The Canon EOS Kiss M / EOS M50 Shows Up for Certification

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
The Kiss moniker suggests a consumer (xxD/xxxD) level ILC. But no Rebel moniker. Perhaps a mirrorless equivalent of the 77D / Kiss 9000.

You beat me to it, Neuro. The 77D immediately came to mind when I saw this.

Now lose the 'Kiss' and call it M1 and this might have been a much juicier tell.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
rrcphoto said:
As of next Feb or so, the M5 is 1.5 years old. it's due for an upgrade. Since this is just the bluetooth module certification, we could be talking closer to 2 years old for the M5 (sept 2018).

Could canon be calling that an M50 or a Kiss M because it's finally more mainstream - altogether possible and more probable. there's no laws that say that canon must follow it's DSLR naming convention for the M series.

One would think the now pretty well segmented M5-6 / M10 / M100 market wouldn't move product at level X to a different number of digits. In other words, I expect an M5 or M6 sequel to just be a 'EOS M5 Mk II'.

I think M50 = 77D-like middle option between M5-6 and M100, and M50 would have an integral VF and M60 (to be released someday?) might be the VF-less design.

- A

Upvote 0

Dec 18, 2014
ahsanford said:
rrcphoto said:
As of next Feb or so, the M5 is 1.5 years old. it's due for an upgrade. Since this is just the bluetooth module certification, we could be talking closer to 2 years old for the M5 (sept 2018).

Could canon be calling that an M50 or a Kiss M because it's finally more mainstream - altogether possible and more probable. there's no laws that say that canon must follow it's DSLR naming convention for the M series.

One would think the now pretty well segmented M5-6 / M10 / M100 market wouldn't move product at level X to a different number of digits. In other words, I expect an M5 or M6 sequel to just be a 'EOS M5 Mk II'.

I think M50 = 77D-like middle option between M5-6 and M100, and M50 would have an integral VF and M60 (to be released someday?) might be the VF-less design.

Given the name the M50 could be expected to be a M10 with EVF but sans hotshoe. A M60 would be one with optional EVF, but still no hot shoe. I don't expect the last one outside the Canon design center!

If it's called Kiss M on the Canon home market than we could expect that the much cheaper to make mirrorless M series could replace that that's called Rebels and high digit DSLRs elsewhere!

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
ahsanford said:
rrcphoto said:

- A

if that was the case, why wasn't there a M3 Mark II, or a M10 mark II,etc,etc.

it seems like the powershot group is not going by the same sequencing as the DSLR group, and this is as far as nokishita, a powershot camera.

the M10 as well has been replaced. the current naming is M5,M6,M100. the M10 went to M100, could the M5 go to M50? why not?

by the time this camera comes out it the M5 will be almost 2 years old.

it's overdue for a replacement already.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
rrcphoto said:
ahsanford said:
rrcphoto said:

- A

if that was the case, why wasn't there a M3 Mark II, or a M10 mark II,etc,etc.

it seems like the powershot group is not going by the same sequencing as the DSLR group, and this is as far as nokishita, a powershot camera.

the M10 as well has been replaced. the current naming is M5,M6,M100. the M10 went to M100, could the M5 go to M50? why not?

by the time this camera comes out it the M5 will be almost 2 years old.

it's overdue for a replacement already.

also, next year we should be seeing DIGIC 8 out in the wild.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Quackator said:
I'd bet for an APS-C with EF/EF-S mount.

I'm skeptical, but I actually hope this is what comes out. If so, it almost certainly indicates that the full frame mirrorless will have an EF mount.

Agreed.

I regularly suggest a body in the style of a Hasselblad 500 for their first full frame mirrorless offering. I was visiting a local camera shop, and got to look at the C200. Bingo. They already have a body that is close enough to make modifying it fairly easy.

So it wouldn't be all that much a stretch.

I can only hope...

Upvote 0
TAF said:
neuroanatomist said:
Quackator said:
I'd bet for an APS-C with EF/EF-S mount.

I'm skeptical, but I actually hope this is what comes out. If so, it almost certainly indicates that the full frame mirrorless will have an EF mount.

Agreed.

I regularly suggest a body in the style of a Hasselblad 500 for their first full frame mirrorless offering. I was visiting a local camera shop, and got to look at the C200. Bingo. They already have a body that is close enough to make modifying it fairly easy.

