SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Dang I actually have the RF24-105 f4L lens for sale brand new. It came as a kit with the R5 and don’t need it. Woulda sold it for a reasonable price

Yeah, I saw that--you got it just a few days ago right? But at least, this way I get an RP for next to nothing as a backup camera, as long as I don't mind the difference between a refurb lens and a brand new one. I don't even need to buy spare batteries for it as it takes the same battery as the M6-II and my old Rebel T6i. I got the two together for about $1350 before tax.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I saw that--you got it just a few days ago right? But at least, this way I get an RP for next to nothing as a backup camera, as long as I don't mind the difference between a refurb lens and a brand new one. I don't even need to buy spare batteries for it as it takes the same battery as the M6-II and my old Rebel T6i. I got the two together for about $1350 before tax.

yeah I just got it this past weekend. FedEx just finished delivering my R6, which will be my backup camera. Might either sell my R or hand it down to my daughter she had asked me to teach her photography. Might need to get a cheaper lens though. Not sure I want a 13 year old carrying L glass around

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
yeah I just got it this past weekend. FedEx just finished delivering my R6, which will be my backup camera. Might either sell my R or hand it down to my daughter she had asked me to teach her photography. Might need to get a cheaper lens though. Not sure I want a 13 year old carrying L glass around

Eeep!! Yeah, the only thing worse would be if it were your son. :D

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Received new email from B&H today:

“...Since that note, we have not received any R5 deliveries from Canon, but we have received an updated shipment schedule from Canon. Based on this new information, we expect to ship your order on or about September 16th.

I placed my order at 10:34 AM EDT on July 9th
I got mine in about the same time.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I caved and bought a Control Ring Mount adapter at a local big box store since they seem to be on backorder worldwide. I paid a little more than for the one on backorder, but as the saying goes "a bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush." I'll cancel the backordered one if B&H ever decide what they're going to do about my order. Now if only I had an R5 to put it on. This never-ending train wreck of a roll out by Canon continues.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I caved and bought a Control Ring Mount adapter at a local big box store since they seem to be on backorder worldwide. I paid a little more than for the one on backorder, but as the saying goes "a bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush." I'll cancel the backordered one if B&H ever decide what they're going to do about my order. Now if only I had an R5 to put it on. This never-ending train wreck of a roll out by Canon continues.

I don't understand the premise of calling the roll out a train wreck. Blaming the delays on Canon and being mad at them without all the information, during a global pandemic with known wide spread slow downs and material shortages, seems short sighted.

The pre-order demand was very high, much more than expected. BH only received about 200 R5s according to the person I spoke to when I needed to do an exchange on my shiny new R5. I woke up the release day at 5AM and placed an order within minutes of being able to, and got my R5 at the end of July. Sadly it had bright red stuck pixel defects in two spots and a few dimmer green blue ones (a total of maybe 12 stuck pixels). I could have lived with it or repaired it (most cameras have some bad pixels but these were a bit much to see in the EVF despite not showing in images). Both BH and Canon were extremely helpful and gave me every option to resolve at no cost to me. I elected to try a new R5 instead of tearing my apart at a repair center. Now I maybe waiting longer than you to get my exchange, but I can assure you the R5 is worth it. Note BH has been shorted more than some stores if internet talk is to be believed. Maybe they didn't order enough and everyone is getting a percent of their order? Everyone is still stuck in just in time production and ordering mentality and that is why we have such poor supply chain.

New products always have challenges, especially one this anticipated. Everyone I have directly talked to has said their life is very different nowdays and work is affected, and supplies are affected, so all I can politely suggest is we all need to be understanding and patient. From everything I can tell, Canon and all these stores are doing everything they can and are not simply being incompetent or blundering about, and people are just beating everyone up too impulsively.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I received the B&H email as well. In my email they indicated mine should be shipping during the last week of September. I ordered on July 15th.

Hopefully some more impatient people cancel and I get moved up to the September 16th slot :).

If this new batch is shipped with firmware version 1.1, we'll know that the delays were firmware related.

You won't know that any delay was due to firmware based upon date- logical fallacy. Why is everyone so comfortable stirring controversy and acting like they know things they don't? It's like the default non-intellectual human condition these days. Canon could have been sitting around waiting for enough batteries, or screens, or PCBs or just about any of the parts or labor that may be slowed down in this pandemic. Just having firmware update will not tell you squat; unless...do you have details on the R5 part sourcing, assembly, shipping methods we don't?

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I don't understand the premise of calling the roll out a train wreck. Blaming the delays on Canon and being mad at them without all the information, during a global pandemic with known wide spread slow downs and material shortages, seems short sighted.

