There Will Be a New EOS M Camera Coming in 2016 [CR2]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Re: There Will Be a New EOS M Camera Coming in 2016

AvTvM said:
aa_angus said:
Pardon me if this has already been answered, by why don't Canon make a proper mirrorless body? Like others, i would love to have a canon mirrorless as a backup to my 5D..but there is no option available. Why can't they manufacture a real competing mirrorless camera?

sorry mate, but "you are the ONLY ONE who wants a full-featured, compact mirrorless camera ... so Canon will NOT build one for you" ... or so the CanonFanBoy-Neuroconomists say. ::) :p

Glad to see you are finally starting to understand. Just go buy a Sony. Satisfy your fetish... just make sure you lock the door when you do. ::)

Upvote 0
I love my 5D3 and Canon lenses, but when I wanted a small, light, mirrorless walk around camera for everyday street and portrait shooting I didn't see anything interesting in the Canon department. Instead I went for a used Fuji XE1, an old 24mm and 40mm manual focus prime combo from Olympus and Voigtlander and I'm very happy with the kit.

The 5D3 is gathering dust on the shelf....

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
DomTomLondon said:
I love my 5D3 and Canon lenses, but when I wanted a small, light, mirrorless walk around camera for everyday street and portrait shooting I didn't see anything interesting in the Canon department.

According to CanonFanBoy-Neuronomics, this is just not possible! You would already be the third person here to be interested in a capable, compact, affordable mirrorless Canon camera system. But there is only ONE person on earth who wants such a camera - according to Neurocomics - and that would be me. ;D

DomTomLondon said:
The 5D3 is gathering dust on the shelf....
same here ... except that I keep it in a dustproof container. :D

Upvote 0
Re: There Will Be a New EOS M Camera Coming in 2016

Sharlin said:
aa_angus said:
Pardon me if this has already been answered, by why don't Canon make a proper mirrorless body? Like others, i would love to have a canon mirrorless as a backup to my 5D..but there is no option available. Why can't they manufacture a real competing mirrorless camera? Having a 6d(2) as a backup is just so boring when you already shoot with a 5.

Because the prosumer market is much smaller than the consumer market. This is also true for DSLRs but there Canon has the dominant market position, decades of engineering and marketing experience, established manufacturing, logistics, and marketing pipelines... Yes, much of that is transferrable to mirrorless, but coming up with a major new product line in a not-very-large and very competitive market is not exactly an immediately persuasive value proposition.
As for potential Canon customer, it doesn't work for me. Not even DSLS are that advanced and refined trough experiwnce, that I would buy it. They're simply not competitive enaugh for me. So I'm literally sitting here with my Nikon FX, waiting for Canon to do something, so I could buy some awesome product from them.

Count me as another person waiting for advanced Canon MILC. Now we're four. That is something... ;-)

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Re: prepare for disappointment

tomsop said:
After the dpreview of the M3 the obvious question for the rumor source would be, does m5 have dpaf? The word 'slight' improvement meant no. If the specs offered half of what people want the word 'revolutionary' or similar wording would have been used. The clues are all in what was actually said and not said.

it is quite clear what's going to come. Unfortunately. M3 Mk. II ... in unicorn-pink, funky-blue and picachu-yellow. No problem at all, that Canon does suck up to their japanese school girl customers and to brand-naive "happy snappers". All I am asking is that they *also* do provide something decent to their customers who are willing to spend money on cameras *AND* lenses. They got a line-up of EF-M lenses. Japanese schoolgirls will not buy them, since they are not available in unicorn-pink. It is *us* folks, who would buy them ... if there was a good enough camera for them. Go figure!

So stupid, Canon!

Upvote 0

d

Mar 8, 2015
AvTvM said:
JMKE said:
One of the things i would like to see (and missing on the M3) is the support for a cable remote/trigger.
So it would be usable for timelapse stuff.

M3 has WiFi ... aren't there Wifi-wireless triggers with fully programmable intervalometer function available?

It chews though batteries quickly enough already without being wirelessly tethered to a remote app. You'd be lucky to capture 200 shots in your timelapse before the battery needed changing, I'd say.

Also, you can add me to the list of people waiting for Canon to make a proper M-series mirrorless body. I bought the M3 second-hand several months ago, and it's one of the most frustrating bodies I've used. Which is a pity, as a couple of the lenses are really nice, and it's handy being able to mount my EF and EF-S lenses onto it as well.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
JMKE said:
One of the things i would like to see (and missing on the M3) is the support for a cable remote/trigger.

And a bit faster focusing would be nice.

Depending on what that "slightly upmarket" means the M5 could have a builtin interval timer like the 80D and other recent Canon DSLRs.

Upvote 0

asl

Aug 23, 2016
Would like DR like 80d or better.. and 4K and if possible DPAF, but is seems unlikely ?
The main reason i would buy one is that the 11-22mm lens looks impressive, always want one for portable/hiking/landscape setup and also have it be compatible with bigger lenses.
But never found the M cameras to be so tempting. I find 4K nice to have on my phone (can get some ok freeze frames from it also), so buying a camera without it seems backwards to day.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
According to CanonFanBoy-Neuronomics, this is just not possible! You would already be the third person here to be interested in a capable, compact, affordable mirrorless Canon camera system. But there is only ONE person on earth who wants such a camera - according to Neurocomics - and that would be me. ;D

Are you even aware that your excessive hyperbole, blatant misrepresentation, and constant complaining make you sound like a foolish, petulant child?

crashpc said:
Count me as another person waiting for advanced Canon MILC. Now we're four.

