The 5D Mark III Megapixel Count? [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canon-F1 said:
one thing that always makes me laugh are people who write they will switch brands when company "XY" does not include feature "ZX" into a new product.

nobody will notice it in the end results and you immediately notice these people are more gearheads then photographer.

and really who cares if joe from utah decides to switch to nikon because he thinks he needs 36 MP to make good pictures? NOBODY! 8)

i am with neuro.... i don´t think the 36 MP for the nikon are written in stone.

Funny that people always say it's just gear heads who never shoot or do anything. I've shot national sporting events and all over the US and the world as have many others who I've seen slammed as gear head pixel peepers. Maybe some people actually have real reasons for wanting ZX.

Upvote 0
bvukich said:
dilbert said:
If 1080p requires an 8.3MP sensor, then 4K video requires a 33.2MP sensor.

1080P only requires a 2MP sensor.

Everyone saying this is forgetting that these are Bayer sensors. If you read the white paper canon released on the C300 it explains what they are doing with the 8MP sensor to deliver 1080p.

Upvote 0
R

Rank_90

Just seen this on North Light Images:

Jan 23rd We're told that Canon won't be going for a high MP FF DSLR until that 4k 'concept' camera is a reality (with a 30+MP sensor to get 'cleaner' 4k video)

We're also getting slightly more detailed suggestions for the 5D2 replacement, with several pointing to 22MP (or virtually the same as in the 5D2), and one adding 61 Focus points (41 Cross) same as 1D X, 100-25600 Basic ISO, 6 fps - Suggested date was March 7th. Sounds a bit close to the 1D X which still won't have shipped by then)... but I'm still getting MP estimates from 18 to 40. Nothing solid yet from any known sources, so extra pinches of salt to be taken ;-)

Upvote 0
P

Picsfor

Rank_90 said:
Just seen this on North Light Images:

Jan 23rd We're told that Canon won't be going for a high MP FF DSLR until that 4k 'concept' camera is a reality (with a 30+MP sensor to get 'cleaner' 4k video)

We're also getting slightly more detailed suggestions for the 5D2 replacement, with several pointing to 22MP (or virtually the same as in the 5D2), and one adding 61 Focus points (41 Cross) same as 1D X, 100-25600 Basic ISO, 6 fps - Suggested date was March 7th. Sounds a bit close to the 1D X which still won't have shipped by then)... but I'm still getting MP estimates from 18 to 40. Nothing solid yet from any known sources, so extra pinches of salt to be taken ;-)

I could go with 22mp, 6fps and 25600 working ISO. But 1DX focusing - not a hope. First off it would require that the 5D3 is equipped with 2 processors (Digic 5 & Digic 4 for AF), and this would create exactly the same issues has occured with the 5D2 and 1Ds3. Also - it would eliminate the need for a 7D!

That said, if Canon were going to merge those 2 lines, then maybe i could see it happening, but it wouldn't have a large buffer like the 1 series, deferring to the new high speed CF for data storage like the D4. Also, do not think it would have the Ethernet port or any improved video functionality.

And of course, it would be called a 5DX ;)

Upvote 0
R

Rank_90

What I'm looking for from the 5D Mrk III and the most important things for me are:

5D Mk II Focus issue resolved
Can crop without being worried about loss of quality so good MP's 22 will do me.
Decent fps more than or equal to the 7D.
The 24-70 f/2.8L II would be the kit lense.
And the price wouldnt be so high that I have to sell my Mrs kidney on ebay to pay for it.

Upvote 0
Picsfor said:
....I could go with 22mp, 6fps and 25600 working ISO. But 1DX focusing - not a hope. First off it would require that the 5D3 is equipped with 2 processors (Digic 5 & Digic 4 for AF), and this would create exactly the same issues has occured with the 5D2 and 1Ds3. Also - it would eliminate the need for a 7D!...

Is that really a problem for Canon? They could be better off selling us FF bodies, and thus have us spend multiples more in EF lenses. Whoever needs crop would get crop anyway... so unless Canon kills the 7D, partial cannibalizing to a higher end product should be good for them.

I agree with you on the AF... it won't be as good as the 1dx or even close, but it needs to be much better than the current set-up. Canon has pride.... it won't make the same mistake that got one of it's better known models a bad AF rep.

