UK pricing and ship date for the Canon EOS RP [CR1]

Mar 25, 2011
I've posted many times that mirrorless cameras cost less to manufacture. The higher prices are due to recovery of R&D and because there is little competition. A Mirrorless camera is basically a upsized P&S with a interchangable lens, and does cost more to build, but not as much more as a person might think. Much of the price includes advertising, distribution, service and R&D. It those costs are averaged over a million bodies rather than 100,000, then the price of a camera can be much lower.

I really hope the rumor is true, since it will bring FF photography to many more people, it will create a demand for new lenses and accessories, and that's good for all of us.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I've posted many times that mirrorless cameras cost less to manufacture.

Yes, you have frequently made that claim. It sounds like it should be true, but, there is zero evidence that it is true. Even if true, there is no reason to believe it will have an impact on the price to consumers. Manufacturers must recover their actual costs, but beyond that, pricing is set by the market.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The Canon will also be missing decent video, this is a budget camera with cut down specs to try and tempt people who don't need modern features like IBIS.
There are some of us that don't care about video or IBIS. So yes, I am in the market. However, a DSLR suits my needs just as well. As far as decent video goes, 1080p suits me as very decent.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Why didn't Canon just drop the price of the original R to more of an intro price and focus their efforts on a pro model mirrorless? I was waiting for a discounted "R" bundle but instead of a discount, we're getting the RP?
R got weather sealing what most of city peoples wont need and strong construction. If you raise your kids and grandkids good you dont need metal body when photographing them :)

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
B-cam or travel cam for pros...yes. Throw away? Get real. The majority of owners will be enthusiasts for whom this is their only or "best" camera.
And in ten years, when they've only used it twice and never learned how to use any of it's features, they'll still talk about that amazing camera they have in their closet. Oh boy will the ever reminisce on how amazing it is.

I'm not even joking about that, actually. It seems like there is at least one out of every ten people over the age of 30 that I meet who say this. The most common camera those people have is a Nikon D90 if they went Nikon or a Canon T1i or or Ti.
Not that good results can't come from those cameras, but yeah, the hype train died a long time ago.

Upvote 0
Why sadly? The 6D is an excellent camera and unless there is something about a mirrorless camera that makes you want to switch, why would you want to?

Oh my ... ar you living in the basement, not seeing where the world moved? :) Most probably so, as in your other message you are referring to producing DVDs. You know, , I have 3rd iteration of notebooks at home, without those ugly spinners. No wonder you don't need 4K :)

Upvote 0
The A7R III is not selling for $1600, it is selling for $2,998 and is a totally different level of camera than this new RP. Apparently you mean the A7 III, which of course does not quite have the specs that you state. And no Canon lens with adapter works flawlessly on a Sony. And exactly what this has to do with Canon's M system I have no idea.

Your post is nothing more than a meaningless/misinformed advertisement for Sony, in my opinion.

You and the ones who like your arrogant post are trolls yourself. At least learn to read - the OP mentioned A7RII, not III.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

CaMeRa QuEsT

EOS M5 11-22/4-5.6 22/2 50/1.8 STM+EF-EOSM 270EXII
Sep 12, 2016
The A7R III is not selling for $1600, it is selling for $2,998 and is a totally different level of camera than this new RP. Apparently you mean the A7 III, which of course does not quite have the specs that you state. And no Canon lens with adapter works flawlessly on a Sony. And exactly what this has to do with Canon's M system I have no idea.

Your post is nothing more than a meaningless/misinformed advertisement for Sony, in my opinion.

I'm not the one misinformed, you are the one misreading my post! Go ahead, read it again, this time with more care. I'll wait...

In fact, the Sony that most closely resembles the RP in specs, the A7II, was selling for only $900 during the holiday season (currently $1000) and also, just like the A7RII I mentioned in my previous post, it has IBIS, "some" weather sealing, and better DR than the 6DII. I didn't mention the A7II in my previous post because this camera only does Sony's flawed compressed RAW files, which to me is a worse offender than the 6DII's limited DR. If Sony updates the A7II's firmware so that it's able to do uncompressed RAW like they did with the A7RII, then this dirt cheap camera (it will most probably hit $800 very soon) will be a very hard bargain to beat.

