The Mess That is the Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Rumor Mill

Apr 25, 2011
BillB said:
So did Canon delay the rollout? Was it somebody messing with our minds? Or did the rumors just get it wrong? Maybe Canon wants Nikon to put its cards on the table first (marketing strategy). Or maybe Canon is just taking its time. Or maybe it is moving as fast as it wants to (development schedule).
Maybe Canon just doesn't want to release an unfinished product.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
filipe.ngra said:
Did you guys know that the m50 (i have bought one to my wife) have eye focus that works very nice? It is the absolutly main feature that will make me move to one ff mirrorless.

yes. first AF system in any Canon camera that i consider "competitive and halfway advanced". it could be much better than that really. "AI-AF" that is truly "intelligent" and "truly intuitive" .. instead of 199 "custom function AF settings filling 5 menu screens" ... or "AF-MA hell".

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
BillB said:
So did Canon delay the rollout? Was it somebody messing with our minds? Or did the rumors just get it wrong? Maybe Canon wants Nikon to put its cards on the table first (marketing strategy). Or maybe Canon is just taking its time. Or maybe it is moving as fast as it wants to (development schedule).

Going back about a year or so, the most reliable rumors have said Canon mirrorless FF announcement in last quarter 2018 and rollout in early 2019.

Upvote 0
BillB said:

It’s highly unlikely that canon wants Nikon to show its cards at least with the intent to change plans, I think it is safe to say at this point the hardware is set in stone. Maybe price points and marketing can be flexible to address competition, but then Sony has been hanging it out there for years.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
applecider said:
BillB said:

It’s highly unlikely that canon wants Nikon to show its cards at least with the intent to change plans, I think it is safe to say at this point the hardware is set in stone. Maybe price points and marketing can be flexible to address competition, but then Sony has been hanging it out there for years.

One also has to consider that Canon, Nikon, and Sony are all (presumably) doing industrial espionage on each other and they probably have a very good idea of what is coming from each other for the next several years.....

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Don Haines said:
applecider said:
BillB said:

One also has to consider that Canon, Nikon, and Sony are all (presumably) doing industrial espionage on each other and they probably have a very good idea of what is coming from each other for the next several years.....

Most importantly, they are all studying the same universe, so if their research is decent, they all come to the same basic conclusions.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
neonlight said:
B****r. Just as I was expecting Canon's FF mirrorless to be a 5D size EF mount N****n go and announce a new mount FF MILC. You guys expecting a new mount may be right, but it makes no sense to me. I don't want to change EF lenses (just like I didn't want to change from FD ...lol).

dont worry! transition for canon ef users will be painless this time round. ef lenses will keep working. all you need will be a simple little hollow air-filled extension tube "adapter". so not like in 1987. and not like in 2018 for nikon f-users. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
neonlight said:
B****r. Just as I was expecting Canon's FF mirrorless to be a 5D size EF mount N****n go and announce a new mount FF MILC. You guys expecting a new mount may be right, but it makes no sense to me. I don't want to change EF lenses (just like I didn't want to change from FD ...lol).

Nikon are a bit different because their legacy lens lineup is a mess arising from the way they introduced AF lenses. Canon make a complete break from their FD lens line so they have a different set of parameters to their decision on mount design. I am not saying the will stay with EF, just that Nikon's design can't really be any guide.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I would be satisfied with just a Mark III teleporter from Sony.

I'd never buy a teleporter from a company that releases half-baked "beta" level products using a very fast new product cycle and then touting those products as "years ahead" of everyone else instead of taking the time to thoroughly test and revise their products to guarantee reliability and interoperability, and expects their customers to do their reliability and compatibility testing for them just so they can shout at the top of their lungs "We are the leaders in innovation" with features that (kind of) work (some of the time) out of the box.

For a teleporter or any other mission critical device, I'll always go with the company that is last to the marketplace, but brings to the market a product that has been exhaustively tested for all conceivable scenarios with every possible variation of connecting devices, power supplies, atmospheric conditions at both ends, etc.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I think it's just that: If you see Nikon marketing you cannot change the camera quickly but you can modify advertising flyers / web sites / videos to emphasize your products strengths in comparison to the product of the other company.

Another reason may be the fact that the news-like character of news fades very fast - so it might be better to create these news maybe 3 weeks in front of photokina to put a new product in the media effectively. And new news put older news down - sometimes it is better to be the second one.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Hey, this is a rumors site. I know because it says so in the name. So we want rumors, not facts. At any time a rumor can be turned into a fact, and a fact into a rumor, so at this point, both have equal weight.

Besides it’s no fun debating facts. After all, facts are real, and can’t be debated, but rumors...well, that’s something else altogether. Gives our tripod points something to dig into.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Especially when the early bird has backward compatability issues with new lenses that won't work on old cameras and old lenses that won't work on new cameras until an adapter is available for purchase bye and bye.

Name one EF lens introduced since 1987 that doesn't work as well on the latest EOS bodies as it did on the bodies current at the time it was introduced. It may not have features that newer lenses do, but every feature each lens is capable of will work on every single EOS body ever sold.

Nikon F, on the other hand...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Name one EF lens introduced since 1987 that doesn't work as well on the latest EOS bodies as it did on the bodies current at the time it was introduced. It may not have features that newer lenses do, but every feature each lens is capable of will work on every single EOS body ever sold.

Nikon F, on the other hand...
Since Nikon has announced a coming-soon FF MILC and Canon has not, it's pretty clear that BillB was referring to compatibility issues with Nikon.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Since Nikon has announced a coming-soon FF MILC and Canon has not, it's pretty clear that BillB was referring to compatibility issues with Nikon.

Maybe, but Canon was the early bird with regard to the all electronic camera/lens interface back in 1987...

Upvote 0