Review: Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
I think a discussion of the 150-600 VC remains very germane to this topic. A decision between these two lenses is still the biggest one for most Canon tele shooters on a budget. The Sigma (which should be on its way to me shortly), is reportedly quite excellent optically, but is a true beast in terms of size and weight. Not many people are reporting much interest in shooting it handheld.
I routinely shoot my 300/3.8L II plus 2x III hand held, so the Sigma (S version) which is just a fraction heavier would certainly be possible. And for less than a third of the price who wouldn't give it serious consideration!? It may even focus faster without the handicap of the Extender.

Based on what I've learned from two friends who have/had the Tamron (one has returned it), the optics are very good but AF in AI Servo mode is not very good making it a disappointing lens for BIFs etc. Very good for static shots where maximum reach is needed though.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Steve Balcombe said:
I think a discussion of the 150-600 VC remains very germane to this topic. A decision between these two lenses is still the biggest one for most Canon tele shooters on a budget. The Sigma (which should be on its way to me shortly), is reportedly quite excellent optically, but is a true beast in terms of size and weight. Not many people are reporting much interest in shooting it handheld.
I routinely shoot my 300/3.8L II plus 2x III hand held, so the Sigma (S version) which is just a fraction heavier would certainly be possible. And for less than a third of the price who wouldn't give it serious consideration!? It may even focus faster without the handicap of the Extender.

Based on what I've learned from two friends who have/had the Tamron (one has returned it), the optics are very good but AF in AI Servo mode is not very good making it a disappointing lens for BIFs etc. Very good for static shots where maximum reach is needed though.
The Sigma is much longer than the 300 + 2xTC and by all accounts that makes it much more difficult to hold because of the greater torque. Just about every review complains about the difficulty of holding it.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
AlanF said:
Steve Balcombe said:
The Sigma is much longer than the 300 + 2xTC and by all accounts that makes it much more difficult to hold because of the greater torque. Just about every review complains about the difficulty of holding it.

The length is important, yes - in fact just adding the 2x to mine makes a huge difference as it shifts the weight 53 mm further away. It took me a while to find the length of the Sigma fully extended (Sigma doesn't include that in the published specs) but it turns out to be 80 mm longer than my combination which would be very noticeable.

However, it's important to understand that the comments in reviews are relative and subjective - for somebody moving up from the 70-300 USM for example, all the 150-600 lenses are 'monsters'. Compared with what I'm using now it's just a little more (though maybe the straw that breaks the camel's back). And you do get used to it - I'm *much* more comfortable with mine now than I was when I first had it two years ago.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The lens hood by all accounts is also heavy, unlike the carbon fibre one on the 300 2.8 - the published weight of the lens doesn't include that hood, which also protrudes out very far..

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/11/02/first-impressions-sigma-150-600mm-f5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-sport-lens/#.VOXVi3ZnkdI

"... my arm was shaking under the weight of the lens while I took these images. "

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/10/24/sigma-150-600mm-sport-hands-on-preview-of-sigmas-latest-massive-sigmonster

"When I said "massive super-telephoto lens," I meant it. This lens feels huge and heavy, and it's probably the largest lens I've ever had the opportunity to shoot with."

http://cameralabs.com/reviews/Sigma_150-600mm_f5-6-3_DG_OS_HSM_Sport/

"It should be clear at this point that the 150-600mm Sport is bigger and heavier than most alternative propositions. That said, it's not impractical - I squeezed it into my F-Stop Loka pack with some other gear and even managed to do some handheld street, bird and sunset shooting with it. But it's not a lens you'll want to handhold for long, and neither is it one that you'll forget about carrying around. If you're upgrading from the earlier 150-500mm you'll really notice the difference, especially if you're hiking to shoot wildlife."

Upvote 0

LukasS

Yeap
Dec 24, 2014
fragilesi said:
Can someone ban Dustin from this site please?

I was doing so well telling myself I didn't absolutely need this lens until that excellent review :D

LOL. Just call me a troll and ignore me ;)
If it would be that simple :).

Thanks Dustin, my preorder has been set up few weeks ago, since in Poland it's almost impossible to get that lens from reputable store (I saw it at maybe two sellers at the moment, but waiting for one from my trusted one) right now.

It's crazy how this lens is selling, I'm putting my aviation set (7dmkII + Tc 1.4 + this lens) for this season. Can't wait to get my hands on.

Upvote 0