Upvote 0
I don't buy this argument that an improved 5D MkII replacement would obviate the need for the 7D. The market for the 7D should be purchasing this camera either for what it offers in terms of 'more pixels on target', or for its lower price. If potential 5D series owners are buying a 7D because they are put off by the 5D's poorer AF and slow speed, then surely Canon are losing potential profits?

If the 5D MkII replacement is to stay low(er) megapixel, Canon will need to do something to sell it over buying a second hand 5D MkII and I don't think that an extra stop or so of ISO will cut the mustard. It would make sense to me to ramp up the AF specs and continuous burst rate, as there are many other ways to 'hobble' the camera for pros. Even having the 1D X's AF system would not guarantee 1D X levels of performance, especially if the '5D MkIII' didn't have the same processing power. They could also make the buffer smaller than the 1D X (like Nikon did with the D7000), which would also put off serious sports shooters. Next, they could remove dual memory card and ethernet support, further discouraging professionals.

Professionals who make their living from their photographs are generally quite conservative, they rely on their camera behaving exactly as they expect it to in order to get their shots. If they've owned a number of 1-series cameras it is unlikely that they would easily be persuaded to 'trade down'. Whilst most of us are feeling the squeeze economically, a new camera body every four years is not exactly the largest business expense for those that truly make their living from photography.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Rank_90 said:
Can crop without being worried about loss of quality so good MP's 22 will do me.
And the price wouldnt be so high that I have to sell my Mrs kidney on ebay to pay for it.

Let's see...a FF camera with pro-level AF and 8 or more fps, more MP than the 1D X, and selling for 1/3 the price of the 1D X? And a partridge in a pear tree.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Rank_90 said:

Let's see...a FF camera with pro-level AF and 8 or more fps, more MP than the 1D X, and selling for 1/3 the price of the 1D X? And a partridge in a pear tree.

haha +1... I could see the AF improvement, whether its as good as the 50D or as good as the 7D, who knows... Cropping... nice but not a deal breaker... FPS more equal to the 7D, no shot in hell... 24-70... Well it's snowing in nevada, so I guess hell's frozen over... price... ehhh I would call your surgeon so he's on retainer just in case =)

Upvote 0

Exactly, that's not gonna happen.

I can see 5D Mk III like this:

1.) FPS: 5-6 fps max
2.) ISO: 100-25600 (even a native 12800 would work for me, expandable to 51 200)
3.) AF: at least 9 cross type points with center with higer sensitivity and ofc wider spread of them (really would prefer 7D style AF, but let's be serious, that's not gonna happen)
4.) Mpx count: Mpx of current is fine for me, no need for more
5.) Video: make it possible to shoot 1080p at 60fps

...and a useful thing would be if it wold be compatible with: WFT-E6A Wireless File Transmitter and GP-E1 GPS Receiver.

Thats my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
S

SomeGuyInNewJersey

Talk of a 5d mkiii with an AF system as good as the 7d making the 7d redundant leads me to ask the question...

Where do people see the 7d in the Canon range... Is the DSLR range to be viewed as a linear heirarchy? Or do people see the 5d and 7d on a step below the 1d series on a pyramid? Isnt the 5d mkiii being higher up the range (so to speak) meant to be better than the 7d?

I dont see the 7d being made unnessessary by a 5d with good AF. The 7d is cheaper and non full frame. Cheaper than the 5d mkiii will obviously help keep it selling and so will the extra reach given by it not being full frame. Okay so it may make people less likely to feel the need to buy a 7d to go with their 5d as the 7d but how much of a market is that?

It seems to me that people are focusing a lot of keeping Canons DSLR all in order and nicely separated in terms of features and specs but I hope Canon are paying as much attention to the competition as they do balancing their own range.

The point of Canon not wanting to damage sales of the more expensive 1dx by making the 5d mkiii in any way close to it seems a bit strange. Surely a lot more money is spent on glass than bodies? Especially amongst wildlife and sports shooters.

We speculate about what Canon and Nikon are going to do and to how they will react to announcements by each other, I am thinking mainly here of the D800 affecting the 5d Mkiii, but do you think that Canon and Nikon have a more reliable idea of what is going on in each other camp than we on the outside do?

