The 5D Mark III Megapixel Count? [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
@awinphoto fair point about the 5D2 having a feature that the 1Ds3 didn't have. But I think the point remains that too many of those that would have bought the 1Ds3 for stills decided to go with the 5D2. The specs and image quality were close enough to the 1Ds3 that the higher cost was not justified to too many photographers and therefore the 5D2 ate too much of the 1Ds3 market. I'm really just asking the question here, I've never used a 1Ds3 and am not a pro.

Ultimately, the reality is that the performance/feature difference between products has to justify the price difference.

Upvote 0
K-amps said:
mathino said:
Let's see...a FF camera with pro-level AF and 8 or more fps, more MP than the 1D X, and selling for 1/3 the price of the 1D X? And a partridge in a pear tree.

Exactly, that's not gonna happen.

I can see 5D Mk III like this:

1.) FPS: 5-6 fps max
2.) ISO: 100-25600 (even a native 12800 would work for me, expandable to 51 200)
3.) AF: at least 9 cross type points with center with higer sensitivity and ofc wider spread of them (really would prefer 7D style AF, but let's be serious, that's not gonna happen)
4.) Mpx count: Mpx of current is fine for me, no need for more
5.) Video: make it possible to shoot 1080p at 60fps

...and a useful thing would be if it wold be compatible with: WFT-E6A Wireless File Transmitter and GP-E1 GPS Receiver.

Thats my 2 cents.

4 years after the mk.ii and all we get is a 2fps gain, no MP gain, Really? I'd rather get the MK.2 unless there are visual imporovements in RAW ISO performance, not just Digic 5 magic on jpegs.

Sorry Canon; but there needs to be more..... I am with Lensrightin dude who thinks Canon has the product offering we have been waiting for; at the right price, but is overprotecting it's 1D line.... P&S's have GPS/HDR/Wireless/Pano functionality at 25% of the price of a 5d body..., why is it such an issue to offer more in a $2.5k body? I mean look at what Magic Lantern did... We need a bit of perspective on this.... Why is everyone acting like cattle on this and going along with these next to nothing improvements?

Give us decent AF/ More AEB / Wireless Flash / and a suprise new "X" factor and we will bite, otherwise it is back to Focus and recompose for some of us.

ummm... you DO know this is all speculation until the actual camera is announced... NO ONE knows what it will be except the top people within Canon and the R&D dept plus maybe a handful of select pro's and reps but they are on a non disclose relationship and wouldn't release anything if their lives depended on it... So lets just calm down a tad until we get something more definitive. =)

Upvote 0
ummm... you DO know this is all speculation until the actual camera is announced... NO ONE knows what it will be except the top people within Canon and the R&D dept plus maybe a handful of select pro's and reps but they are on a non disclose relationship and wouldn't release anything if their lives depended on it... So lets just calm down a tad until we get something more definitive. =)

Those specs that I mentioned was specs that will work for me just fine - nothing real :)

And sure, all these specs are just speculations (we are at rumors site ;-) ) and ofc only a few people know what 5D Mk III would be. Let's just wait and see. Oh, and we can speculate on specs in th meantime :p

Upvote 0
Meh said:
@awinphoto fair point about the 5D2 having a feature that the 1Ds3 didn't have. But I think the point remains that too many of those that would have bought the 1Ds3 for stills decided to go with the 5D2. The specs and image quality were close enough to the 1Ds3 that the higher cost was not justified to too many photographers and therefore the 5D2 ate too much of the 1Ds3 market. I'm really just asking the question here, I've never used a 1Ds3 and am not a pro.

Ultimately, the reality is that the performance/feature difference between products has to justify the price difference.

@meh, fair enough... I've been a working pro for the last decade more or less... I dont own but have shot with the 1d series and the 1ds series... as well as nokin and MF and LF... In the end, for professionals, we invest a lot of money into our training/gear/etc.. For me, i'd die for a 1ds3 or 1dx but in the end, I know I can get by with my 5d2 and 7d... and for a long time I just shot with the 7d with my clients without any complaints on the clients behalf on IQ... I know other pro's that have shot for the Olympic teams that shot with 20D's and such... In the end we all have to sit down and justify why we need the gear we have... not everyone, even the pro's, can plunk down on the latest and greatest for the hell of it without having that must have feature that is worth the price and then some... I cannot speak for those who chose the 5d2 over the 1ds... There are those who are dedicated to the 1d series because of their offerings, sealing, body, etc... It's about choosing the right tool to accomplish the task at hand.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
awinphoto said:
you DO know this is all speculation until the actual camera is announced...

Wait, wait...all of a sudden I shouldn't make buying decisions based on rumors and hearsay? When did that change? :eek:

Haha... I just dont see the point getting too hot and bothered about rumors and speculations when there may be no need for it in the first place. =) Perhaps this is why people are getting high blood pressure so frequently now... They spend too much time on rumor sites, haha.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
awinphoto said:
Perhaps this is why people are getting high blood pressure so frequently now... They spend too much time on rumor sites, haha.

