Remaining EF DSLRs on Canon USA's product list

So are you saying the older bodies not in bold are not the last of their lines?

*Has rumors of discontinued production so whatever stock is on hand may never be replenished further
**Replacement dSLR model has been released so this model may not be replenished further
***Replacement mirrorless model has been released so this model may not be replenished further

Upvote 0
That does not eliminate the possibility that a later EF model, or a later R-series equivalent, is not in the future, though.
Zero chance a replacement EF body will come out but a RF body may come out this year. But the point was if you're planning to buy that body then do so soon.

DSC market is shrinking YoY.

From 2012-2019

- mirrorless kept at ~4 million/year
- dSLRs decreased from 16.2 million to 4.5 million

From 2018-onwards

- mirrorless & dSLRs both out sold point & shoots

In 2020

- mirrorless outsoild dSLRs

With the market getting ever narrower any R&D money needs to used in what will draw in significant revenue

It isn't in EF system anymore but in RF.

It would make better business sense to continue manufacturing whatever EF body, lens or accessories are on hand while it is economic to do so and until demand shifts to RF system entirely.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Zero chance a replacement EF body will come out but a RF body may come out this year. But the point was if you're planning to buy that body then do so soon.

DSC market is shrinking YoY.

From 2012-2019

- mirrorless kept at ~4 million/year
- dSLRs decreased from 16.2 million to 4.5 million

From 2018-onwards

- mirrorless & dSLRs both out sold point & shoots

In 2020

- mirrorless outsoild dSLRs

With the market getting ever narrower any R&D money needs to used in what will draw in significant revenue

It isn't in EF system anymore but in RF.

It would make better business sense to continue manufacturing whatever EF body, lens or accessories are on hand while it is economic to do so and until demand shifts to RF system entirely.

I've been saying longer than most here that there will never be a 7D Mark III. That's been fairly clear for several years now.

But your original post makes no such comment. It just indicates that there are rumors that the 7D Mark II is no longer in production.

Upvote 0
I've been saying longer than most here that there will never be a 7D Mark III. That's been fairly clear for several years now.

But your original post makes no such comment. It just indicates that there are rumors that the 7D Mark II is no longer in production.
I only state what I am confident to assert.

The purpose of my statement is so those who were thinking of getting will do so before they are labeled as discontinued.

The 90D is a cheaper to manufacture alternative to the 7D Mark II. So those looking to buy a SLR may want to consider that as I expect it to be supported until before 2030.

RF full frame body lineup may mirror that of Sony's at 5 specializations
  1. High ISO
  2. High MP
  3. High Continuous shooting
  4. Cheap/Compact form factor
  5. General purpose
M Series may continue as is as it appears to sell very well in the USA per NPD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I only state what I am confident to assert.

The purpose of my statement is so those who were thinking of getting will do so before they are labeled as discontinued.

The 90D is a cheaper to manufacture alternative to the 7D Mark II.

RF full frame body lineup may mirror that of Sony's at 5.
  • High ISO
  • High MP
  • High Continuous shooting
  • Compact form factor/cheap
  • General purpose

The 90D AF system is not as good as the 7D Mark II. It's the same AF system that the 80D had. I've tested it, and so have many others who have said the same thing. One would expect an R7 to be much better than either the 90D or the 7D Mark II in terms of AF, just as the R5 is much better than the 5D Mark IV.

The 90D has a lower shutter life rating than the 7D Mark II (120K vs. 200K). Many 7D Mark II users put a LOT of mileage on those bodies. I put about 9,000 frames per year on all of my 5-Series bodies combined. I put about 30K frames on my 7D Mark II body per year.

Those two things alone led me to decide not to buy a 90D. I'll buy another 7D Mark II before I buy a 90D.

The 90D is a better general purpose APS-C body than the 7D Mark II. I don't use the 7D Mark II as a general purpose body, though. My current general purpose body is a 5D Mark IV.

Eventually my general purpose body will likely be an R5, if I'm still shooting enough to justify the cost in a couple of years. An R7 would not be a general purpose body for most of the folks who would buy it. It certainly would not be a general purpose body for me.

Upvote 0
The 90D AF system is not as good as the 7D Mark II. It's the same AF system that the 80D had. I've tested it, and so have many others who have said the same thing. One would expect an R7 to be much better than either the 90D or the 7D Mark II in terms of AF, just as the R5 is much better than the 5D Mark IV.

The 90D has a lower shutter life rating than the 7D Mark II (120K vs. 200K). Many 7D Mark II users put a LOT of mileage on those bodies. I put about 9,000 frames per year on all of my 5-Series bodies combined. I put about 30K frames on my 7D Mark II body per year.

Those two things alone led me to decide not to buy a 90D. I'll buy another 7D Mark II before I buy a 90D.

The 90D is a better general purpose APS-C body than the 7D Mark II. I don't use the 7D Mark II as a general purpose body, though. My current general purpose body is a 5D Mark IV.

Eventually my general purpose body will likely be an R5, if I'm still shooting enough to justify the cost in a couple of years. An R7 would not be a general purpose body for most of the folks who would buy it. It certainly would not be a general purpose body for me.
So this list is rather useful for oyu then.

Better buy another 7D2 or 5D4 before they discontinue them permanently.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
So this list is rather useful for oyu then.

Better buy another 7D2 or 5D4 before they discontinue them permanently.

There are plenty of "low mileage" used 7D Mark II bodies on the used market, many of them from reputable sellers like B&H, MBP, and Lens Authority.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0