What does all this have to do with the M system? I own M system hardware that I really love, but if one day I decide to "move up" to the R system, nothing that I currently own, apart from flashes and adapted EF/EF-S lenses, will work on the R bodies. Maybe Canon decides to make an RF to EF-M adapter so that I can use my iuuuge R lenses on my tiny M body, but that could also mean that I can pretty much kiss the possibility of ever owning an EF-M native 50mm lens goodbye forever. It's like the FD to EF transition repeating all over again. So for M system owners, Canon has failed (again) to keep us captive to the brand, providing us a clear, effortless upgrade path to the R system, instead we have to either sell everything M system, by which time we might as well as move to another brand like Nikon, for example, or keep it as a stand alone, which won't make any sense if Canon decides to do R bodies even smaller than the RP.

Upvote 0
This is very aggressive pricing if we see the MSRP at $1299 with adapter. I wouldn't be surprised if canon is breaking even or even taking a loss just to put units out there and try to get bigger penetration.
Maybe. Because the RF lenses are so worth every dime, that the EOS RP body can mean some extra lens and grip sales to compensate.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Makes a mockery of the R's pricing, at best an £1899 camera. RP seems a much better buy.
Not really. There are a lot of differences between them for both photo (image quality) and video (1080p quality, 4k, C-Log, headphone jack, clean 10-bit HDMI out) as well as the body (EVF, screen, battery, controls, build quality, weather sealing).

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
In fact, the Sony that most closely resembles the RP in specs, the A7II, was selling for only $900 during the holiday season (currently $1000) and also, just like the A7RII I mentioned in my previous post, it has IBIS, "some" weather sealing, and better DR than the 6DII. I didn't mention the A7II in my previous post because this camera only does Sony's flawed compressed RAW files, which to me is a worse offender than the 6DII's limited DR. If Sony updates the A7II's firmware so that it's able to do uncompressed RAW like they did with the A7RII, then this dirt cheap camera (it will most probably hit $800 very soon) will be a very hard bargain to beat.
The A7II is a completely different camera with phase-detect only at the center of the frame, no silent mode, no fully articulating touchscreen (and by the way, it has been able to shoot uncompressed RAW since quite a few years, so completely wrong on that one, too - not that you would be able to tell any difference at all, Canon has also started giving compressed CR3 format as an option in new cameras like this...)

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I've posted many times that mirrorless cameras cost less to manufacture. The higher prices are due to recovery of R&D and because there is little competition. A Mirrorless camera is basically a upsized P&S with a interchangable lens, and does cost more to build, but not as much more as a person might think. Much of the price includes advertising, distribution, service and R&D. It those costs are averaged over a million bodies rather than 100,000, then the price of a camera can be much lower.

I really hope the rumor is true, since it will bring FF photography to many more people, it will create a demand for new lenses and accessories, and that's good for all of us.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying it, but I think that it comes down to: does an EVF and more powerful processing capability cost more or less than a mirror box, prism, and focusing sensor? I'm not really sure. I also wonder what the initial costs are to either build or retool a part of a factory to build MILCs.

At the end of the day, I suspect that all enthusiast camera bodies are a good profit margin.

The flip side of this, which you allude to, is that in the long run, from our perspective as users, most of the spend is going to go to lenses and accessories anyways.

Upvote 0
I got a loan of the R from CPS and one of my biggest complaints was I couldn’t just look through the viewfinder. I would have to wake it up first. It’s a bit frustrating as a sports shooter and a waste of battery running the evf all the time. The 1DX line will be here to stay for a long time IMO

As someone using an EVF camera since 2014-something this really is one of the main issues I have with having an EVF. The time for the camera to start or even wake up from semi-sleep is an issue along with the drain on the batteries. That and the manufacturers lack of interest in releasing a firmware update to allow for easier switching between "normal" and wysiwyg modes...

As far as EVF resolution goes, I don't really get why people on here are so negative about the EVF in the M50. 2.36 Mdot OLED is what I have in my camera and while it isn't as good as a good optical viewfinder in some situations (mainly low light situations and high contrast situations) it is fine for most uses, certainly better than the penta-mirror viewfinder I experienced before this. Is the M50 EVF really as bad as people here make it sound or is it just a case of a "there is newer better tech on the market which makes everything before it completely useless" mentality being adopted?

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Could be a 300D moment?

Not a chance. Not when a second-hand 6D can be picked-up for £650. Or how about a decent-condition 5DS for £1,050?

This 5RP price is about £500 too high to stimulate a new market.

Pick a hobby that you are shallowly interested in; not your primary pass-time but one that you think you should spend some time trying. Now what would your response be if someone said that the entry price for that hobby was £1,399? yes I'd laugh too.

Upvote 0