At least there are good drugs to treat that. I don't know of any pharma company developing medicines to treat L-disease...

Hahaha at least if you spend the money on those good drugs, we will be broke and not afford the money for the L-disease... hahaha ;D

Upvote 0
R

rocketdesigner

mathino said:
Let's see...a FF camera with pro-level AF and 8 or more fps, more MP than the 1D X, and selling for 1/3 the price of the 1D X? And a partridge in a pear tree.

Exactly, that's not gonna happen.

I can see 5D Mk III like this:

1.) FPS: 5-6 fps max
2.) ISO: 100-25600 (even a native 12800 would work for me, expandable to 51 200)
3.) AF: at least 9 cross type points with center with higer sensitivity and ofc wider spread of them (really would prefer 7D style AF, but let's be serious, that's not gonna happen)
4.) Mpx count: Mpx of current is fine for me, no need for more
5.) Video: make it possible to shoot 1080p at 60fps

...and a useful thing would be if it wold be compatible with: WFT-E6A Wireless File Transmitter and GP-E1 GPS Receiver.

Thats my 2 cents.

"5.) Video: make it possible to shoot 1080p at 60fps"

Why would the 5D mkIII include a much sought after function - which the 1Dx does not have?

This is starting to get like the occaisional "lets trade Joe Blow for Albert Pujols" posts on sports sites ... it makes absolutely no sense.

Upvote 0
awinphoto said:
neuroanatomist said:
awinphoto said:
Perhaps this is why people are getting high blood pressure so frequently now... They spend too much time on rumor sites, haha.

At least there are good drugs to treat that. I don't know of any pharma company developing medicines to treat L-disease...

Hahaha at least if you spend the money on those good drugs, we will be broke and not afford the money for the L-disease... hahaha ;D

Great fun over here ;D

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
So the 1DX is doing 12fps at 18MP.
That's 216MP/second, with dual DIGIC V.

If the 5D3 is only a single DIGIC V (just as the current 5D2 is only single chip, then that's 108MP/second.

At 22MP, that's just under 5fps.

If the 14fps (JPEG only) figure is used, that's about 5.7fps with a single DIGIC V.

The 5D3 will not do 6fps.

Thats also assuming the camera doesn't chew up extra chip speed for intermittent AF in burst modes and metering (the 7d and 1dx had a separate chip just for AF)... So we could then be back down to 4fps

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
awinphoto said:
Meh said:

@meh, fair enough... I've been a working pro for the last decade more or less... I dont own but have shot with the 1d series and the 1ds series... as well as nokin and MF and LF... In the end, for professionals, we invest a lot of money into our training/gear/etc.. For me, i'd die for a 1ds3 or 1dx but in the end, I know I can get by with my 5d2 and 7d... and for a long time I just shot with the 7d with my clients without any complaints on the clients behalf on IQ... I know other pro's that have shot for the Olympic teams that shot with 20D's and such... In the end we all have to sit down and justify why we need the gear we have... not everyone, even the pro's, can plunk down on the latest and greatest for the hell of it without having that must have feature that is worth the price and then some... I cannot speak for those who chose the 5d2 over the 1ds... There are those who are dedicated to the 1d series because of their offerings, sealing, body, etc... It's about choosing the right tool to accomplish the task at hand.

In a way, you did choose the 5D2 over the 1Ds3... as a working pro making a living meeting your client's needs you chose the 5D2 and 7D. If there was a compelling reason you would have paid the extra for a 1 series body. In the end, that's the issue that Canon faced... the weather sealing and AF of the 1Ds3 (etc.) was only worth the extra price to a small segment of the market and 1Ds3 sales dropped like stone after the 5D2 was released. If the 5D3 is too good, the market for the 1DX will be small but maybe that's ok, Canon essentially dropped the 1Ds series for now, the 1DX is more a replacement for the 1D4 anyway.

Upvote 0
Meh said:
awinphoto said:
Meh said:

In a way, you did choose the 5D2 over the 1Ds3... as a working pro making a living meeting your client's needs you chose the 5D2 and 7D. If there was a compelling reason you would have paid the extra for a 1 series body. In the end, that's the issue that Canon faced... the weather sealing and AF of the 1Ds3 (etc.) was only worth the extra price to a small segment of the market and 1Ds3 sales dropped like stone after the 5D2 was released. If the 5D3 is too good, the market for the 1DX will be small but maybe that's ok, Canon essentially dropped the 1Ds series for now, the 1DX is more a replacement for the 1D4 anyway.

