is weird for a somewhat lower end "prosumer" camera. Everything is just so expensive in relation to the body's price. At this point I have to say again who is this marketed for because you definitely have to have a lot of money to go native RF everything and save a lot more if you just got a grey market or import 5dmkiv with comparative lenses.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
It won’t be long until Vella et. al. announce their grips... I chose to wait for them and use “Canon” grip money on glass.
How do you know? sometimes a tech refresh also hinders 3rd parties with new software and just a new physical design that is hard to reverse engineer. If you dont know but as of new there are no 3rd party c300 mk ii batteries. SO people are forced to buy overpriced canon ones for like 250-500 dollars. Cha-ching.....

Upvote 0
Good luck with the A7R. If I were shopping for a "cheaper" used Sony FF, I would have gone for an R2, as they seem to be quite plentiful; they seem to be close to the USD $1k mark. R2 was a pretty big improvement over R1. I passed on a used one in reasonable condition for significantly less than that (mostly because, what would I do with a Sony body? I would then need to buy Sony lenses..).

In Europe, cheapest A7R II is for like $1600 and new for $1700. So I will certainly go for new if Sony ecosystem turns to be usable for me.
Not a problem. I´m planning the jump If I´m happy with the pancake 35mm setup.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Why is a battery Grip 25% of the cost of the camera so I noticed no joystick. Weird because I think it is needed and does that mean it is gone for good or there will be another grip with one if they ever make a high end mirrorless. Then is that grip going to be $700. The pricing is weird for a somewhat lower end "prosumer" camera. Everything is just so expensive in relation to the body's price. At this point I have to say again who is this marketed for because you definitely have to have a lot of money to go native RF everything and save a lot more if you just got a grey market or import 5dmkiv with comparative lenses.
The question is for me is less the cost, and more so, how does the camera feel gripless? I will be happy with a 1 battery EOS R, and I don't do a lot of portrait orientation shots. However, I do want the camera to feel good in my hand; on a A7R3, a grip is practically a requirement for a long period of shooting.

Upvote 0
I'm sure they won't stop selling EF system from tonight. They kept 'officially selling' film cameras until some years ago too.

But I'm pretty confident their long term plans are the RF system.

I think it's too early to say - for us and them. It all depends on how well these cameras sell.

Upvote 0