Lol.

I would think anyone with a modicum of intelligence can grasp that the membership of this forum is not representative of Canon's overall market demographic. Rather, we are a tiny and self-selected minority of users, heavily skewed toward the higher end of the gear spectrum. For example, the two most popular topics on this forum are 'Show your bird portraits' (usually meaning long, expensive lenses) and ''Anything shot with a 1D X'. Topics about 5-series camera rumors are prevalent and run to dozens (or hundreds) of posts, topics about xxxD/Rebel camera rumors wither on the vine, if they're even started.

In the global ILC market, mirrorless is 20-25%. Looking at post counts here, interest in mirrorless is 10-12% of the CR member base. So, in the tiny CR microcosm of higher-end users – arguably those who'd be most interested in an 'enthusiast EOS M', there's very little interest in mirrorless, and much less interest in a high-end prosumer M.

The market demographic and economic arguments against Canon producing such a camera in the current state of the global ILC market are strong and quite clear, to anyone with the wit to comprehend them. That shouldn't stop anyone from expressing their wishes, although doing so here on this forum is little more than pissing into the wind.

crashpc said:
Now we're four. That is something... ;-)

Indeed – four little droplets being blown around in the breeze before falling into the ocean. ;)

Upvote 0
asl said:
Would like DR like 80d or better.. and 4K and if possible DPAF, but is seems unlikely ?
The main reason i would buy one is that the 11-22mm lens looks impressive, always want one for portable/hiking/landscape setup and also have it be compatible with bigger lenses.
But never found the M cameras to be so tempting. I find 4K nice to have on my phone (can get some ok freeze frames from it also), so buying a camera without it seems backwards to day.
I have the M3 and the 11-22 (sold my original M). The 11-22 is a brilliant little lens, and with IS the handheld video is almost like it's on a tripod. It is tiny even with the 11-22 on it, and the 22mm f/2 fits anywhere for when the light goes low. The M3 system has it's faults, but I bought the whole system including both lenses, removable viewfinder, and EF-M to EF adapter cost me less than $1000. The adapter with the 35mm f/2 IS works brilliantly on the EOS-M3 for both photos and videos. I also like the M3 with the 100mm f/2.8L IS ... the tilt touchscreen really helps getting awkward macro shots quickly, and the 1.6x crop gives even better macro performance... nearly equivalent to cropping a macro shot from the 5DS system
4K and touchscreen DPAF would make an M5 irresistible for me.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
AvTvM said:
DomTomLondon said:
I love my 5D3 and Canon lenses, but when I wanted a small, light, mirrorless walk around camera for everyday street and portrait shooting I didn't see anything interesting in the Canon department.

And me, so that makes two of us :)

There are probably many who would buy it, but that's not good enough: it has to be more profitable than other products they could choose to put R&D money into.

Upvote 0
d said:
AvTvM said:
JMKE said:

M3 has WiFi ... aren't there Wifi-wireless triggers with fully programmable intervalometer function available?

It chews though batteries quickly enough already without being wirelessly tethered to a remote app. You'd be lucky to capture 200 shots in your timelapse before the battery needed changing, I'd say.

Also, you can add me to the list of people waiting for Canon to make a proper M-series mirrorless body. I bought the M3 second-hand several months ago, and it's one of the most frustrating bodies I've used. Which is a pity, as a couple of the lenses are really nice, and it's handy being able to mount my EF and EF-S lenses onto it as well.

Exactly, the battery drain. Plus for the use of triggertrap kinda stuff it would be nice as well.
It just adds to the usability. Lets wait and see what Canon brings to the table.

Upvote 0
JMKE said:
d said:
AvTvM said:
JMKE said:

Exactly, the battery drain. Plus for the use of triggertrap kinda stuff it would be nice as well.
It just adds to the usability. Lets wait and see what Canon brings to the table.
I have the plug-in power adapter for the EOS-M3, and have used it for hours of video at a time. You do have to mind the video time limit, and stop/start it, but for intervalometers it would continue until the card is full

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Sony has been trying now since they took over from Minolta to gain traction in the market.

first they went all in with DSLR's.. didn't work
then they went all in with DSLT's .. their marketshare "LEAPED" to 14%...
then they went all in with E mount APS-C.. their marketshare dumped...
then they went all in with E mount full frame.. their marketshare still languishes.

as of last year, Sony's marketshare was 14%. they had higher or just has high with DSLR's.
however, Sony's current 14% is based upon "value" which includes lenses, accessories, and camera bodies. LOL. so it's in reality even lower than this number.

Why on earth would canon follow the path of sony ... which is obviously a failed business model?

I would love a more advanced camera from Canon .. such as a SL1 like full frame mirrorless. However I can appreciate that the market simply isn't there.

It blows because all we will get is rebel like cameras in mirrorless but if you want better, vote with your feet and get something else, because it's probably not going to happen for a long time.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
rrcphoto said:
Why on earth would canon follow the path of sony ... which is obviously a failed business model?

They would...if they were STUPID. ;)

indeed. Olympus with all they have done, and even flooding the market with cheap E-PL's .. ONLY ships out 520K units a year.

That WAS your #2 vendor in mirrorless. a half a million units. that's all folks.

Upvote 0