SIGMA to make a major RF mount announcement in the near future [CR1]

dominic_siu

R5, 1435, 2870, 100500, 28, 100 Macro , 135 (RF)
Aug 31, 2018
Is Canon now open like Sony to give Sigma what they need with proper communication and software so that the Sigma can have equally good AF? If not I wont buy Sigma glass, no matter how good or cheaper it is. Thats almost just me though, and I wont likley buy more than a 24-105, tele like 100-400 or 70-200, a wide angle and maybe a fast prime. All for video. But yes, competition is always great.
RF Mount protocol is not open to third party companies means Sigma need to do reverse engineering in order to produce RF Mount lenses, I guess it would be just simply convert the EF Mount to RF Mount lenses by changing the lens barrel.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
RF Mount protocol is not open to third party companies means Sigma need to do reverse engineering in order to produce RF Mount lenses, I guess it would be just simply convert the EF Mount to RF Mount lenses by changing the lens barrel.
If Sigma only changed an existing EF lens of their design to RF by adding an extension to it, then I would have no interest in buying it. If they developed a new EF design into an RF lens (that didn't already exist as an EF lens) with a similar long extension, I still wouldn't buy it. If they just want to pass off a newly designed EF design as an RF lens, they might as well just sell it as a new EF lens so the EF people could buy it and let anyone use the EF-to-RF adapter for those putting it on a RF body.

Now I do acknowledge that others might buy a EF design with built in extension, but why would Sigma go to that trouble when they can just transfer their L-mount design straight over to RF? Then it's an updated design for 20mm flange and a wider mount with all the benefits. And they are the kings of pumping out new lens designs and selling them in all the mount versions, so why wouldn't they just pump them out as L-mount optical designs for L-mount/Canon/Nikon and continue the more restricted FF E mount designs for Sony?

Upvote 0
Sigma prime lenses are VERY good. I’ve enjoyed having them. Sigma zooms, however, are not on the level of Canon zooms by a long shot. The long end of the focal length’s sharpness is not acceptable in my opinion. Also, I realize the price point is fantastic for what we’re getting, I wouldn’t mind paying a tad more if that’s what it takes to make them lighter.

Their newest 70-200mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports is basically on par with the Canon version.

Upvote 0
The one lens I want most of all is a compact 50/1.4 with modern AF performance. It's not the cost, I simply have no interest in a behemoth like any of the recent fast 50s (Otus /Art/ RF50f1.2) as most of my photography is travel and hiking and the size and weight are prohibitive.
My old Sigma 50 f1.4 EX was my absolute favourite lens, but sadly one of the elements has become badly decentered and it's now unusable. I would buy an RF mount replacement in a heartbeat even with no optical improvements.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
Sigma lenses have limited appeal i prefer tamron for my third party, i sold the old 400 and the fisheye ex, they were fine but compatibility and quality often went against sigma and their appeal seems to be pixel peepers and non shooters who never encounter real world use issues, in 4 years there will be a glut of parts lenses

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Though I must say the 50mm 1,4 Art is my favorite lense so far and one of the best 50mm lenses at the market =) (unless the super new 50mm rf)

My 50 Art lived on my 5D4 as my walk-around-go-everywhere combo until I picked up my M6II + 32mm f/1.4.

I've had my share of global vision lenses and only the 35 Art (which I bought on launch) had what I considered erratic auto focus; my 50, 135, 150-600 have all been great (and the 150-600 IQ has been nothing short of fantastic especially considering the price and zoom range).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
If not I wont buy Sigma glass, no matter how good or cheaper it is. ... But yes, competition is always great.

So do you support competition or not?

Rewarding Canon for being dickish and refusing to license their lens communications protocols undermines competition. They'll never change unless people step up and buy Sigma.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Yep, then it is what I thought.
The EF-adapter works perfectly already, so it would be pointless to do, these will be mirrorless lenses with fly-by-wire electronic manual focus.

The real question is, are these going to be what they offer in other mounts or will they use the benefits of the diameter of the RF-mount. Maybe they will do some minor optimisations for the cover glass of the Canon sensors, but not more.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway

Rewarding Canon for being dickish and refusing to license their lens communications protocols undermines competition. They'll never change unless people step up and buy Sigma.

As said, competition is great. But for me, I'm going to go with the best option. I get what you mean, but I am not going to buy a Sigma just to say that they need to open up their protocols. I'm using my camera professionally for video where I need the best AF as possible. " step up and buy Sigma" is something you could do as a hobby, but not for paid work. Their paying to get the best quality, not your personal opinion about this technical and business topic. It's not life and death or something important in that way, so I will go for the best option.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
The EF-adapter works perfectly already, so it would be pointless to do, these will be mirrorless lenses with fly-by-wire electronic manual focus.

The real question is, are these going to be what they offer in other mounts or will they use the benefits of the diameter of the RF-mount. Maybe they will do some minor optimisations for the cover glass of the Canon sensors, but not more.
What have I said that they should do you are claiming "so it would be pointless to do"?
All I confirmed for my self was that Canon dont share their protocols like Sony does (if I'm not wrong?).

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016

That would be a terrible reason to buy a Sigma product.

you do realize that Sony opened their lens mounts up because they had few lenses, and these were old, and not competitive? You realize that Sony had no traction in the DSLR market at all, no matter what they did, and that was why they went into the mirrorless market where there was no competition at all? No lenses at all there, so they had no choice but to open their mounts. They were desperate.

from their point of view, which for them is probably correct, both Canon and Nikon, with their tremendous lens lines, have no need to open their mounts. Why should they? No, not from your point of view, but from theirs. Both sell vast numbers of lenses. Third parties come to the game because of the large markets they represent. If they’re willing to make the effort, they can benefit from that. Most every lens manufacturer makes lenses for canon’s platform. They will for the R as well. They just need to see some traction. And Canon is setting a very high standard for others to follow. It won’t be easy for Sigma.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
My 50 Art lived on my 5D4 as my walk-around-go-everywhere combo until I picked up my M6II + 32mm f/1.4.

I've had my share of global vision lenses and only the 35 Art (which I bought on launch) had what I considered erratic auto focus; my 50, 135, 150-600 have all been great (and the 150-600 IQ has been nothing short of fantastic especially considering the price and zoom range).

Jeah, I also had a lot of great experiences with Sigma lenses :) the 18-35 Art is great on the 1DX II -> it can be used with the 1,3 crop 4k mode of the 1DX =)
The 24 and 50mm Art are both super sharp with great colors. The 50mm is easily the lense I like best in my collection =)

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
24, 35, & 50 Art for RF would be of interest, assuming they focus accurately.
Sigma has a couple different AF motors out there. The 35 is the worst, after they made the 24-35 they started using much better guts. AF speed and accuracy greatly improved. Caveat, this is for single shot, Servo not so much.

Upvote 0