Samsung Leaving the Camera Business?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
According to <a href="https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=ko&sl=ko&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newstomato.com%2FReadNews.aspx%3Fno%3D585549">Korean web site NewsTomato</a>, an industry insider is saying Samsung is getting out of the camera business. The NX division within Samsung has lost money every year since its inception.</p>
<p>All marketing activity from Samsung for cameras has pretty much ended and they haven’t announced anything since the NX500.</p>
<p>I’d be lying if I said I was shocked if this turns out to be true, I’ve never felt Samsung was part of the mirrorless conversation, no matter how well specced their offerings were.</p>

This would be a shame, because Samsung has been the biggest innovator in the camera industry. They have a camera that runs Android, proper touch screens, and a mirrorless camera (the NX1) that tracked motion better than the 7D Mark II (in some circumstances) and could shoot faster. They adopted H.265 before it was cool.

Get this: You can update the firmware in their cameras directly from the Internet across Wi-Fi.

Nonetheless I rarely recommended their cameras... Cramming cool features into bodies is nice, but ultimately decades of Canon lens development trumps all.

Upvote 0
TonyNorthrup said:
This would be a shame, because Samsung has been the biggest innovator in the camera industry. They have a camera that runs Android, proper touch screens, and a mirrorless camera (the NX1) that tracked motion better than the 7D Mark II (in some circumstances) and could shoot faster. They adopted H.265 before it was cool.

Get this: You can update the firmware in their cameras directly from the Internet across Wi-Fi.

Nonetheless I rarely recommended their cameras... Cramming cool features into bodies is nice, but ultimately decades of Canon lens development trumps all.
Yes. Reliability is more important than cool features. An enthusiast could get excited about Android and other amenities, but in this price range, it lacks an extensive line of lenses, flash and accessories, technical assistance readily available, etc.

There is a big difference between you who want the best camera phone, the one who wants the best camera "real". Samsung does very well for the first group, but not as well for photographers who seek reliability.

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
TonyNorthrup said:

Looks like Canon Rumors has hit the big time if Mr Tony Northrup has registered.
By the way ...
Some regular participants of CanonRumors are gone missing: :(

Marsus42
Surapon
Neuro

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
ajfotofilmagem said:
Sporgon said:
TonyNorthrup said:

Looks like Canon Rumors has hit the big time if Mr Tony Northrup has registered.
By the way ...

Marsus42
Surapon
Neuro

They are still registered, just not posting so much now.

Given how massive this site is on visitors we may well get Mr Ken Rockwell next !

Upvote 0
At least in my part of the world, Samsung cameras have practically no physical presence. On the other hand, I recently got an S6, and I am amazed at the image quality from that. It beats my high end compact camera from a few years ago, but isn't going to worry a DSLR any time soon. So Samsung exiting the dedicated camera market isn't a big deal to me, providing they continue to push the limits of phone cameras.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Sporgon said:
ajfotofilmagem said:

Marsus42
Surapon
Neuro

One can only hope that they are off on vacation somewhere, having a great time, taking bazillions of pictures, and when they return we will be treated to a series of fantastic images....

Upvote 0
For all we know that Tony guy may be any of those missing posters...

BTW he appeared on Sonny rumors also, fishing expeditions.

ajfotofilmagem said:
Sporgon said:
TonyNorthrup said:

By the way ...

Marsus42
Surapon
Neuro

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Sporgon said:
ajfotofilmagem said:

Marsus42
Surapon
Neuro
One can only hope that they are off on vacation somewhere, having a great time, taking bazillions of pictures, and when they return we will be treated to a series of fantastic images....
I also miss Bornshooter, and their beautiful girls in Glasgow. :-*

Will all our friends jumped ship and went to the world Sony? ??? :p ;D

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
TonyNorthrup said:
This would be a shame, because Samsung has been the biggest innovator in the camera industry. They have a camera that runs Android, proper touch screens, and a mirrorless camera (the NX1) that tracked motion better

Putting a phone into a camera may not be as a smart idea as putting a camera into a phone.

Samsung is bleeding and burning a lot of money in several of its business areas, may be forced to shutdown some. Its phone does sell, but with so low margins it really can't make big money, while forced to burn a lot in marketing.

Upvote 0

Mitch.Conner

It was all a lie.
Nov 7, 2013
ajfotofilmagem said:
Sporgon said:
TonyNorthrup said:

By the way ...

Marsus42
Surapon
Neuro

I don't know about the others, but I think if Dilbert looks in the mirror and says "Dynamic range" three times fast, neuro will show up. ;)

I hope they're well and just taking a vacation.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
distant.star said:
Thanks. Seems an odd way to do it though.

Mt Spokane Photography said:
distant.star said:
Disappointed to see there is no way to block a poster. I thought there was.

Its part of the SMF software. Its not something programmed by CR.
There is. Go into your profile and edit your ignore list.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
After reading the Translation of the article about the Samsung camera, I came away with the feeling that it was speculation based on info from a person supposed to be a industry insider. A speculation that was proved wrong last spring, but now being rumored again? I tried a different translation of the article, but it was also difficult to understand what was really being said.

The speculation is based on cuts in spending of marketing for the cameras. Samsung's has been working to clean up their many different units and boost profits. Their phone business has relied on growth for profits, and that's not happening.

The imaging unit is certainly losing money, it will take a ton of money to design lenses, and establish a share of the marketplace. You cannot become profitable instantly, it will take years. If their financial considerations did not take this into account, and assumed a instant profit, they have experienced a rude awakening.

The problem is that Samsung's market share for mirrorless cameras is decreasing, if it were increasing, there would be some hope. Developing new sensors is expensive, and they become obsolete quickly. A large volume of production is needed to recoup startup costs for a new sensor. I suspect that is another issue, asking for money to develop the next generation of sensors is falling on deaf ears.

Upvote 0
Mitch.Conner said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
Sporgon said:
TonyNorthrup said:

By the way ...

Marsus42
Surapon
Neuro

I don't know about the others, but I think if Dilbert looks in the mirror and says "Dynamic range" three times fast, neuro will show up. ;)

Yup, I would expect them to be on holiday somewhere :)

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Stu_bert said:
Mitch.Conner said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
Sporgon said:
TonyNorthrup said:

By the way ...

Marsus42
Surapon
Neuro

Yup, I would expect them to be on holiday somewhere :)

I suspect it's more likely to be work

Either way I hope they are all well

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
>>"The camera industry insider said, "Samsung has issued a final order for the camera to factory production fell a horse." <<

hehehe! Just love the translation. Whatever it really may have meant in Korean. ;D

Other than that, Samsung is hurting and they just announced another 10.000 job cuts. Their higher-end phones just don't cut it against Apple and despite the highly capable, but APS-C only NX1 their mirrorless system (cameras, lenses, speedlites etc.) just don't cut it against Sony (and CaNikon). Looks like Samsung might be going were Nokia went ... actually I don't mind at all seeing that those Asian tigers also can't sustain their former growth forever until they reach the sky.

Upvote 0