This is what we know Canon will be announcing for Photokina

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Photokina is just over a month away, and Canon’s announcement plans haven’t exactly come into focus yet. There are the obvious products enthusiasts want Canon to announce, and then there is the reality.
Below is the gear we know for certain Canon is going to announce ahead of the September tradeshow.
We’ve got at least 3 lenses coming.

Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III
Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III

I think it would be strange if Canon didn’t announce a high volume lens. Most of us would like to see a new 50mm lens, but I sadly can’t say that one is coming.

Canon has previously waited until after Photokina to announce a high volume lens...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Re: the 90D/7D3/5DS2 not coming this year? It should not surprise us.

Re: the three lenses coming... yay, I guess? Folks should be excited about that EF-M prime, as I believe it's the first time Canon has ever made a crop-specific lens faster than f/2.8 before. One might read that as at least a tiny commitment to enthusiasts in the crop space, but I highly doubt we'll see Canon go all Fuji X with EF-M and offer a boatload of lenses like this.

Re: FF Mirrorless, there's a hole in the 'better than Rebel' release calendar from now until the middle of next year. It simply must arrive in that window.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I've chosen to stay a Canon shooter but I need another body NOW. Choices are: (1) buy a 5D-IV which is great but long-in-the-tooth; or (2) wait for FF ML or new 5DS-II or Leica compact FF ... :confused:

The 5D4 is mid product cycle -- you won't see a 5D5 for a good 2+ years. Are you worried about its value dropping precipitously, or does it lack some functionality that you need?

The 5DS2 will possibly come next year, but not imminently.

FF mirrorless may be the soonest to arrive, but it may simply be feature-wise on par with the 5D4 or 6D2 (with newer sensor tech, surely), depending on price point. There's no guarantee Canon will lead with a high end FF mirrorless offering.

If you have a pressing near-term need and you are not a working pro, considering renting to get through your pressing need. If you are pro, I'd liken this to your car breaking down and you kinda need a car to get to work. If your livelihood is at stake, I'd just get a solid body that prioritizes your biggest needs and not overthink it.

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I'll be looking closely at the Nikon FF mirrorless options. Canon could take more than another year to bring something to market. It may just be a development announcement in January, which can mean 1 to 2 years before it's in your hands. Canon can be surprisingly slow, in fact some people have been waiting for an update to the 50 f/1.4 for the better part of a decade!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I may finally jump ship this year. I've already sold my 5D3, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 16-35 f/2.8 II, and 50 f/1.4. I'm just using a T7i, 77D, M3, M6 and assorted lenses for the time being. I miss the full frame but I've been holding out for news from Canon on a possible new FF mirrorless.
Jumping to Nikon or Sony won't be too hard at this point.

Upvote 0
No new camera this year and Canon will be pretty much screwed this festival/xmas season.
With Sony probably lowering their prices by at least 200 bucks and people probably already preordering the new Nikon next month - Good luck...
I don't know if it's so smart waiting till next year if the mirrorless war is already on and so many pros already switched to Sony cause Canon keeps the rumor machine going since at least 2 years but still has no competeting product against Sony A7II/A7III, also cause the 6D2 was a massive letdown.

Personally, I'm a big Canon fan. But if they don't WANT to make money it's their fault. I'm really tempted to jump on the Sony wagon.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0