Show your Bird Portraits

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
We had a great trip to Florida January a year ago, renting a car and doing a circular tour of the birding areas. I’d do it again at the drop of a hat post Covid or vaccination.
If you're willing, share the names of the Florida birding sites that you particularly enjoyed visiting. Like I said I'm making up for lost time.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If you're willing, share the names of the Florida birding sites that you particularly enjoyed visiting. Like I said I'm making up for lost time.
Thanks!
Flew into Orlando and took this route over a fortnight staying in an amusing set of motels etc.
Titusville
Merritt Island National Wildlife
Blackpoint Wildlife Drive, Playalinda beach
Cape Kennedy
Boynton Beach Area
Loxahatchee NWR,
Wakodahachee Wetlands
-
Green Cay Nature Center & Wetlands
Everglades NP

John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park
Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary
Treasure Island
Honeymoon Island State Recreation Area

A 5DSR, 5DIV, and two 100-400mm II + TCs for my wife and me were good enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Flew into Orlando and took this route over a fortnight staying in an amusing set of motels etc.
Titusville
Cape Kennedy
Boynton Beach Area
Loxahatchee NWR,
Wakodahachee Wetlands
-
Everglades NP

Treasure Island

All good places and I know them all well.

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Titusville
Cape Kennedy
Boynton Beach Area
Loxahatchee NWR,
Wakodahachee Wetlands
-
Everglades NP

Treasure Island

Thanks for the list!

Clearly, it's time for me to retire from my full-time pursuits and start enjoying more of the beauty Florida has to offer.

Upvote 0
Thanks!

Circle B Bar Reserve in Lakeland, Fl is very good in the fall through late spring. Unfortunately, They close roughly half of the park in the summer
for alligator mating season.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Here are few photos of "mine" chick White Tern (I posted few photos of it few weeks ago). I wouldn't post them (windy conditions and not much of light) if it wasn't special event: we are expecting a hurricane 1 (it was 4 few days ago!) to go over the island (or very, very close!) tomorrow evening. I'm not sure this buddy will survive the winds... My goal is to watch it till the dark tomorrow, if it falls I have to take it (I already grab a pound of frozen anchovies that should be OK for ~24-48h). The worst I see is that it's already challenging it's wings - the swimming pool is very close and if it lands there I hardly can help in time... On other hand if it lands on the ground the wings are ensuring soft landing...
If I can take it after (almost sure fall - Pandanus is a soft tree, not offering really stable support - especially in hurricane!!!) I will post photos!

DSC_0272_DxO.jpgDSC_0299_DxO.jpgDSC_0296_DxO.jpgDSC_0335_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I actually photographed a bird today ... wait, it was two! Daddy and his baby boy. And Alan it was a struggle to get an AF point on baby's eye and keep daddy in the frame. Baby has a stout beak and white eyes.

View attachment 191559

Jack
EyeAF does have its place.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I once saw a male Bullfinch in my garden, but coming back from a walk with my camera at hand, I saw a female Bullfinch on a new feeder - the first time I have ever seen a female anywhere. Then the male came along. They both returned in the evening - it's rather exciting. I am wondering whether the design of feeder makes a difference. The old one had a cage around it to keep the squirrels out, which might have inhibited the Bullfinches? The new one is squirrel proof without a cage.

DSC_5509-DxO_female_bullfinch.jpgDSC_5527-DxO_male_bullfinch.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2013
Sat in the heat this afternoon and shot some hummingbirds and compared the 5DMKIV to the 5DRS. Autofocus seemed to perform better on the MKIV and definitely had a higher rate of keepers, but the extra pixels on such a small subject helped when the 5DRS did give a good result. First two pics are 5DMKIV, last one is 5DSR. Both with 600II + 1.4XIII and fill flash at ISO800, f 5.6._I4A5774_4post.JPG_I4A5783_4post.JPG8F8A7890_4post.JPG

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Got to watch three juvenile Swainson's hawks hanging out in the backyard from my office window for a few hours. Twice a parent flew by with a snake and they all joined the chase before returning after the snack. At times they were calling continuously like they were still in the nest.

DCML5489.jpg

Eventually the sky cleared a bit and they posed together for a photo.

IMG_2289.jpg

Also got some video and audio with a shotgun mic. Nothing cinematic, the lighting was awful.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Sat in the heat this afternoon and shot some hummingbirds and compared the 5DMKIV to the 5DRS. Autofocus seemed to perform better on the MKIV and definitely had a higher rate of keepers, but the extra pixels on such a small subject helped when the 5DRS did give a good result. First two pics are 5DMKIV, last one is 5DSR. Both with 600II + 1.4XIII and fill flash at ISO800, f 5.6.

Beautiful series, Vern. I really like the first shot.

Upvote 0