So what is that fifth unreleased camera that Canon has registered?

It could be a replacement for the RP, a few upgraded specs but no viewfinder to cut costs and to give people an option who don't want the viewfinder.

But since even the R100 has a viewfinder maybe it will just be an upgraded RP. If this has the same focus system and battery as the R8 I could be interested, but since it's a cheaper model there's a good chance it won't have either of those things.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Canon has very little market share in India AFAIK and see for reasons unclear to me. To me it seems that they are not even interested in increasing their market share which is dominated by Nikon and lately, Sony! It is sad for me ! There is a huge market for $ 1000- 2500 range cameras and lenses. Every year when I go to India on my annual trip to home- I carry quite a few Canon gears ordered by my friends and families ( marketed by me). Prices are higher too compared to US !

Yeah, where I am, the body only price of a full frame R8 RF camera is 3 x the average monthly salary.

Hard to convince anyone that it's something they should get.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
It could be a replacement for the RP, a few upgraded specs but no viewfinder to cut costs and to give people an option who don't want the viewfinder.

But since even the R100 has a viewfinder maybe it will just be an upgraded RP. If this has the same focus system and battery as the R8 I could be interested, but since it's a cheaper model there's a good chance it won't have either of those things.

I rather have a smaller R8 without viewfinder for a little less money than a dumbed down camera with old sensor, cropped 4K and cheap EVF

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Maybe it's the new retro-looking camera there have been rumors about.
It is doubtful that would be the case. Retro camera would be a big deal for Canon and there is bound to be "leaks" and drips of it happening if nearing release

I imagine more likely consumer oriented no EVF apsc or smaller along the lines of a M form factor with small/no grip and comes in a multitude of colors. Could also be a g7x iii successor. Canon has not addressed the casual trendy crowd and that would fill it.

Upvote 0
I'll just add that Canon's aps-c line, back in the day, used to add new SKUs to the line-up unnecessarily. We later found out that this was partly due to retail distribution deals they had with big box stores, etc. Just because the crop line seems fleshed out doesn't mean they won't release a couple overlapping models with weird, convention-breaking model names (77D?!)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
I rather have a smaller R8 without viewfinder for a little less money than a dumbed down camera with old sensor, cropped 4K and cheap EVF

But they need to stop making bodies tied to that Lp-E17 battery and there can't be any over heating and it muct have better AF than the R6ii which focuses on everything BUT what I want to focus on. And be under $1000.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
But they need to stop making bodies tied to that Lp-E17 battery and there can't be any over heating and it muct have better AF than the R6ii which focuses on everything BUT what I want to focus on. And be under $1000.
Since they can charge over USB-C and I have a lot of spares, I don't mind the LP-E17, it also keeps the bodies nice and slim.

Upvote 0
I wish there is an eos R mark 2. The size of the original R was just perfect and I miss the top LCD. The R8 is just too small.
Canon should make something interesting for enthusiasts. It doesn’t have to be 40 fps, they can experiment with the user interface a bit (I understand that the R5/R6 needs to be “old school compatible”). But the R8 is just too low level.
10 fps, 20-30 Mpix, IBIS, top LCD, combined rear wheel and arrows like on the 90D, joystick. I’m fine with one slot. Maybe some internal memory instead of the second one. I liked the Touch Bar but I think that’s dead because people didn’t know how to use it and they hated it instead.
I think you'll find that's called an R5 or soon to be an R5II.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Yeah, where I am, the body only price of a full frame R8 RF camera is 3 x the average monthly salary.

Hard to convince anyone that it's something they should get.
However, the R8 is a still a semi pro level camera. It's an astonishing camera for it's price point. It's certainly not in the R / Rebel level of build.

Upvote 0
I do wonder if there's a R1, R5II, R6II, R7II and an R8II coming....with 4 cameras revised as mkII's (or R6iii) with the same resolution but with a new super fast readout sensor across the Rx range. So no more any Rolling shutter issues. We'll prelly get all the new AF updates from the R6II across the board (the R5 desperately needs this) and new AF features from the new R1. A few modernised and improved UI / menu features (it'll be great to have a raw option in the focus stack feature). It'll be great if the new R5/6 & 7 all share the same UI and removable grip too.

Upvote 0