The pre-order demand was very high, much more than expected. BH only received about 200 R5s according to the person I spoke to when I needed to do an exchange on my shiny new R5.
It might be short-sighted. After all, time heals all wounds, and I'm sure if I ever get one in my hands, I'll quickly forget all the miserable waiting and lead up to it. But there is no denying there has been a serious lack of communication after months and months of teasing. Trainwrecks are rarely intentional. That doesn't mean no one should be held to account. Canon chose not to be more forthcoming about delays more than a few say-nothing blurbs; they should take take their lumps. They also intentionally have kept their vendors in the dark and/or barred them from sharing information with customers. They deserve a lot of the ire they get. I don't doubt this is/will be a very successful camera. But I don't really know how anyone would deny that this roll out has been a trainwreck.

I'm sorry that you've had to send your R5 back. I can imagine how disappointing that is. I have no problem if anyone wants to be understanding and sympathetic to Canon. I generally am. I've had overwhelmingly good customer service experiences with Canon. But I find the general lack of information and communication during this time unacceptable. I think they're doing themselves a disservice and burning up a lot of goodwill by keeping their customers in the dark.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
It might be short-sighted. After all, time heals all wounds, and I'm sure if I ever get one in my hands, I'll quickly forget all the miserable waiting and lead up to it. But there is no denying there has been a serious lack of communication after months and months of teasing. Trainwrecks are rarely intentional. That doesn't mean no one should be held to account. Canon chose not to be more forthcoming about delays more than a few say-nothing blurbs; they should take take their lumps. They also intentionally have kept their vendors in the dark and/or barred them from sharing information with customers. They deserve a lot of the ire they get. I don't doubt this is/will be a very successful camera. But I don't really know how anyone would deny that this roll out has been a trainwreck.

I'm sorry that you've had to send your R5 back. I can imagine how disappointing that is. I have no problem if anyone wants to be understanding and sympathetic to Canon. I generally am. I've had overwhelmingly good customer service experiences with Canon. But I find the general lack of information and communication during this time unacceptable. I think they're doing themselves a disservice and burning up a lot of goodwill by keeping their customers in the dark.
Canon is better off staying silent, anything they say will be twisted to suit whatever narrative the negative people are pushing atm.

I wrote a bunch about the supply chain impact in my Company (MSI/Avigilon) and how Canon is at the mercy of other component fenders etc... But I do not think you really care about that... So I deleted it and I will just agree with you.

Yep the R5 and R6 releases are train wrecks.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Canon is better off staying silent, anything they say will be twisted to suit whatever narrative the negative people are pushing atm.

I wrote a bunch about the supply chain impact in my Company (MSI/Avigilon) and how Canon is at the mercy of other component fenders etc... But I do not think you really care about that... So I deleted it and I will just agree with you.

Yep the R5 and R6 releases are train wrecks.
You may be right. And really, it's Canon's call as to how much or how little they divulge. As a consumer not getting a straight answer, it's our prerogative whether we find that acceptable or not. Maybe they've made the better call. But in my opinion, that doesn't absolve them of backlash. If you're content with the amount of explanation they've given, I have no problem with that. You seem to be privy to a bit more information regarding the backlog than most lay consumers are. I think that goes a long way in keeping you content while waiting (if you're waiting). I think Canon could do a much better job communicating with their vendors and customers.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Actually, I do care very much about that. I appreciate some of the insight other industry insiders have added to this forum. And it actually underscores my point: more information, not less. I would be very interested in what you wrote about the supply chain impact.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020

That is a fair point, I guess the words train wreck sounded pretty harsh but then, bad communication is bad communication. You are absolutely right that the communication could be better.

When I spoke with Canon about my sensor, at first they quoted typical times, and then kind of took a step back and said there may be slow downs and they needed to see the camera first- odd when the phone rep was sure exactly what the issue was and that it was a sensor swap. I did not press them on what slow downs meant or if they already had repair parts, etc. but I got the feeling even they were not 100% sure of what the picture is and were just doing their best. So I opted to wait for a new camera exchange since it might be just as long to get the repair back, and a sensor replacement is a major rebuild. Sometimes having a great tech rebuild something is better than factory quality control, and sometimes it is worse, but I didn't feel like playing the lottery, especially as some folks say that certain repair centers are a lot better than others.

I just wonder if Canon are getting the same uncertainty from their suppliers, and if so, what could they say that isn't a risk? We hope to have that last thing we need and ship ASAP? We don't know the date, but it is ASAP? I am not sure that will satisfy people more than silence, but maybe it would?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mo Steve

EOS R
Jul 30, 2020
You won't know that any delay was due to firmware based upon date- logical fallacy. Why is everyone so comfortable stirring controversy and acting like they know things they don't? It's like the default non-intellectual human condition these days. Canon could have been sitting around waiting for enough batteries, or screens, or PCBs or just about any of the parts or labor that may be slowed down in this pandemic. Just having firmware update will not tell you squat; unless...do you have details on the R5 part sourcing, assembly, shipping methods we don't?

Relax sir. It's a forum, I'm allowed to speculate. I don't appreciate the cheap shots either ("non-intellectual human condition"). Wise guy.

• Haha
Upvote 0