So it wouldn't be all that much a stretch.

I can only hope...

dclassiccamera1.jpg

You mean this?! Get lost! ;D For stills it seems impractical in almost every way.
And if you want a fullframe mirrorless EF video body... then you already got C200, right?

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
angrykarl said:
You mean this?! Get lost! ;D For stills it seems impractical in almost every way.

I think someone is having a laugh :) The Hasselblad 500 is a huge mirror in a box. Making a mirrorless camera in that format is just ridiculous!

Mirrorless allows new mounts with far greater design flexibility. I want to see innovation, I want to see new designs, new ergonomics. Some things won't work, some things will. But this is the only way to compete.

But sticking to the current layout (and lens mount) just because people are afraid of change isn't the way to innovate.

Jolyon

ps. people are afraid of losing their investment in lenses. Don't you realise that a lifetime lens is a thing of the past? New sensors, new lens releases, how many of you have traded in your 24-70 mark 1 for a mark 2? How many will trade in the mark 2 to get the IS version when that arrives?

Upvote 0
[/quote]

Mirrorless allows new mounts with far greater design flexibility. I want to see innovation, I want to see new designs, new ergonomics. Some things won't work, some things will. But this is the only way to compete.

But sticking to the current layout (and lens mount) just because people are afraid of change isn't the way to innovate.

Jolyon

ps. people are afraid of losing their investment in lenses. Don't you realise that a lifetime lens is a thing of the past? New sensors, new lens releases, how many of you have traded in your 24-70 mark 1 for a mark 2? How many will trade in the mark 2 to get the IS version when that arrives?
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking to slowly replace my dslr gear with mirrorless ecosystem, and I'm interested to see what Canon has to offer in feature. I'd like to see new innovations, and high-end mirrorless design lenses, like Fuji have, and full support to system.

I really like, and love my EF glass, but they can all be replaced with new, even more attractive options.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
rrcphoto said:
bf said:
Kiss also says it should not be full-frame.

it does?
Rebel Kiss were originally film based cameras - full frame.

Kiss has always been the 'low end', and I don't think we're at the stage yet where low-end full-frame cameras are likely.

Upvote 0

bf

Jul 30, 2014
jolyonralph said:
rrcphoto said:
bf said:

it does?

Kiss has always been the 'low end', and I don't think we're at the stage yet where low-end full-frame cameras are likely.

I don't even recall Canon offering a full-frame DSLR on the rebel line. The most prosumer attempt for M system has been M5 so far. It's very unlikely to call anything with a full-frame sensor rebel or kiss.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
bf said:
jolyonralph said:
rrcphoto said:
bf said:

it does?

I don't even recall Canon offering a DSLR on the rebel line. The most prosumer attempt for M system has been M5 so far. It's very unlikely to call anything with a full-frame sensor rebel or kiss.

You don't recall Canon offering DSLR Rebels? There are a whole bunch still offered. I doubt the Rebel line of DSLRs will go away ver soon they sell like hotcakes!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
bf said:
I don't even recall Canon offering a DSLR on the rebel line.

Did you mean SLR (not digital). Yes, there were like 10 Rebel film cameras (Rebel, Rebel II, Rebel X, G, K2, Ti, more I can't remember) before the first Rebel dSLR. That first Rebel dSLR was the EOS 300D in most of the world, but in the US it was the Digital Rebel.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
bf said:
jolyonralph said:
rrcphoto said:
bf said:

it does?

I don't even recall Canon offering a DSLR on the rebel line. The most prosumer attempt for M system has been M5 so far. It's very unlikely to call anything with a full-frame sensor rebel or kiss.

Rebel / Kiss has to do with the pentamirror, ergonomics and general quality of the camera body. sensor size has squat to do with it really. Canon had 35mm cameras in the film days that were called Rebel/Kiss and certainly could again in digital.

Upvote 0

bf

Jul 30, 2014
Adelino said:
bf said:
jolyonralph said:
rrcphoto said:
bf said:

it does?

You don't recall Canon offering DSLR Rebels? There are a whole bunch still offered. I doubt the Rebel line of DSLRs will go away ver soon they sell like hotcakes!

I meant a "full-frame" DSLR rebel ...

Upvote 0