I have decided to wait rather than buy a 5d Mkii but that could change any moment :) the more the suggestions come that the 5d mkiii will not be a huge stretch from the 5d mkii in any particular area makes me think that I'll end up taking an option that wasnt even a thought for me before... I may just wait untilt he 5d mkiii is announced and then buy a 5d mkii instead.

One thing I find a little puzzling though is that if the 5d mkiii is going to make 22mp then its going to be a completely new sensor... Okay so it may have an increased iso range and dynamic range. It seems an awful lot of cost and logistical effort to develop and manufacture 2 new sensors with only a 4mp difference between them.

And a final though...

Ive heard say on these forums how we are all like kids on Christmas Eve speculating about our presents... well the problem there is that with Christmas Eve at least you know that the goodies are coming the next day. At least Christmas has a fixed date...

Perhaps a better analogy is that we are kids in the backseat and Canon is daddy driving... "Are we there yet?" says we... "No just shut up and stop asking" says Daddy

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
traveller said:
Professionals who make their living from their photographs are generally quite conservative, they rely on their camera behaving exactly as they expect it to in order to get their shots. If they've owned a number of 1-series cameras it is unlikely that they would easily be persuaded to 'trade down'. Whilst most of us are feeling the squeeze economically, a new camera body every four years is not exactly the largest business expense for those that truly make their living from photography.

Isn't it generally accepted that this is exactly what happened with the 5D2 taking out the 1Ds3?

Upvote 0
Meh said:
traveller said:

Isn't it generally accepted that this is exactly what happened with the 5D2 taking out the 1Ds3?

I dont know if persay it was the 5d2 that took out the 1ds3... but as a professional, its all about having the right tool for the job... such as having the right lens for the shoot, right lighting... and for once, the 5d2 had something the 1ds3 didn't have... that is video... Whether it was a pet project other professionals wanted, or even a set up camera (most professionals on big shoots have a second camera (or third) just to take pictures of the set they are in with measuring tapes and other recordable info JUST INCASE something goes wrong, they can quickly reset up, go by the setup shots, and know EXACTLY how to do things again... Professional photography is in part all about repeatable outcomes... That's why some portrait studios dont tear down their studios at night... they had an outcome they liked and they keep it for the next shoot so they can repeat the shot with a new client. There's many reasons to have such a camera whether it's a primary camera or a backup. Any maybe some photographers got the new camera and fell in love with it's form factor... Nevertheless I'm waiting anxiously to see what the new generation of cameras will bring us... Any speculators wish to guess what will come out first? The 70D or the new 5d3? =)

Upvote 0
I dont know if persay it was the 5d2 that took out the 1ds3... but as a professional, its all about having the right tool for the job... such as having the right lens for the shoot, right lighting... and for once, the 5d2 had something the 1ds3 didn't have... that is video... Whether it was a pet project other professionals wanted, or even a set up camera (most professionals on big shoots have a second camera (or third) just to take pictures of the set they are in with measuring tapes and other recordable info JUST INCASE something goes wrong, they can quickly reset up, go by the setup shots, and know EXACTLY how to do things again... Professional photography is in part all about repeatable outcomes... That's why some portrait studios dont tear down their studios at night... they had an outcome they liked and they keep it for the next shoot so they can repeat the shot with a new client. There's many reasons to have such a camera whether it's a primary camera or a backup. Any maybe some photographers got the new camera and fell in love with it's form factor... Nevertheless I'm waiting anxiously to see what the new generation of cameras will bring us... Any speculators wish to guess what will come out first? The 70D or the new 5d3? =)

Good point ! If somebody is a professional photographer then the camera is just a tool for him/her. And prices of studio stuff (lights/strobes etc) and lenses are higher then camera (especially if you shoot with L primes). And cameras are released/updated more frequenlty then lenses.

As for your question, I would bet on 5D Mk III to be released earlier :)

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
If the 7D is $1500 and the 5DIII is $3000 then there will be immediate market differentiation and very little bleeding of 7D sales to the 5DIII particularly when you consider the difference in lens costs

Heck one would forget how easy $800-1000 difference makes in sales differentiation. Why do you guys think so many 7D shooters waited until recently to jump to the 5d2... because the price difference only dropped to a few hundred. Granted, for me, I refused to pay $2600 for a camera will as little "upgrades" to the 7d, but when It dropped, i was willing to plunk the money down.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.