The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
Yes it is a serious question. You said lots folks "settle" for Canon. You also said they are buying cameras they don't necessarily want. These are your words not mine. Maybe you didn't mean it that way. Who knows?
I could WANT a 45MP R3 but SETTLE for a 24MP R3, that certainly wouldn't make the R3 inferior and certainly wouldn't justify me selling all of my Canon gear to buy, say, a Sony A1. The only point I was making was that just because Canon puts out a product and that product sells doesn't mean every person who bought said camera was 100% satisfied with its feature set. Sometimes people settle for a camera that doesn't tick all the boxes but because the cons don't outweigh the pros, it wouldn't be considered inferior by any means. Make sense?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Just curious, what are people's thoughts on why Canon has stayed quiet on the sensor resolution? For those thinking Canon strategically chose 24MP, why not disclose that with the rest of the marketing? Do you think there's a reason they've kept this bit of information elusive?
Canon has released only a handful of headliner features. Unless a camera has some groundbreaking resolution like the highest resolution ever, there's not much sense in wasting valuable marketing dollars and time on it.

Canon doesn't consider the resolution to be important. Why "release" a specification that doesn't matter.

That kind of granular detail doesn't make for good marketing. Much more sense to talk about the new sensor design and the eye-controlled autofocus.

Marketing isn't about "disclosure" it's about selling. It's the old thing about selling the sizzle not the steak.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
Canon has released only a handful of headliner features. Unless a camera has some groundbreaking resolution like the highest resolution ever, there's not much sense in wasting valuable marketing dollars and time on it.

Canon doesn't consider the resolution to be important. Why "release" a specification that doesn't matter.

That kind of granular detail doesn't make for good marketing. Much more sense to talk about the new sensor design and the eye-controlled autofocus.

Marketing isn't about "disclosure" it's about selling. It's the old thing about selling the sizzle not the steak.
I don't think adding 24MP to the sensor information would increase their marketing dollars whatsoever. But to be fair, most of the "specs" about this camera have come from rumor sites not Canon directly, so maybe they aren't withholding, they just haven't released the granular details. Fair enough.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Sony A1: 50megapixel and 30fps
Canon R3 six months later: 24megapixel and 30fps

Errggg... what’s wrong Canon?
It hasn’t occurred to you that maybe Sony have the strategy wrong in offering 50mp ? I’m sure some people that are shooting full raw at that speed are going to soon get sick of data overload. Time will tell.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It hasn’t occurred to you that maybe Sony have the strategy wrong in offering 50mp ? I’m sure some people that are shooting full raw at that speed are going to soon get sick of data overload. Time will tell.
Some people maybe, but the folks shooting the 5DS/R and R5 here, as well as the D850 aren't complaining about their 45-50 Mpx files, although only the R5 is really fast, and there are already 84 pages of A1 shots on Fred Miranda https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1690968/83#lastmessage

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My 5DS doesn’t shoot at 30 FPS - thank goodness
I was out this afternoon doing a butterfly shoot. It's extremely windy today, as you know, and the butterfly I wanted was behind some stalks of grass and all were waving like mad, but the butterfly occasionally was unobstructed. With 20 fps bursts and 1/5000s, I got perfect shots where there were clear views of the Common Blue - the best I have ever had. Even at a distance of 2-2.5m, I had to crop like mad to get 3-4 Mpx, but with the R5 and 100-500, they are sharp and detailed enough. This is where the RF 100-500mm, like the 100-400mm II, is so good for me - I saw only a couple of these in a couple of acres and could carry the light lens with its short mfd.309A7813-DxO_common_blue_butterfly_side-ls-sm.jpeg309A7872-DxO_common_blue_butterfly_top-ls-sm.jpeg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I was out this afternoon doing a butterfly shoot. It's extremely windy today, as you know, and the butterfly I wanted was behind some stalks of grass and all were waving like mad, but the butterfly occasionally was unobstructed. With 20 fps bursts and 1/5000s, I got perfect shots where there were clear views of the Common Blue - the best I have ever had. Even at a distance of 2-2.5m, I had to crop like mad to get 3-4 Mpx, but with the R5 and 100-500, they are sharp and detailed enough. This is where the RF 100-500mm, like the 100-400mm II, is so good for me - I saw only a couple of these in a couple of acres and could carry the light lens with its short mfd.View attachment 199408View attachment 199409
It's a great shame we don't seem to have anything like the amount of butterflies now compare to when I was a lad. I remember my parents had a buddleia in their garden, we used to call it the 'Butterfly Bush' and in the summer is was absolutely covered in all kinds of butterflies - Red Admirals, Peacocks, Tortoiseshell, Painted Lady to name a few. I have a buddleia in my garden now and I'm lucky to see a Cabbage White on it, nothing else.
Lovely shots..