Well those were my reasonings for not owning those cameras... They are excellent tools and perhaps IF my main client was lets say Sports illustrated, or out in the wild shooting for national geo where i need the AF, Sealing, Robust Body... If i lived and died by the AF... If I needed everything the 1d series had to offer... If I could justify it as any OTHER REASON than a splurge, for me, how I shoot, and what I need it to do, then I would get it. But until that day, then I will soldier on with what I got.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
My 7D is back at Canon service for the third time, hopefully being cured of Canon autofocus disease, but I am not optimistic. I'm not too upset, because my 5D classic, which I prefer for the image quality, is currently focusing very well for me. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will continue.

I am very anxious to find out what the 5D III will offer me. I have money to spend and nothing exciting to spend it on right now.

I care nothing about video and I don't need a very high frame rate. My 5D is basically a studio and outdoor portrait camera. I'd like to see the Mark III write faster to the memory card, and it would be nice to have that new micro-adjust feature that allows you to set adjustment points for different focal lengths of a particular zoom lens.

What would really be nice is to have an autofocus system that compensates automatically for incorrect calibration of the lens or body. I'm so sick of wasting time and dollars trying to find lenses that will work with a particular body. Unfortunately, I see no sign of such a system in the near future.

Mike

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

awinphoto said:
I cannot speak for those who chose the 5d2 over the 1ds... There are those who are dedicated to the 1d series because of their offerings, sealing, body, etc... It's about choosing the right tool to accomplish the task at hand.

Shooting back to back with the 5DII and 1Ds3 my conclusions are

- 5DII is the best all round, best at low light, best at high IQ (1Ds3 only goes to 1600)
- give the 1Ds3 good light and lower iso it gives best IQ

For a wedding I would still choose the 5DII due to the likelyhood of higher iso needed

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
awinphoto said:
I cannot speak for those who chose the 5d2 over the 1ds... There are those who are dedicated to the 1d series because of their offerings, sealing, body, etc... It's about choosing the right tool to accomplish the task at hand.

Shooting back to back with the 5DII and 1Ds3 my conclusions are

- 5DII is the best all round, best at low light, best at high IQ (1Ds3 only goes to 1600)
- give the 1Ds3 good light and lower iso it gives best IQ

For a wedding I would still choose the 5DII due to the likelyhood of higher iso needed

Add in the 5D is smaller and less bulky which IMO is another big benfit for weddings
I need a another 5D for weddings I just wish they would hurry up and get the mk3 out i dont want to get another mk2 and considered a used mk 1 to tide me over but no AF micro adjust is a deal breaker at the used prices they go for, perhaps if I could get a mk 1 for 500 buck i'd get it. And with the 7D 2 on the horizon it rules out a 7D and 17-55 f2.8. While i like the 24-205 f4 it is great during the day and before dark, but once night hits its just too slow. I find at receptions you have to be shooting 3200iso and f2.8 or 1600 iso and f2

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

wickidwombat said:
Add in the 5D is smaller and less bulky which IMO is another big benfit for weddings
I need a another 5D for weddings I just wish they would hurry up and get the mk3 out i dont want to get another mk2 and considered a used mk 1 to tide me over but no AF micro adjust is a deal breaker at the used prices they go for, perhaps if I could get a mk 1 for 500 buck i'd get it. And with the 7D 2 on the horizon it rules out a 7D and 17-55 f2.8. While i like the 24-205 f4 it is great during the day and before dark, but once night hits its just too slow. I find at receptions you have to be shooting 3200iso and f2.8 or 1600 iso and f2

I find that the 50 and 85 are best for receptions with the 135 as backup. I am often allowed to walk around with a light stand and umbrella - in which case the 24-105 comes out and I shoot at f5.6, 1/50, iso800.

I like the ability to turn the body to portrait, and there little difference in the bulk between a 1Ds3 or 5DII+grip

Upvote 0
With the risc for beeing called a gearhead or whatever, I will soon change to Nikon despite I have 580EX, 70-200 1:2,8L WFT and a 40D (I know it will cost a lot).
I have sold my 20D two years ago to buy a new Canon semi-pro camera which must be able to use autofocus while taking video. Sony, Panasonic and Nikon can do it . . . . Come ON Canon, get a hold of your self.

If Canon want to keep being the leading manufactor of cameras in the world, Canon should make a camera with the following specs (will be between 1Dx and 7D (5D mrk II):

Vari-angle monitor 3" OLED or LCD 1.1 mil. pixels display (good in the sun)(protects the oled glas)
Perhaps FF 18MP from 1Dx
ISO 100-51200
The necessary numbers of DIGIC 5+
Video 1080p mode with 60fps
Build-in Stereo mic
Head phone out
Autofocus at Video and Live View
Facedetection during both Video and still
Interchangeable Focusing Screen, Rule of Thirds known as the Golden Mean or Golden Ratio.
Continuous shooting 8fps
Magnisium alloy body
Water resistant (Weathersealing)
19 AF points with 9 cross over
Both CF and SD slots
Build-in WiFi per-to-per directly to laptop
GPS

No matter the cost, I would buy IT !!! (better than change to Nikon, that would also cost).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.