Teardown: The Canon EOS R5 gets an autopsy

At least Sigma show that high quality 4K 30p RAW would not overheat in smaller form-factor. And you don't use VF much while video recording. And about 24MP of Fp, R6's overheating situation is even worse than R5 with 20MP.
I don't know whether with adding passive grill, if design as good as Sigma, could R5 do 8K or 4k120p non-overheating, but 4K HQ non-overheating would be within reach. And even 8K or 4K120p would have longer recording time and much lower cooldown time.
Well again, to be fair, you’re not sure whether such a design could fit in an r5 without some other compromise. The truth is, we don’t know. Maybe their design is better than Canon for some use cases. Maybe it will influence a future Canon design. People with their wallets will ultimately decide...

Sigma has also delayed their FF foveon camera - again, we don’t know other than it didn’t meet their criteria. Maybe Canon thought theirs achieved their criteria. Purchasers must decide if it meets theirs.

Oh and re VF. Hmmm. For actual videographers, sure. But one might add they are likely to use an external monitor. For a hybrid camera with IBIS I wonder if the EVF might be easier to use than the rear screen. I haven’t tried yet, but I think maybe just like I use the evf for stills I might use it for video....

Upvote 0
Calm down.
First thing first, R5/R6 is very good still camera, nobody argue about that so far.
Second, "overheating" does not show any impact in taking stills, therefore is non-issue when taking photos.

And "overheating" is what impact/hinder/restrict video recording. Therefore, the context of the discussion is about video recording. And I don't see much use case of EVF in video recording, I stated about that in my previous post : "you don't use VF MUCH while video recording". There might be some use case but not the majority. And that's in video recording context.
And about assumptions, we discuss possibility based on common knowledge, based on trusted reviewer, based on available product. It's not 100% precise but it's creditable.
For example, Gerald Undone show that R5/R6 need a 2 hours resting, completely turn off to fully recovered and get the full video recording advertised. For reference, my boiling kettle (1kW) don't need 2 hours to cooldown from 100 Celsius to drop to room temp. My kettle does not have any special mechanism to cool down. I might do a heat up to 60-70 and test later to much sure how long it needs to 30 (also blocking convaction) if you want something precise. Or you could do that yourself.
That's a creditable assumption based on trusted source (Gerald Undone) and your own common knowledge (boiling water).
Not so arm chair engineer, I guess.

And of course, if you only shoot STILL, don't care about video limitation then move on, don't pay attention to my post. We have no common interest in discussion.
A kettle has a completely different set of design criteria. I’m not sure that’s a good comparison....

It is a discussion forum, but can I ask, are you even a prospective buyer? If no, then what is the basis for your interest?

CFE cards, depending on their manufacturers seem to be designed for max 70-90 degrees operations, thus there is a warning that when used quite a bit, don’t touch it, let it cool down. A lot quicker btw, than your kettle....

Maybe the DPR testing thread will identify what is happening but I still doubt it will change much about the r5 - but it is interesting reading.

Upvote 0
It's a party trick but looks awesome on the A7R4. I like to do night time extended exposures from time to time and could make good use of it
I’ve not read much about it, apols, but how does it cope with moving subject, especially with longer exposures?

Sorry, off topic I know....

Upvote 0
A kettle has a completely different set of design criteria. I’m not sure that’s a good comparison....

It is a discussion forum, but can I ask, are you even a prospective buyer? If no, then what is the basis for your interest?

CFE cards, depending on their manufacturers seem to be designed for max 70-90 degrees operations, thus there is a warning that when used quite a bit, don’t touch it, let it cool down. A lot quicker btw, than your kettle....

Maybe the DPR testing thread will identify what is happening but I still doubt it will change much about the r5 - but it is interesting reading.
A kettle is of course totally a different design, it's just a block of mass not optimizing to dissipate heat at all, or even to keep heat.
If something have heat to dissipate but disspate heat slower than a kettle then it's either design wrongly or intentionally.
That's the idea of the comparision.
And please, when you turn off a camera, CFE not work or should not work. When turn off camera consume very very very low power that you could consider it does not generate heat. If it does, something is wrong here. The comparision with the kettle is just that two heated things got cool down. The R5/R6 need 2 hours, the kettle you could see for yourself. Then you got the idea (in ballpark) how good the thermal design of those cameras is.
And just try to record video while looking thru EVF, you will understand why.

Upvote 0
I’ve not read much about it, apols, but how does it cope with moving subject, especially with longer exposures?

Sorry, off topic I know....
It doesent, its for static subjects like architecture. And its useless for anything that even remotely moves. The feature would be highly desirable for the contemplating landscape photographer (as long as the sky and foliage arent moving either). Otherwise, it has very limited use cases, the effect can be simulated with a non shifting camera with multiple slightly offset shots and some photoshop trickery.

