Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his photos. John 15:13 (KIng James version). I'm even older and less stable than you!
I was thinking he had a "friends". Didn't know he made a "photos";).
Here is my version of what you are saying: "John 15:13 (King James version in Alan F. interpretation)".

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
And the last for now, from quite a distance - a pair of Eurasian spoonbills
Unfortunately it was not possible to get lower, closer to the water surface; to capture their reflection in the wet sand and pools better...
View attachment 199245
R5 with 100-400L IS II at 400mm, 1/1600s f/6.3 ISO250
W.
If you can close the distance it will give you more opportunities to play with the other factors! You have a lot of disturbed air between the lens and the object (not only for this photo)! Don't take me wrong - it's just very friendly remark!
Well, I know by experience that it's not easy but hey! - see what an advise Alan send to me above :LOL: (I'm not prepared for this - yet!). Getting wet is better than getting... whatever, I don't want to say it:)!
Whatever - I'm really happy you started posting in this topic again! As I recall you was the very first person to respond to my very first posting in Canon rumors!

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
I will for sure , is there a thread for birds in a wider setting ? I mostly avoid cropping tight for portraits.
Hi Chig.
Nice shots.
I didn’t see an answer to your question. As far as I know there isn’t a separate thread, but there are shots from really wide to proper head shot portraits here, so I’d say go ahead, post them how you like them!

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
If you can close the distance it will give you more opportunities to play with the other factors! You have a lot of disturbed air between the lens and the object (not only for this photo)! Don't take me wrong - it's just very friendly remark!
Well, I know by experience that it's not easy but hey! - see what an advise Alan send to me above :LOL: (I'm not prepared for this - yet!). Getting wet is better than getting... whatever, I don't want to say it:)!
Whatever - I'm really happy you started posting in this topic again! As I recall you was the very first person to respond to my very first posting in Canon rumors!
Hi ISv, you're completely right - but I was too chicken to cross a barbed wire and walk on quick sand to get close enough :eek:... W.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Hi Chig.
Nice shots.
I didn’t see an answer to your question. As far as I know there isn’t a separate thread, but there are shots from really wide to proper head shot portraits here, so I’d say go ahead, post them how you like them!

Cheers, Graham.
Thanks Graham

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
EDBB2D52-C0F6-45C6-91B8-BFFBF647D475.jpeg
Here's a photo of Jarli the Australasian Barn Owl I took at the Wingspan Trust in Rotorua , New Zealand
This place rescues and releases birds of prey back into the wild and is well worth a visit if you ever come to New Zealand https://www.wingspan.co.nz/
They have a flying display most days where they exercise the birds using falconry techniques to get them fit to release back into the wild.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
FE6648E6-037E-4718-8E24-4CB3ED6797AC.jpeg
Here's a male Kea I shot at Paradise Valley Springs wildlife park in Rotorua , New Zealand which is another great place to visit. https://www.paradisev.co.nz/
Keas are the only alpine parrot in the world living in the high country of our South Island and are one of the most intelligent birds in the world possibly because of the extreme environment they have to cope with above the snowline.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0