"Two New FF Bodies in 2014" - if 5DM4, would you jump in?

beckstoy

Take The Shot, Man!
CR Pro
I know that if they actually rolled out the 5DM4, I'd be very interested in it. However, if you own a 5DM3 and have realized how amazing this camera truly is, what would it take to make you grab one immediately?

I'm so happy with my 5DM3 that I truly can't wrap my brain around what they'd have to put into a mark IV to make a guy like me jump in.

Thoughts?

Nov 17, 2011
beckstoy said:
I know that if they actually rolled out the 5DM4, I'd be very interested in it. However, if you own a 5DM3 and have realized how amazing this camera truly is, what would it take to make you grab one immediately?

I'm so happy with my 5DM3 that I truly can't wrap my brain around what they'd have to put into a mark IV to make a guy like me jump in.

Thoughts?
1. One full stop better in high iso
2. 8-10 fps regardless battery levels
3. More dual cross type AF points
I know I'm dreaming here...

Ok...getting back to real world now. We might see extra features like wifi, gps, 1/3 stop better, 7fps and the price will be @ mid $4000.

I will follow RLPhoto footsteps this time. ..bvi deals :))

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2012
* A significant improvement in Dynamic Range (at least 15 EV) sensor performance. This is the most important enhancement I'm looking for.

* The enhancements that the 1DX autofocus and metering system offers (Intelligent Tracking and Recognition with face detection). Hopefully with wider focus points coverage.

* A much improved buffering capacity for shooting RAW at 6-7 fps in full resolution

* In camera crop mode with 8 fps

* Dual compact flash memory card slots

Also, I like using a pro body with larger lenses, because they balance so much better, and I'm not a fan of battery grips. What I think would be very cool is if Canon offered the 5DM4 in two body styles:
1. The current body style (optional battery grip would still be available)
2. Pro body style (offered at a $300-400 premium)...there would still be a big enough gap in performance from the 1DX MkII, so the 5DMK4 would not cannibalize 1DX sales.

Upvote 0
beckstoy said:

Thoughts?

MUCH improved low ISO DR

working autoiso (utterly trivial to implement for zero cost)

native 2k raw video (and for sure nothing that would prevent ML from unlocking it perfectly)

native 4k video

(continue the no line-skipped video)

add basic video usability features built-in, zebras, magic focus box, focus peaking, etc. it's ridiculous they leave such basics out

vastly improved metering

vastly improved macro flash metering

7-8fps

39.3MP

built-in GPS

edit: oh yeah and interchangeable focusing screens

(keep it as close to the small size it now as possible, can get a little bigger if dual digics or slightly larger battery require it, but hopefully not a 1 series brick)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The 5D MK III design is pretty old. It sat around for a year due to the Japan earthquake, so the technology is dated. I like mine, its a great camera, but I'd be very interested to see a updated model with dual pixel sensor, dual CF slots (or CFAST).
It could use built-in wifi, and a touch screen (due to my lost feeling in my fingers), I doubt if there would be any big boost at high ISO, but even a half stop is huge.

Upvote 0
i wouldn't be on the bleeding edge of a mk4 this time i'd wait a while
with the mk3 2 out of 4 copies had severe problems that needed either a replacement or repair

things that still bug me about the mk3 that they really should fix with a firmware update at least

1) no proper auto iso and EC in MF mode i.e. have iso set to auto and ec set to +1 it will vary the iso
as i always find the camera meters underexposure from where i want to be.

2) AF points... not easy to see a lot of the time, this is very annoying still

3) be able to program that stupid rate button to a useful function (i would use it to enable/disable AEB, this would be very handy)

other than that i'm still very happy with the mk3 cameras

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
I think the only bells and whistles that could be added would not be anything that would make me chuck my MkIII.
Better Hi ISO? I doubt I would see the improvement in the real world. Real low light shooting is such a crappy affair that AF and other issues rear their heads before any client looks at noise.

Better DR? They may improve it but again, will I see it in my deliverables? Doubt my client will.

Higher frame rate? Only in silent mode but then it wouldn't be silent anymore.
WiFi? The implementation is poor in all the cameras and when it busts I will have to send it in as opposed to switching out an Eye-Fi card.
Better video? Don't shoot video.
Better AF? Nice but not switch bait.