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It's a great shame we don't seem to have anything like the amount of butterflies now compare to when I was a lad. I remember my parents had a buddleia in their garden, we used to call it the 'Butterfly Bush' and in the summer is was absolutely covered in all kinds of butterflies - Red Admirals, Peacocks, Tortoiseshell, Painted Lady to name a few. I have a buddleia in my garden now and I'm lucky to see a Cabbage White on it, nothing else.
Lovely shots..
It's much more than a shame. Small birds rely on caterpillars for food as well as insects. The number of Blue Tits has declined terribly this year because of the shiortage of caterpillars. Remember how 20 years ago when driving the windscreen got splattered by insects? Now, it it remains largely clean.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
It's much more than a shame. Small birds rely on caterpillars for food as well as insects. The number of Blue Tits has declined terribly this year because of the shiortage of caterpillars. Remember how 20 years ago when driving the windscreen got splattered by insects? Now, it it remains largely clean.
Yes there is a dramatic difference now in flies splattered on the windscreen. Really dramatic. It’s not due to more aerodynamic shapes of cars and windscreen today either as even my Land Rover that has the aerodynamics of a brick doesn’t get insects on the windscreen. Not good.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Jeff Cable replied to a question on facebook about whether he shoots in RAW .
Looks like no one can open RAW files from the R3 yet , so all available photos must be jpegs which means this rumour has no foundation and the R3's resolution is still unknown
Edit: didn't realise jpegs can be full resolution size so may well be 24mp which is a sensible size for a sports camera after allCF031ED1-F2B2-4B42-AD73-B64A48A2A9F6.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
Jeff Cable replied to a question on facebook about whether he shoots in RAW .
Looks like no one can open RAW files from the R3 yet , so all available photos must be jpegs which means this rumour has no foundation and the R3's resolution is still unknownView attachment 199421

How does this affect the foundation of the rumour? Unless there are multiple JPEG resolution settings, other than what we currently have available on other EOS cameras, it's still not looking good for a resolution of more than 24 megapixels.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes. I’ve been using 5DS cameras since 2016 and recon I have shares in Western Digital by now. And the 5DS only shoots at 5 FPS - thank goodness
As you must have seen from my posts, I am happy using the 5 fps of the 5DSR and it can make life a lot easier editing! You have to have a different technique for the high fps - ruthlessly edit quickly, and I have only ever kept the best of each set of shots. Fortunately, Canon CRAW gives file sizes half or less of those from the 5DSR.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The vast majority of us don’t need 30 fps but do like maximum resolution. 20fps is fine. So Canon: give us a R5 in a full pro body please! What’s so difficult here?
Once again: how do you know what ‘the vast majority of us’ want? Show us your market research data. Put up or shut up.

Incidentally, I’m pretty sure ‘the vast majority of us’ can’t afford an R3 or an R1, so there’s that.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Just curious, what are people's thoughts on why Canon has stayed quiet on the sensor resolution? For those thinking Canon strategically chose 24MP, why not disclose that with the rest of the marketing? Do you think there's a reason they've kept this bit of information elusive?
Don't know the reason, but Canon does not typically give the sensor resolution until the official release announcement. So it is not unusual.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Canon's research doesn't necessarily equate to what "most of us want"; a lot of folks SETTLE with what Canon options they have. Just because people are buying Canon cameras certainly doesn't mean those cameras are what they wanted. Sometimes good enough is...good enough.
Is market research 100% accurate - of course not. Does is tell Canon what "most of us want"? probably yes. It certainly tells them what MORE people want than other possibilities. That is why companies do market research. If their camera is not what YOU want, do not assume that you are most people. If you feel like you are "settling" for a camera in today''s world where virtually every camera released is amazing and can do pretty much anything that is possible, than maybe it's your attitude that is the problem - not the camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
The vast majority of us don’t need 30 fps but do like maximum resolution. 20fps is fine. So Canon: give us a R5 in a full pro body please! What’s so difficult here?
Canon will no doubt have a high mp pro body camera (R1) within a year. They will not let the Nikon Z9 own that part of the market for very long.

Upvote 0