SIGMA to start producing RF mount lenses in 2021

Hoping for a control ring. Helpful with the RP since it doesn't have a lot of direct controls.
I'm intrigued what people use the control ring for. I have a mix of EF and RF lenses now and haven't used the control ring as the R5 has 3 ring/dials + joystick already.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2012
Hasn’t Sigma always used the Canon rotation direction? I hope they simply use the Nikon way for Z and Canon way for RF...
Not on the 50-100 1.8 DC Art for Canon, at least not on the copy I had and which I had this problem with. But if that’s just the exception to the rule, then no worries for coming RF zooms then.

Upvote 0
if they can do what canon hasnt done yet an INTERNAL ZOOM RF 2.8 70-200mm or 75-250mm with better zoom rings and good IS & AF then im all in especially if it in black

I've adapted my EF 70-200 Sports to the R6 and it works flawlessly. It's the heaviest 70-200, but it's a great piece of glass.

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
I hope to see a 10mm or 12mm F/1,8 or F/2,0 autofocus RF mount lens for my Canon R5 soon for my night astro and panoramic photography.....:) Currently the only decent lens is the Samyang 12mm f/2.8 ED AS NCS which is manual focus. It is good but chromatic abberation and overall image quality for example is maybe (?) not as good as the Laowa Venus Optics 12mm f/2.8 Zero Distortion.... Ahyhow, a hope Sigma will come out soon with a brighter and possibly AF fisheye lens for RF mount:)

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Hopefully with the reduced RF/Z mount flange distances, they can reduce coma in the corners wide open.

The EF Arts generally have low coma ( or none at all in the case of the 40mm ) and certainly are vastly better than most of their Canon equivalents.

But a shorter flange distance makes correction more difficult since the lightpath angles are more acute.

Upvote 0
If they can release smaller and lighter lens, with quality on par with canon, that will be good.

---

SIGMA needs to get on the bandwagon of high end FAST optical grade plastic lenses where optical grade Acrylic Lenses are NOW the wave of the future!

Ultra high refractive index for more light gathering power equals FASTER lenses at a lighter weight at a much cheaper price PLUS the actual image quality is physically better due to the INHERENT SHARPNESS of the optical grade Acrylic. That 50mm f/1.2 is now a 50mm f/1.0 at ZEISS OTUS levels of sharpness, with almost NO coma or chromatic aberrations!

A few companies are coming out with those types of lenses next year 2021 so SIGMA has LITTLE TIME to start competing in that arena! Why would I pay $2299 USD for a 50mm f/1.2?

See example:

when I can get a lighter lens that's faster (i.e. f/1.0!), is BRIGHTER (i.e. a refractive index of 1.523 for Acrylic vs fluorite glass at 1.433), is much lighter weight, sharper with less coma and chromatic aberration AND its cheaper at $999 USD!

SIGMA and Canon are playing with fire here!

They NEED to innovate or the newcomers will EAT THEIR LENSES FOR LUNCH!

V

Upvote 0
"SIGMA and Canon are playing with fire here!
They NEED to innovate or the newcomers will EAT THEIR LENSES FOR LUNCH!"

Of course...
We'll get a free plastic lens with every pack of Kellogs cornflakes !;)

---

See this link for a 50 mm to 800mm Sports/Action/Wildlife super-zoom and 50 mm f/1.0 which I got to test two weeks ago in the wild:

With a built-in NF filter and fantastic polarizing filter for $1899 USD that certainly got my interest!

Their techs indicated they are sending samples to DP-Review in both Seattle and Calgary for a full review!

I've seen the lab and real-world tests and since I use Zeiss Otus lenses quite a lot, I am saying these Acrylic lenses are 99% of Zeiss Sharpness and Image Quality at half the price! (Note: I did think the Zeiss Otus are STILL just a tiny bit better in the corners for sharpness!) In terms of Bang-for-the-Buck, these new Acrylic lenses will give fluorite glass (i.e. Canon L-series) a SERIOUS RUN for the money!

Acrylic is the WAY OF THE FUTURE for new light-weight high performance prime and zoom lenses! (well....until we can finally grow sheets of DIAMOND at a cheap enough price!)

P.S. in case anyone is wondering, Zeiss Otus lenses are actually made in Japan rather than Germany and are basically OEM'ed by Cosina with the glass itself coming from Hoya Corporation in Japan. These NEW Acrylic lens are fully Designed and Made in Canada using 1995-era high-end Sports Servo-Zoom Lens templates from Fujinon where the patents have run out.

NOTE: Fujinon MAKES UTTERLY SUPERB Cinema Zoom Lenses -- The company I consult at have these TOTALLY STUNNING LENSES:

While not at the stratospheric level of the above lenses, the 1995-era lenses DO NOT HAVE those excessively complex peizo-electric floating lens elements but are still optically SUPERB designs that are PERFECT for a re-do in 2021-era Optical Grade Acrylic! So for simplicity and cost reasons, only the simplest designs were chosen for a "Classic Pro-level Fujinon Lens" re-boot! Using an Automotive Industry analogy, these lenses are going to be the equivalent of the 2021 Ford Bronco resurrection using modern tech and new materials! Classic looks and workhorse capability mated with the best creature comforts of 2021!

I think this reboot will be an incredible success due to fantastic proprietary coatings which STOPS photo-degradation and stops scratches on the physically softer/more pliable plastic lens elements themselves plus they have internal manufacturing which basically "freezes" glass creep of Acyrlic!

Sooooooo, what will SIGMA and CANON DO in response ???

V

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
I'm intrigued what people use the control ring for. I have a mix of EF and RF lenses now and haven't used the control ring as the R5 has 3 ring/dials + joystick already.
I've been using it for ISO. I probably wouldn't care about it as much if I had an R5 or R6 with more controls, but with the RP it's nice to have a more direct way of changing/setting ISO.

Upvote 0