IOW I love my camera. If a new one comes out I will buy the cheap MkIIIs as they come up used.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
My 5D3 purchased in August 2012 is the best type of digital photography gear I ever had (coming from a sony cybershot DSC-P30, F828 and a Canon 30D). To MF stars via 10x LV in a dark night is amazing, no moonlight required...I will go on with it for at least the next 5 years. My simple lens line up in my signature is all I ever need. So with a rather small photography budget I keep saving up for a 5DV. The only thing I'd expect by then: 1/2 or a full stop better high ISO beyond 25k and 24 MP max. As it never ceases to amaze you'll find me sneaking around about once a night per week...

Upvote 0
Most have been said, but in general I am fairly happy with the 5DIII. I have had absolutely no issues with it. In general I am easily tempted, so I suppose that will happen this time to. But to create an interest beyond just having the latest and greatest, I would want:

Significantly improved dynamic range at any ISO

Significant improvement in resolution, beyond what the 800/800E have.

Real auto ISO in manual mode, including an easily available exposure compensation function (like the one we currently have in other modes)

More intelligence in the AF system, ref. 1DX type performance, including visible AF confirmation points in low light.

Faster memory cards. I can live with having two types, but would prefer 2xCF.

Higher fps would be nice, but I will use the 1DX when speed is required anyway. To process 10fps series of 45MP images ... not fun!

Improved AF in live view would be nice, but not at the expense of resolution or DR.

Video: No requirements. If I could save $100 on a non-video body, I would probably go for that.

Upvote 0
Unless they improved high ISO performance by two or three stops, I don't think there's anything else that could entice me. If they could make a camera that has the native performance of what ML can do, I would be highly impressed, but I really don't see them putting out anything that has HDR Video or RAW out. Even if they did do that though, what would be the purpose of buying it if you could just get a cheaper 5d3 and have the same features through ML? It'll be fun to see what they do though. Technology is going some crazy places.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2012
I have a 5D3 too and I think it's a pretty cool camera.

(That said, my Fujifilm X100S is better at high ISO noise, IMO but it's not the all-round flexible beast that the 5D3 is.)

But... I am still rather amused at the accolades being lauded on it by what seems to be CR all-and-sundry when only a couple of years ago, it was being s***-canned by every second person on here. I really like my 5D3 - I like it a lot more than I thought I would, coming from the 5D2. The IQ is no better (again, IMO) but it's functionality/playability is excellent in comparison to the older camera. However, I still feel naggingly that it could have been just that bit better. I think it's high-ISO performance is a bit overhyped, to be honest.

Do I like it? Yes... a lot. Is it a dealbreaker of a camera? Hmmm... not so sure. I'm looking forward to what the 5D4 has to offer and I have no doubt it will be ludicrously overpriced for awhile...

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
All this 5D4 talk has got me thinking about what it would take to make me plunk down more cash and it's not really the sensor.

1. Built in RT transmitter.
2. Linked AF metering to point
3. a blinky AF point.
4. Improved sync speed to 1/250th or higher if possible.
5. Wifi - GPS
6. 7 fps
7. Dual CF
8. Lastly is a modest bump in the sensor IQ.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
RLPhoto said:
All this 5D4 talk has got me thinking about what it would take to make me plunk down more cash and it's not really the sensor.

1. Built in RT transmitter.
2. Linked AF metering to point
3. a blinky AF point.
4. Improved sync speed to 1/250th or higher if possible.
5. Wifi - GPS
6. 7 fps
7. Dual CF
8. Lastly is a modest bump in the sensor IQ.

That's a good wish list. But for my uses, most of those are not make-or-break issues to decide if I upgrade my Mk 3 to 4. I really only wish for 2 things:

1. AF. While much improved, Mk 3 still has some intermittent AF weirdness with certain lenses, mostly in AI servo but sometimes even one-shot AF can be wildly off for no apparent reason. I wish for more/better AF processor and higher voltage battery (or more efficient use of battery for AF system?) for Mk 4, and at least -3 EV AF sensitivity in low light, in addition to Canon finally deciding to implement AF assist light in-body like Nikon.

2. Little more IQ. Give us non-videographers the option to order Mk 4 without loss-pass filter, but not at a higher price like silly Nikon does with D800E. As far as DR, I'm not asking for much but just give us a little more freedom to bring up the shadow a little cleaner and bring down the highlights a teeny better.

Sold!

Upvote 0