Nov 1, 2012
Well B&H is saying they expect the next shipment from Canon early September. It really seems like the first batch to retailers was extremely limited because I know there are still people who pre ordered from B&H on the first day and still don't have a camera. I would have expected the second shipment to be sooner but I wonder if the delay was firmware related?

As I already guessed on another thread, they could have air-freighted the first batch and then ship the next one, and even though factory is working 24/7, the shipment logistics would create ~1 month gap on deliveries. That one month gap from launch to next shipment fits my theory quite well.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
So hopefully they got a whole lot more cameras on the ship lol

I wish I knew more about the factory logistics, so wouldn't have to just guess. But makes me wonder why the initial batch seemed to be fairly small. Were they still ramping up the factory, or do they intentionally keep it low so they can use set amount of production capacity even after the initial sales peak is done. If they started production ~May/June, would mean that the coming shipment is even smaller than the initial sales. If they were struggling to get the production started and air-shipped last minute builds for the release date, then the coming shipment could be considerably bigger.

Lot of complexity there, and the covid doesn't make it easier.

Upvote 0
Well B&H is saying they expect the next shipment from Canon early September. It really seems like the first batch to retailers was extremely limited because I know there are still people who pre ordered from B&H on the first day and still don't have a camera. I would have expected the second shipment to be sooner but I wonder if the delay was firmware related?
It should be easy to get a camera from this next shipment because nobody will be buying a crippled camera. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
It should be easy to get a camera from this next shipment because nobody will be buying a crippled camera. :ROFLMAO:
You mean the one that catches fire every time you turn it on? You know, I just used it a week in Alaska shooting bears and had no trouble at all---shhhhhh!!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Well this is exciting! Just got this notice about my RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM order. All I need now is my camera and I'm set to go. I didn't expect this before October:
Order Number:
Date: 07/25/2020
This is RF 100-500
Dear Scott
Your pre-order is expected to ship from our warehouse in approximately 48 - 72 hours.
As a reminder, the estimated ship date is not a guarantee of shipment. All pre-order shipment dates are approximate and subject to change without prior notice. Once the order ships, your payment will be processed and you will receive another e-mail with shipment and tracking information.
If you would like to review your pre-order, sign into Canon Account by clicking the link at the top of our website. Select Orders to review your current and previous order details. If you have any questions about your order, please visit the [[customerServiceDisplayUrl]]Customer Service section of our website or call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-385-2155.
Thank you again for shopping with Canon!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Well makes sense they prioritize shipments to their own store, and maybe trickle down smaller quantities to other stores. That way Canon can keep the profit margin to themselves.

However, he receiving one gives me hope. That means Canon has received shipment past week or so. Guessing/assuming they ship directly from the distribution center, that means the other stores could have got some quantities these days too, and should be processing them for shipment. Unless, Canon kept the whole shipment to themselves...

Upvote 0
I'm still waiting for everything. R5, grip, 28-70, extra battery, EF-adapter. Nothing has shipped yet :( Of course, none of those matter until R5 ships.
I don't know if it's better to be in your position (waiting on it all to arrive) or mine, where I have already received my RF 70-200 2.8, RF 28-70 2.0, EF Lens adapter, Battery, battery grip, memory cards and such.. and am just waiting on my R5 to arrive so I can use it all. I've got all that stuff waiting at my desk, still in boxes.. Every once in a while I'll take out a lens and zoom it or just hold it & pretend i'm using them...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I don't know if it's better to be in your position (waiting on it all to arrive) or mine, where I have already received my RF 70-200 2.8, RF 28-70 2.0, EF Lens adapter, Battery, battery grip, memory cards and such.. and am just waiting on my R5 to arrive so I can use it all. I've got all that stuff waiting at my desk, still in boxes.. Every once in a while I'll take out a lens and zoom it or just hold it & pretend i'm using them...
2020 is testing you.

I hope your R5 arrives soon

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012

That would be painful for sure, especially as there's no solid data about the r5 shipments.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020

I'm speculating but I think they wouldn't likely delay and hold up already challenging distribution for something that is a simple customer update (firmware).

I spoke with BH on an exchange of my R5 due to some bad sensor pixels today (it is otherwise an amazing camera I am totally happy with). They stated they only get around 200 cameras at a time so far- they did no say how many shipments they get, how often, or if future size will grow, and letters people are posting around here suggest they don't have any of that info.

I have a feeling BH must have several hundred or maybe even up to a couple thousand orders stacked up as they are so well known and this camera was so long awaited. I may just send to Canon for repair as it will be much faster.

Last edited:
Upvote 0