Tokina to Announce Opera 50mm f/1.4 FF

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
ahsanford said:
slclick said:
The 24-35 was the first from the Art line that you could shoot with confidence. All others required luck, AMFA, the dock or returning. Now they include bigger AF motors and I hear it's pretty darn good (85, 135)

+1 on the newer ones being better, but not all the way there consistency wise. Pity their 50 Art (something I'd consider buying despite its size) doesn't get that same 'better' AF treatment.

In fairness, Canon's also has this wide aperture consistency problem with some lenses. The 50L is a flaky AF little diva even with careful technique.

But newer Canon large aperture designs are terrific -- I rented the 85 f/1.4L IS and it's AF was so money-in-the-bank automatic that I stopped worrying about chimping and verifying and I could just enjoy my photography.

As you may have guessed, I desperately want that in a fast 50 prime for my 5D3.

- A

You may just have to get the 24mm f1.4L II and put it in front of the 2x III extender (although I don't know that any Canon WA's actually work with the extenders). I know... not small, not lightweight, and certainly not inexpensive (plus, not 1.4). But hey work-arounds are just that, and they are never the optimal...

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
basketballfreak6 said:
ahsanford said:
+1 on the newer ones being better, but not all the way there consistency wise. Pity their 50 Art (something I'd consider buying despite its size) doesn't get that same 'better' AF treatment.

my copy of the 50 art has been stellar fwiw, but maybe i am one of the lucky ones :p

you should consider giving it a shot, could always return it right if it doesn't meet expectations

back on topic my only experience with the tokina was their 11-16 on crop, great lens for the money but i absolutely hated how (ugly) flare prone the lens was considering it was a landscape lens for me, hope the new 50 fixes up flare issues (which from what i heard is a problem with a lot of tokina lenses), also not sure why they'd release that now with hugely popular options like the sigma art and tamron 45 1.8 VC that's been around for so long, i'd understand if tokina had released it with IS of some sort to differentiate i wonder how much noise this lens is actually going to make in the current market :/

For me, after two just so so copies of the 50 Art, I just couldn't try a third. I know there are good ones out there but I'd rather be patient for Canons new 50 in 2021.

Upvote 0
slclick said:
basketballfreak6 said:
ahsanford said:

my copy of the 50 art has been stellar fwiw, but maybe i am one of the lucky ones :p

you should consider giving it a shot, could always return it right if it doesn't meet expectations

back on topic my only experience with the tokina was their 11-16 on crop, great lens for the money but i absolutely hated how (ugly) flare prone the lens was considering it was a landscape lens for me, hope the new 50 fixes up flare issues (which from what i heard is a problem with a lot of tokina lenses), also not sure why they'd release that now with hugely popular options like the sigma art and tamron 45 1.8 VC that's been around for so long, i'd understand if tokina had released it with IS of some sort to differentiate i wonder how much noise this lens is actually going to make in the current market :/

For me, after two just so so copies of the 50 Art, I just couldn't try a third. I know there are good ones out there but I'd rather be patient for Canons new 50 in 2021. 2031.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Ryananthony said:
slclick said:
basketballfreak6 said:
ahsanford said:

For me, after two just so so copies of the 50 Art, I just couldn't try a third. I know there are good ones out there but I'd rather be patient for Canons new 50 in 2021. 2031.

It was funny enough the first time ;)

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
One neat design element of the lens, is it appears the focus ring will rotate in the direction that matches your Canon or Nikon camera.

not a "neat design element" ... but rather an absolute OBVIOUSNESS for any third-party lens ... FINALLY ... after decades of sucking up to Nikon only and their totally wrong / backwards twist direction ...

correctly turning lens rings (focus ring and also zoom ring on zoom lenses) is definitely an absolute pre-requisite for me to even remotely consider such a lens.

btw.: same goes for "lens foot with integrated Arca-Swiss groves" on any lens with lens collar ... MUST become an abolsute "industry standard" ASAP.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011
Wow, I have not had a Tokina lens since I had a Nikon FE. They were great lenses back then. I didn't even know they were still around. I thought that the few Tokina lenses I run across occasionally were by some random company which bought the name. Either way, no IS and this being the first of their new line leaves me suspicious. Definitely time to wait and see what reviewers say when it shows up.

Upvote 0
Anybody knows about colour rendition with Tokina?

Reason I am asking: With Sigma lenses, colour rendition is different from Canon glass (that's at least what some sources claim). While Sigma lenses are great optics, if mixed with Canon objectives, the time spent in post-production rises considerably, as one has to painstankingly adjust colours in order to get a consistent look within a body of work.

(Again, this is just what I read, I do not claim that I reached the level of professionalism where these points -- maybe just a hair in the soup? -- matter, but the fact that some folks sold there Sigma for exactly this reason made me hesitant about this brand.)

So again, my question: Based on the Tokina lenses which are already 'out', can one expect a similar issue, or is Canon and Tokina compatible in terms or colour-rendition?

Upvote 0
slclick said:
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=24355

Seriously, I haven't given Tokina a thought in over 10 years and actually wondered if they were still in business. But maybe there is something going on at Kenko to take a look at, we shall see.

Tokina has been around, staying rather quiet. They have however, been making some lenses that are rather one-of-a-kind. I’m looking at the 11-20 2.8, 14-24 2.0 specifically. It’s interesting too see them jump at a fast prime, as that is uncharted territory for them at least in the last years.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Well done Tokina.
I'm surprised Canon haven't updated their 50mm range.
I would have thought it would have been one of the easier lens to improve upon.
50mm is such a classic focal length.
I'd have thought Canon would want their to be recognised best in class.
I've had the Canon 1.8 , 1.4 and currently I have the 1.2.
I've enjoyed all three.
I'm actually very happy with the 1.2
I seem to be in a minority here but I find it a very good lens and much easier to use than the 85mm 1.2.
I find it sharp.

Upvote 0