The next body... (my speculations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the 7D may be bought by a number of "amateur" photographers, the vast majority will be more serious amateurs. A sigificant proportion of this group of amateurs will be thinking more like a professional with similar notions of rejecting poorer work. Many will also be producing work almost as good or in some cases better than professionals. With these thoughts in mind, the majority of potential 7D/7D MkII customers would not be looking purely at sensor resolution when deciding on a replacement camera and serious wildlife and sports amateurs would not be happy with anything less, even if it did have slightly higher resolution, as it simply wouldn't do the job. While I'm not the same standard as the top pros, I need the faster frame rate, higher standard focus and weatherproofing the 7D offers and would never consider a 60D replacement, unless it was also a 7D replacement, which wuld seem unlikely. I'm sure most of the 7D owners I know would feel the same way. I also know of pros who bought 7D's, initially to replace 1D MkIII's before the MkIV was released, but also as a backup.

Upvote 0
D

Dave

look for example at the G5... what is broken?
most of the time the swivel LCD screen

If you don't use it, it won't break.

Flip screens are hardly "the future" because they've existed in the past on consumer cameras.
The 60D is no consumer camera neither is the A77 from Sony (its in competition to the 7D)

Look at the 60D, you have absolutely no buttons on the left! Perhaps
I thought so too. But actually the new design is much better if you get used to it. You can operate everything with your right hand.

Upvote 0
I'm betting theres a hefty amount of 7D buyers who lack indepth knowledge and choose there purchase based on hype skimming specs but even a "serious amature" may well deside he preffers a 650D with say 21 megapixels and better ISO performance for £300-400 less than a 7D.

The higher end models can to some extent have fluid pricing based on specs in reltion to each other but Canon are pretty much bound to having the entry level body around £600.

Upvote 0
K

KBX500

YoukY63 said:
Haydn1971 said:
moreorless said:
The fact is that most 7D buyers are amatures and for many/most of them its features are likely to be prefferable rather than essential.
Let them eat cake ! Where do you get the idea that the 7D is bought mostly by amateurs ? You need to be pretty serious or wealthy to buy a 7D over a £500 camera. In my large circle of friends, several have DSLR's, perhaps a couple have invested more than £1500 in body and lenses, another one is pretty keen and has 3 Nikon bodies (1 FF), some expensive £2k lenses, however most have bought entry level kits, plus a second lens.

Yes he is right. Canon 7D sells hundred (thousands?) times more to amateurs than to professionals. Just like 5DmII. Just check the selling figures. ;)

YoukY63 - I agree with what you're saying, in general, but I'm curious where these sales figures that you've referred to can be found. I've checked the Canon websites time and again and never found sales figures broken down by model number.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.