ReImagine: Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 live stream announced

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
And UK: https://www.canon.co.uk/pro/events/reimagine-live-event/

1pm for us. I've organised bread and water for lunch, as I've got to get used to having no money for a while...
it's a little confusing as depending what you look at it's either 1pm or 2pm in the UK. The e-mail I have had from canon says it's 1pm but when you look at the Canon website, the landing page says 2pm. The e-mail offers the option to save it in calendar but the website allows you to sign up so I presume Canon will send further updates and links to the live stream.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
it's a little confusing as depending what you look at it's either 1pm or 2pm in the UK. The e-mail I have had from canon says it's 1pm but when you look at the Canon website, the landing page says 2pm. The e-mail offers the option to save it in calendar but the website allows you to sign up so I presume Canon will send further updates and links to the live stream.
2pm Central European Summer Time, which is 1pm BST.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
So if memory serves me correctly, this is 0900 0800 EDT? Perfect, watch the announcement and hopefully get the preorder in before heading to work lol. Assuming the preorders start when the stores open that is...

Ugh...couldn't they do this a tad later in the day?

Some of us haven't rolled out of bed yet at 7am central time.....

:p

C

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
What idiot plans to do a product launch in in middle of a working day. 2pm, really ;-(
Makes sense because we retirees are the ones who have all the money. The only problem that I see with the time—0800 EDT—is that I’m going to have to get up more than an hour earlier than usual!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I registered to hear everything, and am eagerly looking forward to preordering the R5! :D

But this post also mentioned lenses to be announced. So I wanted to mention something that many of you might flame me for: DPReview just came out with a great video, which is at
https://www.dpreview.com/videos/633...-call-for-slow-professional-full-frame-lenses

If you watch this video first (please), you might understand why I've liked my 2 Oly lenses so much for what they can do for me (OK: not for portraits with big OOF blur, and I want a bigger & better sensor, but that's why I'm going over to Canon) :) If Canon came out with a FF version of the 2 Oly lenses (which I have) with all the stunning weather proof build & optical quality, they would be the RF 24-200mm f8 L IS and RF 600mm f8 L IS. They'd be roughly the SAME SIZE & LENGTH, and close to SIMILAR WEIGHT in a FF version.

While they're at it, maybe they could extend the wide angle limit a bit to get a RF 20-200mm f8 L IS which would be ideal as a single-lens lightweight superb IQ handheld landscape & high-magnification walk-about/hiking lens (large DOF is great there, and OK: it's NOT a portrait lens with big OOF background, but you've already got lots of those).

The 600 would be ideal for handheld closeups of flowers and insects with a 0.5X max magnification which at 600mm would compress the OOF background out the wazoo so that it would become a smooth gradient between a few colors & luminances and so the background becomes a piece of art in itself, with a sharp object on top of it. It'd also be superb for long telephoto use, like birds perched on a branch. Here's a photo showing the closeup high magnification & OOF background:
P8243494_M_email.jpg

They also talk about a 3rd video lens which I don't have, but I think that it'd be good to make for FF use also.

OK, you can flame me now. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm excited! Announcements like this don't come around very often. Have been saving my pennies for an R5 for several months now. Hope to have enough by next year...

Question: The Canon USA announcement says 8AM EST (as in, Standard time). Should it read 8AM EDT (Daylight Time)?

As far as I know, Hawaii and Arizona are the only states that don't observe Daylight Savings Time, and all of Canada observes it, I think. Does this mean they made an error and meant 8AM Eastern Daylight Time, or did they leave it as Standard Time for the rest of the world that doesn't observe Daylight Savings Time? Given that other continents seem to have their own announcements, it would be odd to use Standard Time for the USA announcement.

So now I'm left wondering, here in Utah, if I should be ready at 5AM or 6AM Mountain Daylight Time. I think I'll just sleep through it, watch the recording and binge on NDA-expired reviews on YouTube. :)

Upvote 0
Really waiting to see what the R5 can do and will be tuning in to this launch for sure. I was planning to, but actually didn't upgrade any of my existing Sony bodies this year partially due to the pandemic and partially due to waiting for the mythical A7SIII to appear which is now finally a confirmed release this summer. Looks like Sony is also feeling the heat from Canon given their announcement was pushed behind the R5 launch.

I entirely underestimated Canon's upgrade cycle this year since the R5 in some ways goes far beyond its traditional company ethos and I'm going to be conflicted this year for sure which way to go given that I'm going to most likely receive my first RF mount body by the end of the month and it isn't even made by Canon.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Upvote 0