I'm still getting the R5 for stills when my number in line is called, then I can continue selling off my EF gear.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It doesent, its for static subjects like architecture. And its useless for anything that even remotely moves. The feature would be highly desirable for the contemplating landscape photographer (as long as the sky and foliage arent moving either). Otherwise, it has very limited use cases, the effect can be simulated with a non shifting camera with multiple slightly offset shots and some photoshop trickery.

I'm still getting the R5 for stills when my number in line is called, then I can continue selling off my EF gear.
Gotcha, thanks. It was the comment “ night time extended exposures” which made me think they had managed to do something clever to overcome movement. My bad.

I remember Uwe Steinmueller on digital outback photo site championing the high resolution shooting in bursts, never tried it, but thanks for the reminder.

Upvote 0
A kettle is of course totally a different design, it's just a block of mass not optimizing to dissipate heat at all, or even to keep heat.
If something have heat to dissipate but disspate heat slower than a kettle then it's either design wrongly or intentionally.
That's the idea of the comparision.
And please, when you turn off a camera, CFE not work or should not work. When turn off camera consume very very very low power that you could consider it does not generate heat. If it does, something is wrong here. The comparision with the kettle is just that two heated things got cool down. The R5/R6 need 2 hours, the kettle you could see for yourself. Then you got the idea (in ballpark) how good the thermal design of those cameras is.
And just try to record video while looking thru EVF, you will understand why.
Ok, now I am with you I think....

But we are led to think the R5/R6 have been designed to dissipate heat slowly - whether that is as CanonNews suggested due to an imminent EU law, whether that is because of previous experience with direct sunlight causing problems, or what, we don't know.

Your counter was that the Sigma achieves this in a smaller package without the overheat issues. It can record up to 2h (not sure if that is a battery or card limit or heat), but to UHS II (as SSD although interesting is not so relevant for comparing) it has bitrates up to 1670Mbps which is higher... It is also right on the cusp of what a UHS II can do (210MBps) - based on this link (https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/r...eme-pro-300-mbs-uhs-ii-64gb-sdxc-memory-card/)

So whether this means the larger sensor, the CFE, the PCIe chipset, the encoding in the R5 vs the Sigma, the case design or all of the "above" contribute - again, we don't truly know.

Btw, armchair refers to someone who doesnt actually do that activity. Armchair Travellers don't travel, Armchair Landscape Photographers don't actually do landscape photography, and thus an armchair engineer doesn't actually design similar solutions to a camera.

Re CFE - sorry, misled you. I meant the CFE card cools considerably quicker than your kettle when either in camera or outside.

Re 2hrs, yes, I am doing tests which do seem to confirm that. Others have found the time may be significantly less (DPR), which is interesting. Btw, a single source, even one who you consider reliable in my book does not equate to "fact". I need several different sources, we are all human...

And as you are a Z6 / D800 shooter, as I asked earlier "but can I ask, are you even a prospective buyer? If no, then what is the basis for your interest? ". It is a forum, you have as much right as anyone here, but as I wrote to Baron_Karza, "what do you hope to achieve here?"

Upvote 0

Oops, missed 1 question. Are you selling your EF bodies or lenses as well? Just curious. I will probably offload 5x series bodies & R bodies (just not in HK), but I doubt I will change many EF lenses for an RF equivalent. Not challenging your decision I hasten to add....

Upvote 0
Fine, for you it is a gimmick. Canon decided they wanted to include it. Don't buy it. Don't buy the R6 if it doesnt suit your needs. Every manufacturer is completely honest and transparent about every product they produce. Whatever company you work for, I am sure they are the same. Perfect products which has made them market leaders....

Honestly, what are you hoping to achieve here in this forum?

Have you fed back to Canon that you are dissatisfied with their new products? Constructively?

I have fed back some concerns based on my use of the R5. I will be interested in their reply. I am conducting testing of it for my use-cases. And ultimately I will decide if that makes the R5 worth it. Others, like you will do the same....

Thanks for your concern, but I don't need your help to tell me what to purchase and not to purchase.

Honestly, what are you hoping to achieve by replying directly to my posts?

Upvote 0
Oops, missed 1 question. Are you selling your EF bodies or lenses as well? Just curious. I will probably offload 5x series bodies & R bodies (just not in HK), but I doubt I will change many EF lenses for an RF equivalent. Not challenging your decision I hasten to add....
No worries, I will change everything except my 100mm F2.8L because theres no direct replacement yet and my 200mm F2.0L as it was very expensive and quite perfect. I also have a 300mm F2.8 which is seldom used now so I might as well see how well it works with an R5.

Upvote 0

visionrouge.net

Video / Photography, China & Hong Kong
Jul 16, 2020
Hong Kong
www.visionrouge.net
The infamous Andrew...
I can't post link here without getting banned.
Try "EOSHD" under google
It's actually the same Chinese guy as last time.
There are plenty of new temperature measurement that shows that Canon did a great job at keeping all temp under control.
Just a software that time the video usage to shut it down.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0