Teardown: Lensrentals.com checks out what’s inside the Canon EOS R

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Roger and Aaron at Lensrentals.com have continued their series of taking apart new cameras and lenses, this time doing a teardown of the brand new Canon EOS R.
From Lensrentals.com
It was rather a boring disassembly, really, about what we should expect for Canon doing a Canon 6D Mark II quality mirrorless camera. It’s neatly laid out and nicely engineered inside. One thing that struck me is that it’s not very crowded inside there, or as we like to say ‘they left a lot of air inside’……
Do I think future Rs are going to have IBIS? No, I don’t. Canon has been very clear that they think lens stabilization is superior. The space is probably just a matter of ergonomics and perhaps heat diffusion. But there’s certainly room for it. Read the full article
You can...

Continue reading...

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
With "a lot of air inside" I wonder if that bodes well for a dual-DIGIC setup for the "professional" model in terms of heat dissipation...
Perhaps space for structure that can conduct heat to the magnesium frame so that is can be dissipated into the external environment. Ultimately, that is where the generated heat has to go.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Liked the last para: "Tomorrow (tomorrow being a couple of years) I will absolutely be shooting a mirrorless camera, but I have no idea yet which one. Of course, those of you who know me very well know I won’t be able to stand it, and I’ll ignore my own advice and get one of these in a month or two; and almost certainly decide it was the wrong one a month or two after that"

Could be describing me or anyone of us I guess ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
With "a lot of air inside" I wonder if that bodes well for a dual-DIGIC setup for the "professional" model in terms of heat dissipation...
Room for a Fan;)

If there is going to be a 50mp DPAF sensor, more power will be needed, and be it dual Digics or a higher powered Digic, it will need to dissipate more heat. Batteries also generate their own heat too. If you charge it in camera, it will warm up the entire camera, by itself, its not significant at room temperatures, but when its 100+ degrees outdoors, all those heat sources become significant. Canon has been traditionally very conservative, and does not push components to their ultimate capacity which is why we see relatively few overheat issues, but they do happen.

Upvote 0

herion

Seven stars, seven stones and one white tree
Jul 30, 2018
There will be a new weather-sealed opening in the "professional" version - this will allow you to:

a) attach different sized heat sinks to dissipate the heat generated by multiple DIGICs or higher powered DIGICs *OR*
b) allow you to attach a "Nitro cooler" - a small(ish) compressed cylinder of nitrogen to regularly "puff" and cool off the camera interior

:p:p:p:p

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
There will be a new weather-sealed opening in the "professional" version - this will allow you to:

a) attach different sized heat sinks to dissipate the heat generated by multiple DIGICs or higher powered DIGICs *OR*
b) allow you to attach a "Nitro cooler" - a small(ish) compressed cylinder of nitrogen to regularly "puff" and cool off the camera interior
c) allow it to hold a JUUL or other cool person e-cigarette.

Upvote 0
Perhaps space for structure that can conduct heat to the magnesium frame so that is can be dissipated into the external environment. Ultimately, that is where the generated heat has to go.
Possibly another model but tailored towards video - full 4K 60 fps, the Eos R looks excellent and those EOS R lenses look excellent.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
From Canon Canada: "Comfortable and solid in the hand, the EOS R camerafeatures a rigid yet lightweight magnesium alloy chassis that enhances body durability while shielding the camera from electromagnetic radiation and heat. It also has a tempered front panel for internal rigidity."

http://www.canon.ca/en/Features/EOS-R/EOS-R-Camera

camera_product10.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
From Canon Canada: "Comfortable and solid in the hand, the EOS R camerafeatures a rigid yet lightweight magnesium alloy chassis that enhances body durability while shielding the camera from electromagnetic radiation and heat. It also has a tempered front panel for internal rigidity."

From the Merriam-Webster 11th Collegiate Dictionary:
"Chassis: the supporting frame of a structure (as an automobile or television)"
I don't think Roger is confusing plastic with metal. Somewhere in the plastic shell are magnesium alloy ribs or beams that add strength. That would be enough for the marketing department to make hay.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
From the Merriam-Webster 11th Collegiate Dictionary:
"Chassis: the supporting frame of a structure (as an automobile or television)"
I don't think Roger is confusing plastic with metal. Somewhere in the plastic shell are magnesium alloy ribs or beams that add strength. That would be enough for the marketing department to make hay.
While I agree with your assessment of Roger's abilities, I'm afraid that I would call foul on Canon. If you click on the link I provided, at the bottom of the page is the photo I attached and right beside it in bold letters is captioned "Magnesium Alloy Body". Below that heading is the statement I quoted. Canon's caption/statement/photos are at best insincere and misleading.

Upvote 0
It looks like the body is a combination of both magnesium alloy and over-moulded glass-filled polycarbonate.

If you look closely at the alloy photo, just under the EOS logo there are two steps (it is the same around the body, but this is a good reference point without creating images). In the stripdown photo from Roger, it looks like the beige material fills the lower step (this is glass filled polycarbonate). In other words, they may have over-mould the polycarbonate over the alloy body. This will provide strength and impact resistance but with minimal additional weight the same wall thickness in the alloy would have.
Roger also noted the polycarbonate had a "slightly rough surface" - that's the glass fibre.

Therefore, both Canon and Roger are correct. I'd be very surprised if Canon replaced the front plate entirely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Roger Cicala Mod Goran Škrlec2 days ago
It is magnesium alloy, as they say, but it's got quite a different feel to it.
How do you know? Did you do a tear-down too? Work for Canon? The rest of us are speculating.

Rodger did a fantastic tear-down. I think we can move on from what the shell is made of at this point, unless someone has definite Insider knowledge, or has cut a cross section of the shell for us.

Upvote 0