"Two New FF Bodies in 2014" - if 5DM4, would you jump in?

Funny that not too many people speak about Improved DR, while the fierce D800 vs 5D3 discussions and the numerous DxO mark discussions always claim Canon has much worse DR compared to competition. I may not be top bad after all ;)

-An intergrated RT transmitter would be great
-Also a button to instantly switch from zone AF to center point (for as long as you hold the button) would be nice (it might be that that function is already there and that I just haven't figured out how to program it :D )

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
1. Built in RT transmitter.
2. Linked AF metering to point
3. a blinky AF point.
4. Improved sync speed to 1/250th or higher if possible.
5. Wifi - GPS
6. 7 fps
7. Dual CF
8. Lastly is a modest bump in the sensor IQ.

9. RGB metering

Excellent list - however it makes you wonder about the existing 1dx as they'll want to keep on selling it and your list includes some distinguishing items. And if they update the "sports" 1dx to the 1dx2 I'm wondering what's there to add other than a complete tech refresh.

Upvote 0

Nov 9, 2013
M.ST said:
I used the 5D Mark III only one year and cannot recommend the camera.

If the 5D Mark IV hit the market in late 2014 with two CFast card slots, better DR, better IQ, dual pixel technology not only for AF and has a bigger buffer (and no stupid rate button) for faster framerate for JPG/RAW then I buy a second one.

If you have 2 x 1D X, 2 x 1Ds Mark III and a Hasselblad H5D-60, why did you use/need a 5D Mark III for a whole year? The silent shutter mode is just about the only thing the 1D bodies lack and that's really good on de 5D.

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
1. 5D MK III will NOT be out in 2014

+1000, it will not be out next year! Not a chance in hell. - just being serious here.

Oh and I side with neuro above. In my opinion, and probably many others, the 5d3 is a light year ahead of the 5d2 and I don't mean the AF system. It's severely better at everything.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Dick said:
I guess the main issues with 5D3 (for me) are the poor DR and the unreliable focusing.

WTF? :eek:
I´d like to see DR improve, but to call it poor is to stretch it. If you take 1DX out of the competition, which body beats the AF performance of the 5DII? It´s either a rubbish statement or a body worthy of a service ...

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Dick said:
I guess the main issues with 5D3 (for me) are the poor DR and the unreliable focusing.

Indeed. The "take 3 photos to get one in focus" is really annoying, but it also deals with the lenses used. I think that the body confirms focus with a beep way too easily. There also seem to be great manufacturing tolerances. On my 5D3, the points on the right don't focus as nicely as the points on the left.

Eldar said:
It´s either a rubbish statement or a body worthy of a service ...

Take your pic. The body has been sent in under warranty and they said that it is indeed that way and can't be fixed without messing up other things.

--> Adding better quality control to the list of needed improvements!

Upvote 0
Dick said:
Take your pic. The body has been sent in under warranty and they said that it is indeed that way and can't be fixed without messing up other things.

--> Adding better quality control to the list of needed improvements!
Sounds like you need a new service contact. My experience with the 5DIII AF, provided you use it properly, is very positive and way beyond what I have seen from anything, but the 1DX.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Dick said:

How much dynamic range do you need and at what ISO do you need it?

DR drops off as ISO is increased and Canon's approach has been to offer good high-ISO bodies. If you shoot primarily in a studio environment (where you can control the light and always shoot in low ISO) then it makes sense to use a camera that has better DR, but in general photography and real-world scenarios you often have to shoot in less than ideal light.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Dick said:
neuroanatomist said:
Dick said:
Indeed. The "take 3 photos to get one in focus" is really annoying, but it also deals with the lenses used. I think that the body confirms focus with a beep way too easily. There also seem to be great manufacturing tolerances. On my 5D3, the points on the right don't focus as nicely as the points on the left.

Eldar said:
It´s either a rubbish statement or a body worthy of a service ...

"Can't be fixed without messing up other things?" Smells like BS. Your body is clearly defective, since a 1/3 hit rate is clearly not normal, nor is one side being worse (although obviously the center points are better, at least with faster lenses).

OTOH, you mention lenses. If they're Sigma, that could be the issue. If they're Canon, they may need service too - both lens and body must function properly for AF to work. My camera has the same AF sensor as yours, and might miss 1-2% of shots, not counting user error.

StudentOfLight said:
Dick said:

How much dynamic range do you need and at what ISO do you need it?

DR drops off as ISO is increased and Canon's approach has been to offer good high-ISO bodies. If you shoot primarily in a studio environment (where you can control the light and always shoot in low ISO) then it makes sense to use a camera that has better DR, but in general photography and real-world scenarios you often have to shoot in less than ideal light.

+1

The 'tipping point' (where Canon DR starts to exceed Nikon/Sony DR is usually ISO 800-1600. Personally, I shoot higher more than lower.

Upvote 0